Participant

I counted 5 holy ghosts helping on that punt return

Thanks god

10 2
        ALUF
        Participant

RoboUte
          Participant

Religion talk should be kept to a minimum, surely. But due to the nature of our rivalry and really the makeup of Utah as a state (not even to mention BYU being a religious institution). It’s going to come up, that’s ok too, as much as people are loathe to discuss it, it’s a profound contributor to the fact that this might be the best rivalry in college sports.

Even though this just isn’t funny. I think it’s pretty far from bigotry. We can’t have absolutely no willingness to joke about ourselves.

16 2
      Ted Lasso
      Participant

Hey man, I know you were trying to be funny, but let’s keep the rivalry focused on sports and avoid bringing in religion or politics. We all cross that line sometimes, but it’s something we can work on. Let’s keep things respectful and not make it personal, so we can enjoy the rivalry and keep it decent.

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

Generally, I agree with you on this point. Mean-spirited religion jabs are not okay. I do have a few comments though:

1. If TSPP fans want religion talk (jokey or not) kept out of football, they should keep it out of football themselves, and they often don’t. Just a simple search on CB for the word “God” yields these recent results among many others:

Anyone else feel like about 6 mos ago we got derailed into an alternate timeline where God loves BYU sports? – jaromp
        Date: Sep 22, 2024 – 2:43am
        God bless Jay Hill and God bless BYU! – shimmy
        Date: Sep 22, 2024 – 1:44am
        God must be blessing me for my righteousness lately – CougfromtheSouth
        Date: Sep 22, 2024 – 12:35am
        God is good!! – fldnstrm
        Date: Sep 22, 2024 – 12:34am

(these are not cherry picked comments, btw, I just copied 4 comments in a row after searching for “God”).

These fans either believe God is helping their team or they are perfectly fine joking about it.

2. TSPP fans justify their QBs nickname by saying that he’s the one that started it in the first place. While I don’t disagree with that logic. How is this situation different? TSPP fans joke about God being on their side, Ute fan makes a joke about the holy ghost actually helping TSPP on the field.

TSPP fans often get mad at ALUFs for not speaking up when Ute fans bring religion into football. Do you tell your own fans to knock it off when they bring religion into football?

Again, I agree, I think religious jokes are uncalled-for and lazy, low-hanging fruit. I just think its a little disingenuous of TSPP fans to joke about God being the reason they won on Saturday, then act offended when a Ute fan makes a joke about God helping BYU win on Saturday.

Ted Lasso
          Participant

I totally agree with you. BYU fans can sometimes be the worst about bringing religion into the rivalry, and I know I’ve made that mistake before too. Honestly, I’m just tired of the religious jokes from both sides. It’s something we all need to stop doing so we can keep things focused on the game and show respect to each other.

9 2
          MFury
          Participant

I thought it was kinda funny. But don’t quit your day job kolya

Saying “God bless” on a forum is a euphemism, not bringing God into it. But saying in a post game interview that God helps the team when they are “living right off the field” is pretentious garbage.

If anything, TSPP players are way more offensive to non-Mormons than Kolya by asseting moral
          supremacy in their own comments, let alone the crap the fans say.

But what do I know, I’ll just go back to pumping gas…

Also there were way more than 5. Kolya just not yet familiar enough with seeing the influence of the HG. He’ll get there.

Smash that downvote!

5 22
            Kek U
            Participant

I wasn’t sure if they wear the magic underwear in the game

I’m sure I have a lot more to learn)

3 1
              Ted Lasso
              Participant

I can’t control what you say on a message board, but in order to keep the rivalry about the game, let’s make a bet. If Utah beats BYU on Nov 9, I’ll delete my account. It BYU beats Utah, you delete your account. I feel like that’s more than fair considering Utah has the better team and they have home field advantage.

7 6
                Kek U
                Participant

Chill bro, it’s called the holy war. I like it and want to enjoy it the way I want too

There is no need to be offended

Jim Vanderhoof
                Participant

Chill Lasso. We enjoy your insights and respect. Don’t let one poster get to you. You always make thoughtful posts that most of us enjoy. Every fan base has a few that try to stir the pot to get a reaction. Don’t fall for it.

RoboUte
                Participant

Lasso, don’t go anywhere. I get it. But you’ve got to be able to laugh at yourself, too.

