Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Isaac Wilson this season

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Isaac Wilson this season

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

I heard from someone last night that the coaching staff wants to get Wilson as many practice reps as possible throughout the season. The best way to do this outside of being the starter is to have him run the scout team. Of course, everyone wants Rising to stay healthy and start every game. That means he will get 80% of the reps in practice starting the week before the first game.

Then, next spring Wilson will compete with the others for the QB1 job in 2025. The plan seems logical if you feel that Isaac is your QB of the future.

This information is second-hand, so I am not stating that I know this to be true. But, it does fit with what we have heard from our friend OnlyU in that the two-deep appears to be Rising/Rose.

UtesRule
      Participant

Makes sense to me.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

It’s a good plan, especially since that would mean he would be playing against the defensive starters.

Mule
        Participant

The downside though is that QB2 also needs live game reps and if Wilson is scout team QB, he’s probably not getting game reps. So which is more valuable?

1) 20% practice reps as QB2 and some live game reps (likely/hopefully mostly in 4th qtr garbage time); or

2) 80-100% of scout team reps? Mind you that scout team reps won’t be running our system, but rather impersonating our weekly opponent’s system.

My gut says that #1 is still a better foundation to build on.

jshame17
          Participant

#2 – has always been a concern of mine. We always hear that players need time to learn our system and develop confidence , then you shove a guy to the practice squad to get beat up on by our starters while they are learning a new system every week?

Doesn’t make sense for players you are banking the team’s future success on.

enigami344
            Participant

Cam also started at scout team. And I remember him saying the reps he got in scout team helped him tremendously. And Cam also got to sit next to Ludwig during game time to learn all the play call. I hope they will give Wilson the same opportunity.

22Ute22
        Participant

Not to mention that he’s probably not even ready to play as a true freshman anyway. We saw firsthand how an elite 5 star like Dante Moore fared when he played a defense that wasn’t abysmal, as a true freshman. QB is just incredibly hard to play as a true freshman, and it would definitely be best to have him as the scout team QB.

ironman1315
      Participant

Doesn’t he also need a surgery and is just waiting for a cartilage donor?

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Worked out well for Rose…

jshame17
        Participant

worked out for Rose?

Ouch….

D T
        Participant

Worked out for CR….

homer
        Participant

Rose has been here for years. Kyle made it clear last post season he has not grasped the offense. After years.

Let’s go Huard!

Charlie
      Participant

Whoever takes on QB for the scout team also has a plan to allow them to compete for QB1 the following year. With the scout team assignment there continues to be an opportunity to learn more of the Utah offence along the way. There is nothing wrong about scout team QB the first year. The scout team QB will have enough Utah playbook down to get spot experience at the end of a game. The scout team QB doesn’t take hits unless the next game prep includes a running QB as a key threat like AFA. In these cases, often the running scout team QB may be others down the depth chart that could be a WR, DB or whatever. Last, Wilson will follow a path of his own capabilities, not simply follow others that had similar assignments. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.