Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Just win baby!

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Just win baby!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

That has to be theme going forward. Cam could miss another game and we still need to win this one. Could be a blessing in disguise if Cam returns after the bye healthy and with rested legs and arm. It’s a long season and we have proven this year that Wilson can get some wins. With a much weaker schedule this year and Cams return coming soon there is much more hope than last year.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I’m thinking that whenever he plays (I think after the bye), Cam will be fresh and rested. Not beat up. Could be a big help in the long run.

Luke R
      Participant

I think the biggest difference is that the Utes feel comfortable letting Wilson do more than they ever did Barnes. Last year felt miserable because you knew there were some games we just couldn’t win without a qb who could make “some” plays/throws.

EmersonUte
        Participant

I agree. Pretty amazing as a freshman to see them loosening the reins on Isaac with each coming game. In fact, I’m liking Wilson so much maybe I’d be willing to donate my kneecap to him since I hear he’s still looking for one…

Tony, maybe we should start a UteHub registry of people willing to see if they’re a kneecap match? I really don’t need mine that much.

Ute in Chatt
          Participant

Do you think Barnes just couldn’t get the offense last year, or did the offense scheme didn’t work with the type of quarterback he is?

Ute in Chatt
            Participant

Because after the first quarter of the USU game, I was like, we squandered him. Then my heart settled down, and I realized Wilson is way better.

UteThunder
            Participant

Consistency. Barnes lacks it. He made some great plays for us and played his heart out but he just couldn’t make plays consistently.

Yergensen
            Participant

Barnes is a one read QB. He also couldn’t manipulate defenders, quite the opposite he locked in on his primary targets only.

Wilson already goes thru his progressions and makes the right read most of the time. Wilson also manipulates defenses. Watch the downfield throw along the sideline to Money in the Utah State game. Isaac first looks at Kuithe in the flat bringing defenders forward creating a bigger throw and catch window for Money.

Wilson is light years ahead of Barnes and quite honestly Barnes will never learn these things.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I think last year we didn’t have receivers who could separate from the defense and a bad running game. JJ was always hurt and Bernard was out leaving Glover as the main back. Also new tight ends and an offensive line that couldn’t handle the stacked box on defense

Singer and Parks can get separation and we have 3 or 4 TEs. Bernard is back with Mitchell and Stanley. Offensive line is improved. Much better offense than last year. Wilson has a strong arm and can hit the open receivers plus defenses can’t stack the box with Wilson. Expect a ton of blitzes by Arizona if Wilson starts.

stbone
        Participant

Receivers were separating, Barnes just couldn’t process fast enough. (Vele is creating separation in the NFL, he was doing it here as well).

Jim Vanderhoof
          Participant

I didn’t watch game film but being at the games I didn’t see a lot of separation. Some yes but Barnes held the ball because nobody was open. He was definitely slow processing. As a WR if the quarterback can’t get you the ball you probably tend to not run the route full speed.

Anyway you look at it the passing game was not a big threat. Singer is really good and is developing a connection with Wilson. So much more fun to watch this team over last year.

stbone
            Participant

We are probably both right – different quarterbacks have different windows for what “open” means and which throws they can complete.

Barnes, to me, is an example of a player who regressed as the season progressed. The game seemed to speed up, and he seemed to get worse at processing.

I agree that our receivers are better this year, but I don’t think they were solely responsible for the debacle last year. (e.g., Vele being a solid contributing factor on an NFL team seems to indicate that he was a solid nr. 1 receiver for the team).

Jim Vanderhoof
              Participant

I agree with Barnes regression and the receivers being responsible.I think teams were stacking the box and bringing 6 guys almost every play and Barnes was slow with reads and delivery. Singer and Parks are extremely quick and get open sooner.

Rick
                Participant

Jim and STbone,
                Don’t you think that Barnes just held the ball too long at times? That’s an improvement I think he’s made this year – right or wrong because I do think he’s a one-read QB. There were a number of plays I remember where a receiver came open and he held the ball too long. In fact, our last offensive play of the bowl game was an example. A tightend was wide open a yard beyond the first down for a second or more before Bryson threw the ball. By then, a defender had reacted and broke up the late pass. I think that was my biggest complaint with Bryson.

We’re fortunate to have a young quarterback in Wilson whose skill at seeing the field is so advanced – especially for an 18-year-old.

Jim Vanderhoof
                  Participant

Great points Rick. I think as stbone pointed out he seemed to regress. He has a slow delivery and teams started sending 6 that could still stop the run but forced him to hurry and he didn’t have time pick up a second receiver.

Arizona will do the same with Wilson. Hopefully Ludwig has some quick throws to beat the one on one coverage that Barnes struggled with. Wilson has a quick release and with Singer and Parks catching a quick slant can result in a touchdown with a stacked box. My opinion that’s the difference. Curious what your take is.

stbone
                  Participant

I agree he held the ball too long.

To me, BB at the Rose Bowl was a different QB than what we saw last year. I think as the hits and the INTs added up, he started second guessing himself and was probably trying too hard to do the right thing. Since you can’t “think” fast enough to throw on time, once he got trapped in his head, his game just spiraled out of control. I suspect that the off season, OTAs, and a lower level of competition have given him time to rebuild his confidence so that he is playing at a higher level now than he was for us.

Utes 69
      Participant

last year sucked, Ludwig failed, Nate Johnson should have got the green flag from day one and move forward.

Yergensen
        Participant

And the scheme should have been fit to NJ strengths. Instead Ludwig forced him to stay in and play from the pocket.

It probably had something to do with NJ fumbles/ball security and our coaches’ risk aversion, but they never let that peac**k fly (translation RPO with NJ given the green light to keep and run or keep and throw).

Ute in Chatt
          Participant

I appreciate the varying opinions to my question. I do agree that he is a one-dimensional qb. He was hardly able to make something out of nothing, in my opinion. He did shine in the USC game, but again, one game doesn’t make a season. It was good to kick thier ass though again.

stbone
          Participant

NJ had some of the worst accuracy I have ever seen from a QB, combined with incredible athleticism. But, his accuracy was so bad, I don’t believe he could have been a starting QB for an AFA team in the 90’s (because occasionally they needed the QB to hit a throw). I don’t think there is a system that would fit him and work in the college game. (I mean, he got beaten out at Vandy and is being moved to WR).

I wish NJ had had any consistency or accuracy because that would have made last year an unbelievable roller-coaster. But with him as he is, I don’t believe he was any kind of option.

Jim Vanderhoof
            Participant

Well said stbone. You have great takes and should post more. I enjoy your perspective. Rick also has great takes he should post more often.

Utah
      Participant

I haven’t been on the board much this week…are people not happy with the game on Saturday?

We f**ked up OKSU. Honestly, after watching that game and then watching KSU play…there isn’t a single team that can hang with us. We should roll through the rest of the year.

We are just heads and shoulders better than everyone else.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.