EDIT: on an unrelated note can yall pick profile pictures it’s hard to tell who everyone is in these long threads.

chinngiskhaan
              Participant

Just stop. It isn’t funny, and it isn’t clever.

2 7
                Kek U
                Participant

I have a lot of respect for the Mormon culture and faith. Very industrious people who are giving and kind and build strong families and communities.

And I agree I’m not clever. It’s too easy)

But I’m shocked at the sensitivities here. There was no bad intent in anything i posted.

ALUF
                  Participant

You know, reading some of these posts I have to say I apologize for calling your comments bigotry. Even though I didn’t like it, it’s a rivalry and it’s all in good fun. And the more I think about it, I doubt you did it out of pure hate you know. If you did, get a life. But I do apologize for my accusation and I will delete the comment if I can!

Go Utes

fosternano
              Participant

Don’t worry, as a very happy exmo I found your comments funny.

TSPP always brings up the lords university crap, I have no problem jabbing back a little at them. Granted I mainly focus on Utah winning and for a while there TSPP’s losing streak was old enough to be baptized.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

I get your point, but this isn’t a Ute fan. He’s a Nebraska fan.

RoboUte
          Participant

What’s great about your response chin is that it’s a totally valid takedown of something that’s also totally valid. Things are rarely as simple as they seem in real life.

I’ve had a fun ten+ years of telling BYU fans that Utah must be doing it right off the field.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Common man. Cougarboard constantly throws their own LDS brothers under the bus that go to U of U. Threads talking about LDS students that go to the U end up dropping out of the church and drinking and partying.

They can dish it out but they can’t take it. I agree religion should play no part in sports. We have great LDS Ute fans that love and support our team like everyone else. Let’s respect our own fans.

BYU is an easy target for anyone that sees the self righteous attitude they bring to others that have different beliefs. I have many LDS friends that just shake their heads at that behavior. If nothing else let’s respect our own diverse fan base.

RoboUte
        Participant

Funny, this was a controversial take when someone else said it.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

🤣🤣🤣 that was funny. KSU really needs to work on their coverage. That was bad.

Utes 69
      Participant

Please, the pukes down south bring their Mormon religion in on football every chance they get. give me a break! and also chill out.

6 1
        ProudUte
        Participant

Yes, the CB brings religion into everything, and it is just wrong IMO. But, just because they are wrong, we shouldn’t get into religion on the board. Religion can be a very sacred thing to people. Please don’t disrespect others’ beliefs.

I hate this topic and would prefer to see it removed. I hate it when I see this board get off into an area that is disrespectful to others, rather it is religion or politics.

RoboUte
          Participant

I was told by Lasso, who I think is great, that he doesn’t know anyone who is self righteous about attending/supporting BYU. Another poster said that anyone at BYU being self righteous would a “one in a million” thing.

Give me the other perspective, disagree with me. That’s great. But I don’t think anyone being honest with themselves could believe that. For all of BYU’s great qualities, of which there are many, it isn’t without bad ones. I’m of the firm belief that it’s not and never will be offensive to point that out.

//r00t4Utes
      Participant

I will say it looked like #12 spawned from Kingston’s puke pile.

Heike
      Participant

The problem here is that posters are allowing a known troll to get some attention.

Dallas
      Participant

Can we all just comment on the funny video?

Ted Lasso
        Participant

My bad, man. I thought the video was funny and didn’t mean to take over your post. I also want to apologize to everyone for making it a bigger deal than it should’ve been. For some reason, KK U’s post hit a nerve this morning. I’m not usually that uptight, but constantly being told to laugh at myself for my religion gets old, especially since I hear these jokes a lot living on the east coast. After a while, it just gets old. But I should’ve handled it better and remembered it’s just an anonymous message board, so that’s on me.

Kek U
          Participant

Bro I’m living in the Ukraine now and I miss everything about Utah. There is nothing like it in all the world. And there is no one here to joke with about byu) so you are stuck with my jokes)

And you should know about the religious problems here. The Russian Orthodox faith was made illegal to practice during the war

Ted Lasso
            Participant

What the hell are you doing living in Ukraine for? haha that’s awesome man. I’ve always wanted to live in Europe since it’s so cheap to fly around there. Well if you decide to joke about byu again i won’t give you a hard time no more

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.