Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Let’s give Wilson a chance

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Let’s give Wilson a chance

• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by pedro.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      6 1
      ProudUte
      Participant

There has been a lot of talk about how bad Wilson looked on Saturday. I cannot argue with much of this. However, there are three things to consider:

1. Whitt admitted that they did not want to risk anything with a 23-point lead. Its tough to judge much when the playbook was basically closed.

2. Look at “once in a generation QB”, Caleb Willims as he transitioned to the pro game. He threw for less than 100 yards. Look at Alex Smith’s first game as a Ute and look at Cam Rising’s first outing in 2020. Making the transition to major college football is not easy.

3. He did not have the first team reps that he needs to be prepared.

I am not close to ready to give up on Isaac. I hope if he plays this Saturday, that Whiit is true to his word and will keep the same game plan He nees the opportunity to show what he has and to gain confidence.

Dallas
      Participant

Looking forward to a game plan designed toward Wilson’s skills at QB.

But I’m even more excited for Cam to start.

Utah
      Participant

Wilson will be just fine. He has looked good out there. He went 7/11 vs SUU. That is about all you can ask for. He did make two bad throws, but young players with big arms do that. I’m ok with it.

As for the Baylor game…we shut it down, Baylor knew we shut it down, and Baylor sent the house every play and we did nothing to combat that. That’s not on Wilson. There is a reason why Whitt said Wilson played better vs Baylor.

Wilson is a good QB, he is a freshman, and if he starts vs USU, you will see a very good freshman QB.

HATUman
      Participant

I don’t think anyone has really suggested giving up on him, just having the coaching staff realize that he may not be quite ready. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact, throwing him out there too soon may end up doing more harm than good. I honestly think we’ll be seeing Cam for the game in Logan anyway.

4 1
        2008 National Champ
        Participant

why wait for someone to actually suggest such a thing when there are strawmen just begging to be taken down?

1 1
      AlohaUte
      Participant

My only long term concern about Isaac is his height.

I’m not going to make judgements kn his future based on these last two games. But I worry he isn’t tall enough to be effective enough of a thrower.

Dallas
        Participant

Baylor had that active lean 6’7” lineman that tipped a few of Wilson’s throws. Idk if he was better than the average D lineman, but he and the nose tackle were making life difficult.

1 1
      Utah#1
      Participant

Usually when Whitt has kept the status of the team and players close to his chest, that doesn’t usually mean a good thing at all! It would be one thing if keeping secrets means fans are in for a big surprise when the team plays lights out football, but is the exact opposite and in Utah’s case knowing Whitt’s history with keeping player or team secrets private, it is very bad news! We won’t know until bad things happen Whitt’s secrets are exposed. I believe he does that to prevent the opponents from knowing who or what to prepare for.

RoboUte
        Participant

This doesn’t really make sense. Whitt is evasive on all topics and is only transparent with the worst news, season ending injuries or situations. Unless it’s 2023, where it kept it secret from seemingly everyone that Cam wouldn’t be returning.

Kolya
      Participant

Did you text the coach to tell him your amazing idea?

1 1
      EagleMountainUte
      Participant

I know you are an optimist but you have some unreal comparisons.

The playbook did not close after Rising went out. Stop saying that. Wilson was given the reins and didn’t turn over the ball. So it is an improvement from that first series and second series against SUU.

The playbook didn’t shut down until the final two Utah possessions.

Sanders
        Participant

I hope Wilson starts the game and if we’re doing fine at half let him finish it. It’s our last warm up game and he needs the reps with the ones so bad. I’d rather see Rising rest his hand wound and have him play backup instead. It would also give OK State something else to chew on.

ProudUte
        Participant

I am not often called an optimist. 🙂

Whitt said in his presser they were not going to let Wilson take any risks and they closed the playbook.

Is Wilson going to be our future QB? I really don’t know. I admit that he has not looked great. I hope we see a much better Isaac Wilson in the future.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Participant

I heard Whitt say the same thing proud Ute. He also said the team needs to step up when Rising is out. They looked sluggish the second half. Part of the Rising mystic is his ability to get the team energized. Wilson is a true freshman and he needs to have a good game to get his confidence and the team to play hard when he is in the game.

1 1
            EagleMountainUte
            Participant

Did we watch different games? I clearly saw Rising go down. Wilson made several difficult pass throws. I almost feel like breaking it down at this point to show Whitt is just lying.

Charlie
              Participant

I think I do understand what Whitt is saying and it makes sense. Football teams do go up and down and coaches that see every practice have a sense for it in a much more profound way than fans watching games with popcorn. It would be rare indeed for a team to respond the same to a greenhorn as they do to a multi year captain. I expect Whitt recognized the offense let wind spill from the sails and grabbed a teaching moment to let the team know what he wants to see on this type of personnel change. Veterans helping first year guys is a key principal of Whitt football.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

It’s odd. We have all acknowledged that Whitt reverts to coachspeak whenever possible and doesn’t give out any information that he doesn’t have to. And yet, some will absolutely go to the mats on anything that he says at a presser.

Wilson throwing 40 yards downfield to a double covered Parks tells me that the playbook wasn’t contracted.

Rick
      Participant

Wilson’s play on Saturday has way more to do with the coaching strategy than his skills as a QB. We basically ran about 5-6 different plays once Cam left the game. Wilson made some very good throws and some very good decisions. One thing I would like to see more of Isaac is him running the football. He was very successful in high school because he had the added threat of running the ball. I thought there were several plays on Saturday where Baylor sent the house and he should have tucked it and ran but he instead tried to stay in the pocket. Isaac can run the ball. If he starts on Saturday, I hope they add that to the game plan and I think you will see a totally different Isaac Wilson on the field with much better results.

NarfUte
        Participant

Our last real drive was 11 plays, 11 runs, and 7:23 clock time – That’s essentially 1/2 of the total offense time Wilson had in the game anyway. He didn’t need to throw (But Cole is going to need to start hitting these FG’s)

Utesbyfive
      Participant

Who do you think isn’t giving him a chance? I realize that everyone gets pretty salty after a win that they thought should be a bigger win but…

pedro
      Participant

I was out of the country Saturday, but I heard from a lot of Utah fans and a few BYU fans on how bad Wilson looked. When I got home yesterday I watched the game. I was surprised to be frank. Yea, he’s no Cam, yet. But he didn’t look that bad. Definitely looked nervous and made a few interesting throws, but his reads were there (as far and you can tell from the TV). Not nearly as bad as my contacts made it sound.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.