Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Just For Funsies… Cam for Heisman?

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Just For Funsies… Cam for Heisman?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ArcheryUte
      Participant

I need to distract myself from work and focus on the important things in life. Utah Football.

Just playing a hypothetical game and want some opinions as we begin the season.
      IF Cam stays healthy and IF the team has the success we think they will have, could Cam be a serious
      Heisman candidate?

I think so. Cam has consistency and is a play maker through and through. He has had moments throughout the years that are highlight reel worthy. I’m thinking the SC touch down and the go ahead 2 point conversion and that touch down run in the rose bowl. He is a fun a player to watch.

What are your thoughts about this as we start fall camp?

MDUte
      Participant

Love the idea @ArcheryUte! I too am having a hard time focusing on work knowing Fall Camp is here and therefore the start of the season!

Every QB needs to have his “Heisman moment” game. For Cam, I think his opportunity to put himself squarely in the Heisman race comes on Sept 21st. If Utah rolls into Stillwater and Whitt/Lud unleash Cam and our WR/TEs to secure a statement victory over OSU, that would be the tail wind Cam needs to ride the rest of the year to be in the Heisman race IMO.

Utah
      Participant

Jayden Daniels last year:

3800 yards, 50 total TD’s, 4 INT’s.

Rising’s best year:

3000 yards, 32 Td’s, 8 INT’s.

Whitt just doesn’t rely on QB’s the way other schools do. Rising would have to really, really, really explode to do so.

Daniels threw for over 300 yards a game. He threw for over 400 yards and 6 TD’s vs a FCS team. Whitt would never allow that (which I think is dumb). Our QB’s will never put up the stats they need to compete for these awards because vs bad teams, Whitt shuts down the offense and tries to win 20-0 with 200 yards total offense.

We play SUU game 1. If Cam doesn’t put up 400+ yards passing and score 5+ TD’s, his heisman campaign is effectively over. You have to put up big numbers and if you will only pass for 200 yards vs high level teams, then you need to pass for over 400 vs bad teams to even the numbers out.

I don’t think Whitt would ever do that.

J Rocksville
        Participant

If we pass 10% more and have more yards after catch from receivers, you could see how Cam could get to 3500+ yards and 40 TD’s, but your point is valid. I think Cam has about the same odds of a serious Heisman run as we have at a serious championship run, and each one drastically increases the odds of the other.

As far as SUU goes, I think what’s more important than Cam padding some stats for a Heisman run would be letting him play the first half, then let Huard/Wilson/Rose get snaps in the second half. We have to get our backups game reps before they are forced onto the field. I suspect it’s going to be Huard/Wilson/Rose and Rose may transfer out.

AlohaUte
      Participant

He should definitely be in the conversation! He’s arguably the most experienced QB in the nation and a proven winner. I won’t be shocked if he ends up being invited to New York.

Dallas
        Participant

Does he get extra credit for being the oldest?

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Unless there are major changes schematically there is virtually zero chance of this happening.

MDUte
        Participant

Btw, it seems like most of the comments are focused on whether Cam could actually win the Heisman or not if his passing numbers dramatically increased. I would just point out that if Utah does end up throwing the ball a lot more this year than ever before (as has already been predicted by OnlyU) it would still be HUGE for Cam and the program if he were to make it to NY as a finalist. The last time and I believe the only time Utah has had a Heisman finalist was Alex Smith.

dwainegf
      Participant

I’m not sure I want to change the way Coach Whitt approaches blow out games. Without doing so, I don’t believe we will have a Heisman winner from our offense. Maybe Cam can win the Davey O’Brien Award as the best QB. I am really excited to see what we can do this year. Our team is set up for a potentially epic season. We will see how it plays out, and I believe we will contend for a conference championship and beyond. Go Utes!!!

ProudUte
      Participant

I highly doubt that Cam will be in the Heisman race. However, I would have said the same about Smith in 2004.

The only way Cam is in the race is if we pass at least 55% of the time. He would need a 70% + completion rate and at least 3500 yards. Also, the team would need to be in the top ten and probably win the conference championship.

Is all of that possible? Maybe, but our offense will have to be much different than anything else we have seen from Whit.

Let’s not be like some BYU fans and start something like Cam for Heisman before he proves he deserves to be there.

AlohaUte
        Participant

The last two are not only possible, but likely.

ProudUte
          Participant

I do not totally disagree. But, we have yet to see this team play yet, so …

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I’ll take wins, playoff birth and a healthy Cam over a heisman. Heisman would be icing on the cake. Play to win and let the chips fall. Nice thought Archeryute.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.