Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

It is difficult seeing any value in a FCS game

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football It is difficult seeing any value in a FCS game

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      2 3
      EagleMountainUte
      Participant

From a fan perspective it is good to see your team play and it is mostly just to satisfy a hunger. Reality is it is lost value in the money and time spent to watch a top 25 program beat up on a 200+ lower tier program.

Injuries they happen in an any game I never want to see them. It isn’t the fault of playing an FCS school. I could maybe see an argument for Utah plays soft and gets hurt more likely because they are treating it like scrimmage. Eh. Non factor really.

Evaluating a performance. Utah in all categories except turnovers performed really well. But it is SUU so it should be that. When you do poorly you want to say it is opening game jitters or something.

Looking at it from SUU other than the money bag I don’t see where you benefit. Across the board you are inferior to Utah.

I am a strong proponent of these universities being forced to play only FBS schools of a certain threshold. Expectations with the amount of money they are coming in with NIL means I expect a semi professional schedule. Those are just some of the reasons I feel it needs to be cancelled.

2 2
      Tyler Henry
      Participant

I do not like these “tune-up” games either. Utah supposedly has been practicing as a team collectively for several months before the game, they should be in good shape to play actual opponents. Opposition like Florida help determine how a team will actually be and gets them a in battles earlier on then later. With more experience in big games, Utah can be ready to perform!

GameForAnyFuss
      Participant

I see a little value. It helps you work out some of the kinks, substitution patterns, and other timing-related issues. It gives your new players a dry run at the game day schedule: Where to be at what time, what to eat and when, etc.

On a related note, I wonder if Colorado fans see any value in FCS games?

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

If you are throwing incomplete passes late in a game at home with slight lead you have more problems than who your opponent is.

Utah
      Participant

Is there value when you look at it logically?

Nope.

But when big time schools schedule games like this, you need to as well. Football is too hard. You can’t play 10+ P4 games a year, win 10+ games and win the playoffs.

Look, if Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Ohio State won’t play 10 P4 games a year, then you sure as hell shouldn’t. You aren’t as good as those teams.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

Well yeah that goes without saying. It is why in my last paragraph is said they should be forced to play a semi professional schedule.

ArcheryUte
      Participant

Agreed, but it makes me feel better that most teams have a similar week one opponent. Utah faired better than most. I was really impressed with UCF until I saw an 8.4 QBR next to Jefferson’s stat line. I think Utah was balanced for what the game was and hopefully provided some misdirection to what the offense is truly capable of.

Editing to add: an FCS team is an FCS team no matter how you spin it. However, I think over the years talent has improved on these lower level teams with the transfer portal.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

Responding to your edit do you believe SUU is one of those teams? I won’t assume that at all. Losing Stanley and Kuithe means I have zero respect for anything you have on defense.

Offensively I mean 0 points with a shanked FG.

The punting for SUU was so bad I felt bad for them and they should have just turned it over on downs are gone for it on fourth everytime.

SUU looked like a bottom feeder FCS team.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.