Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Is L. Barton a half step slow, especially laterally?

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is L. Barton a half step slow, especially laterally?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Ute Dub
      Participant

It seems like some runs up the middle had some whiffs by our LB’ers in the last two games. I don’t mean to be too negative as that’s an awe fully tough injury to come back from in a years time. So I’m just curious.

Utesby1
      Participant

Something is going on with him. Not sure if it is lack of speed, or rust, or motivation, or scheme or something else but he has not been the player he was last year before his injury.

ProudUte
        Participant

He certainly is not as good without his partners, Reid and Damuni.

22Ute22
      Participant

Yeah, our LB’s have been fairly disappointing this year, especially with Damuni out.

LetItRide
        Participant

I would say Hall stood out as the best tackler on field especially in second half.

1 1
          Redblood
          Participant

Wouldn’t mind a 3 safety look although our safeties outside of TAO haven’t impressed either. Too bad that we are not quite deeep enough at either position.

Rick
            Participant

Redblood,
            I completely agree that the safeties played poorly against USU but that’s just not true for the Baylor game. In fact, I’d have given Ritchie player of the game. I think he was one of the leading tacklers and I think he had the defensive play of the game when he fought through a double team and made a terrific tackle on a key third down in the fourth quarter.

I do think they were all strangely out of position at times Saturday and not just in the first half when they were trying to give Barnes different looks. Weird game for them.

Hellhound152
              Participant

I so appreciate that the coaching staff basically owned the fact that they were a major part of the first quarter issues because they tried to outsmart themselves. I have wondered with Lander if he is the green dot when Reid is not out there. Being responsible for lining up the defense plus trying to do too much knowing that he is playing with backups can put you out of position and that makes you look slow even if you are going full speed.

Yergensen
            Participant

Not true, Ritchie has been high impact, when he’s on the field. Why isn’t he playing in front of Gilman?

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I haven’t heard LB’s name announced much, come to think of it. Certainly not as often as I’d expected. Interesting.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

I have thought the same thing Tony. I haven’t seen Barton blitz yet. That was a big part of his game last year before he got hurt. Maybe he has been a little precautious early until he feels 100% again.

Tony (admin)
          Keymaster

Or maybe they were holding off on that for league play…

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

He had more on his plate against USU. He is fine.

Ute Dub
        Participant

Except that he’s not the same player he was pre injury. No explosion, whiffing on tackles up the middle. His injury may take this whole year to get back to where he was.

Ben
      Participant

Yeah I think a lot of people have been feeling this way. Could be both injury-related and now having to be QB on defense which Karene has always manned since Lander has been at Utah.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.