Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

Let’s talk football

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Let’s talk football

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

In just over three weeks – summer football camp starts. Yet, this board has been a bit quiet the last few weeks. I am excited to see this team play on August 29th.

This could be a pivotal season for the Utes. Many are predicting that we will be the Big 12 champions. However, it seems that most of our new conference mates have placed a target on our backs. No one wants the new guy to win it all.

I hope we can play in the conference championship game. In a perfect world – KState and Utah will be undefeated and play for the Big 12 championship. In that case both teams would be in the CFP.

Getting to a conference championship game will not be easy IMO. We will need to stay relatively healthy and deliver in the big games. I think there are a number of good teams that will be competing for the right to play in the championship game; i.e., Utah, Kstate. Kansas, Ok State, Arizona and maybe UCF. There could also be some surprises like TCU or Iowa State.

UteBacker

I’m thinking a 5-way tie for first at 7-2 (Utes, Kansas St, Ok St, Iowa St & TCU). Parity will rule this conference…buckle up!

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I agree with Utebacker. This will be another parity conference like the P12 was under Larry Scott. However, Yormark seems to at least not be trying to make it that way. I have to admit the Utes schedule is favorable. It’s smart to give your legitimate contenders a more favorable schedule.

3 1
        D T
        Participant

I’d place U of A ahead of ISU/TCU.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Jed Fisch was the reason that team was good. They’re going to take a big step back this year. Mark it down.

D T
            Participant

Brennan’s an above avg coach….U of A’s a dangerous opponent for most teams this year [excepting U/KSU, IMO].

MDUte
          Participant

I agree with everyone’s comments about parity towards the middle and top of the conference. However, fair or not, my expectation for this year’s Utah team is 12-1. The most likely loss is in Stillwater, but even if we come away with a win over Okie St I still see one slip-up given how hard it is to go undefeated no matter who you are. Golden opportunity this year and its CFP or bust…Go Utes!!

UteBacker

Arizona and Colorado are hard for me to predict. They could go either way this year.

MDUte
            Participant

What are everyone’s production predictions?
            Here’s mine: Offense avgs 40 pts/game, 275 passing, 210 rushing, total O = 485 yards/game
            Defense allows an avg 23 pts/game, 125 rushing, 225 passing, total yards allowed by D = 350 yards/game

D T
              Participant

D allows 27 pts/game?? What??

MDUte
                Participant

Haha, I know I know…great callout DT! I just see this year’s team being more offensively dominant than defensively. And if that happens, I could see the defense giving up a few more points since teams will likely be playing catchup against us.

Central Coast Ute
                  Participant

A lot of people are worried about the defensive backfield, but I think they’ll be ok. With Fano, O’Toole, and Filinger coming back, the DE’s will be stellar. We already lost Damuni, but Barton and Reid are going to excel. Can’t afford the injury bug like last year, but honestly, when has that ever happened before? Of course, we’ll see some, but it won’t be that bad. In my opinion, the D will dominate, and the O will be top notch. I don’t think they go undefeated, but this should be a CFP or bust year.

ukiyoronin
                    Participant

Best way to take pressure off the DBs? Have a great DL. Really hard to make big plays in the air if you’re constantly worried about Tafuna in your face. According to some, this DL unit is top 3 in the country.

Central Coast Ute
                      Participant

Good call. I should have added the DL into my response. DL is never a question at Utah.

Yergensen
                        Participant

DL is a question mark occasionally and is again this year.

In 2022 the front 4 got little pressure and Scalley had to blitz, a lot.

Who is going to get pressure off the edge this year? Fillinger hasn’t proven to be an alpha in 3 yrs, O’Toole has very little game experience/production and Fano is coming off his 2nd ACL.

We could well have someone step up like Elliss did last year, but that’s unknown at the present time.

Rick Walker
                        Participant

I think the EDGE is pretty uncertain. There’s definitely potential but no proven stars. I think our tackles will be fine with Tafuna, Pepa, Vimahi, Tanuvasa, and fotu.

D T
                  Participant

You’re probably accurate on the O, but I can’t remember the last time our D surrendered 27/game.

MDUte
                    Participant

You’re right, we haven’t ever allowed more than 23.9 pts/game in the past 10 years. I updated my initial projection to 23 pts/game.

It still seems to me that this will be a year where Whitt elects to give the ball to our offense first. And that our offense is going to march the ball down the field on teams, at will, leading to easy scores, quicker scoring drives, and will put teams back on their heels. I’m not concerned about getting into shootouts or anything, just that teams are going to be under pressure playing from behind against Utah and needing to take more chances. I could see this leading to some “garbage time” scoring etc. that skews the numbers a little.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Actually considering that we’re in the offseason for all major Ute sports, I think the activity level has been decent. I encourage members to CREATE NEW TOPICS just like you did! That’s how the conversations start!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.