Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Jerome Myles moves up commit date

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jerome Myles moves up commit date

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      highlandute7
      Participant

JM moved his date up from Oct 30 to Sept 18. He named 3 finalists:

Texas AM
      U$C
      Utah

JM

As mentioned in other chats, seems like this would mean that U$C would be the favorite after visiting there last weekend.

6 1
      RedUte14
      Participant

i would definitely say he is 95% USC for sure.

Zigziggler
      Participant

ONLYU….ONLYU….Calling ONLYU….Any juicy tidbits on JM?

SteelUte
      Participant

U$C,
      Texas ATM
      Utah- Hopefully we can pull him in to play close to home, winning team amd family culture, maybe some high school teammates- Those other two have there financial advantages that we aren’t competing with right now.

AZUTE
      Participant

Just move along people.
      The NIL Gods have spoken

PhillyUte
      Participant

Well this recruiting class is going to be pretty mediocre.

3 3
        RedUte14
        Participant

I agree. Doesn’t seem like we will be recruiting too well being in the BIG12 now. w/e

PhillyUte
          Participant

The problem I feel a lot of Utah fans have is that they underestimate how important recruiting is. Our team can’t rely on finding diamonds in the rough to be competitive. We have been beaten multiple times in the past just based off of the other team having better raw talent. For example when we lost to a Texas team who was in shambles because they just got rid of their coach and they still destroyed us.

cj13
            Participant

Unless we get invited to the B1G, we won’t really ever surpass ‘21 and ‘22 and this year’s teams, especially with Whitt retiring soon. You can already see the damage of NIL and Pac 12 exit with our last years poor recruiting class. I really hope we can win 1 or 2 games in the playoff this year because it really feels like our last true shot of making noise

The Miami Ute
            Participant

That Texas loss was due to the psychological blow of losing the CCG to Oregon. If Utah had won the CCG, they would have been in the CFP. Instead, they ended up playing a highly motivated Texas team in the Alamo Bowl. It’s essentially the same reason Utah blew the doors off Alabama in the Jan 2009 Sugar Bowl. Bama had just lost the CCG to Florida and an opportunity to play for the national title. When that happens, it’s very hard to turn the ship around and get hyped for a meaningless bowl game.

Yergensen
              Participant

I agree this was a factor Miami.

However, on multiple occasions we have been beaten in the trenches by blue blood talent and 2019 Texas was one example of that.

2008 National Champ
                Participant

Sure, but Utah has also beaten that same talent level. You can’t say that Oregon, Stanford, Washington or Michigan – if you want to go back that far – don’t count even though they had lines full of blue-chips just because Utah beat them.

Charlie
              Participant

I agree. We have lost games we should have won but this was one I feel was clearly due to the previous loss.

GameForAnyFuss
            Participant

I’m one of them. Recruiting is no longer important. Sorry…it’s true. The portal is all that matters.

4 1
              Uteanooga
              Participant

-Said Deion Sanders

HeyyyUguyyys
              Participant

As long as there are nerds there will be studies and as long as there are studies there will be data and facts. You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts. Recruiting matters still, a lot.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4722358

GameForAnyFuss
                Participant

Interesting study, thanks for sharing.

So I will modify my opinion based on that study: Recruiting no longer matters on offense, but it does matter on defense. The study clearly shows that offensive players from the portal are better than recruits, but the opposite is true on defense.

22Ute22
        Participant

Yup, we needed a few more 4 stars or at least one 5 star to complete our recruiting class. Epenesa would have been a huge get.

Hopefully we get a few highly rated players from the portal.

Yergensen
      Participant

We may get a 2nd shot at JM thru the portal and being his hometown team could be advantageous.

Josh Pate was on ESPN 700 within the last month. He said UCF will be a recruiting force in the Big 12 given its location. They will miss out on Florida talent coming out of HS, but will bring them home when Florida talent hits the portal the first, second times.

We’re going to have to not only emphasize the portal, but win big on stage to be able to win talent in the portal.

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

In regards to recruiting, you can never go full Deion, but you also have to use the portal to fill obvious holes. A good mix is really what you need.

Sucks to see that Myles might end up at USC. Reminds me of Lyons after he de-committed from Stanford. This is why I just can’t really follow or care too much about recruiting though. Until that kid signs and sends in his LOI, I just can’t get too invested.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.