Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Look, I know it’s not Utah Football, but boy is Padres baseball fun to watch.

Welcome Forums Professional Sports MLB Look, I know it’s not Utah Football, but boy is Padres baseball fun to watch.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      AlohaUte
      Participant

To those of you who abandoned baseball years ago or to those who are open to embracing it, I highly recommend tuning into the playoff races this year. There are some really, really fun teams. I find the Padres to be so fun to watch, but the Dodgers (FTD), Yankees, O’s, D-Backs, and Guardians are all playing super entertaining baseball (whereas my beloved Giants are just not interesting at all – and not only because they aren’t in the race, they just don’t have a personality).

I’ve watched baseball for a long time and aside from the 3 Giants World Series, I haven’t enjoyed the game as much as I am right now. I really think we are in a new golden era for the sport. 10/10 highly recommend.

(I’ll add, you have to watch this Jackson Merrill kid for the Padres. A rookie being clutch every night, it’s amazing).

CoyoteUte
      Participant

I used to dislike baseball until October… but sports modeling & gambling changed all of that. Go Tribe! See y’all in the world series 🤞

AlohaUte
        Participant

The Tribe (or the Guards now??) are having a great season. That AL Central race has been super fun.

CoyoteUte
          Participant

Yeah I still slip and call them the Indians from time to time. Been a fun season! Totally expecting some sort of Cleveland let down at some point though 😅

D T
      Participant

Native to Phoenix & a die-hard D’Backs fan!!

AlohaUte
        Participant

Man, D-Backs just won’t lose it seems. Padres and DBacks both went on historic runs at the same time. It’s been a wild ride. One thing I think we can all agree with is FTD.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Nice post aloha. Nice to hear some baseball talk. I was a huge baseball fan until the strike . Haven’t watched much since.i started coaching my grandsons babe ruth team a couple years ago and it put the spark back in me. I will check out the padres. Haven’t seen any padres games. Thanks

AlohaUte
        Participant

There are a lot of people in this same boat regarding the strike. I’m hoping people start embracing baseball more, it’s a great game and there are a lot of teams and great stars in the game. I’m really enjoying it.

UteBacker

Excuse me while I mourn my Red Sox and their 37 game losing streak (or so it seems).

Padres are my #2 team, so there’s that I guess.

Utah
      Participant

Man, that you left off the best team in baseball…

The Phillies are a real treat. Bryce Harper is just special. Best defensive first baseman in baseball and he’s only been playing it about a year. Best pitcher in baseball in Zack Wheeler. Young players that are a blast watch, the coolest looking player in baseball in Castellanos (or Uncle Nicky as we call him), and the most unconventional leadoff hitter…a guy who can’t run, but steals bases, who walks more than anyone…and oh, might retire with the most leadoff homeruns in baseball history.

The starting pitching is old school. The Dodgers have the second most starters that have pitched into the seventh inning and they are 16-2 in those games. The Phillies are #1 and 32-1. Their starters have pitched into the seventh almost twice as many times as anyone else.

And I didn’t even mention Estevez…

Just a great team. Those guys love each other and it shows.

The Phillies were down 6-1 in the first inning two nights ago and came back to win 10-9. Just a scrappy team.

Utah
        Participant

Slight edit: The Phillies and Dodgers have the same number of losses but the Dodgers have one more win…

So the Dodgers are the best team with a win % of .600 while the Phillies are #2 at .597.

AlohaUte
        Participant

I did forget the Phils and they are super fun to watch. Man, Harper is great to watch!

If the Padres don’t win it this year, I want the Phils.

Utah
          Participant

Well then, I like you. lol.

I will admit this: The Padres have the best uniforms in baseball. They just look so damn cool.

DataUte
      Participant

I definitely have watched less and less baseball. I can probably only name <10 stars still around: Aaron Judge, Jose Altuve, Gerrit Cole, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Ohtani, …? I guess that’s what happens when the hometown team is the Rockies in the 9/10 years they don’t make the playoffs. Going to a game is more about the experience than how the baseball actually played (or if the other team is so much better). Playoff baseball is a lot more fun though and meaningful, so I’ll take a look. Thanks for the reminder.

Baseball – I’ll watch some playoffs since it might be all that’s on
      NBA – I’ll watch some playoff series and a few in-season games if 1) Nuggets are playing, 2) they are interesting matchups
      NFL – I’ll watch most of the playoffs and some regular season games if 1) Broncos don’t suck, 2) good matchups
      NHL – Maybe playoffs (mostly if Avs are in it)
      Utah – I try not to miss a game and get to one or two live each season

AlohaUte
        Participant

I watch a lot of Giants and Padres baseball

All Utah football. Some other CFB.

I’ll watch a bunch of Utah HC

I watch very little NFL.

No NBA.

UTEopia
      Participant

I attended law school in San Diego in the early 80’s and became a Pads fan. There have been a few bright years since then but it has mostly been year after year of beatings by the Dodgers and uninspiring play.

This team is fun. They seem to have fun. The stadium is first rate and a great place to watch a game.

DataUte
      Participant

I do have to say, the Padre’s new ballpark is beautiful. I haven’t been, but my sister lives in the area and has shared pictures and my wife went with her siblings on a trip.

UTEopia
      Participant

Last night wasn’t much fun for Padres fan. Ahead 3-0 headed into the 9th. The closer, who has been excellent all year gives up a single and a walk, gets two outs and then walks the bases loaded. Number 9 hitter is 3-2 and hits a grand slam. The ball left the field traveling 2 mph less then the velocity of the pitch. Pads lose 4-3.

D T
        Participant

I was absolutely pleased the Padres lost!!

Go Giants!!

AlohaUte
        Participant

Rough way to lose

D T
          Participant

Neither team will catch the Dodgers…..We’re chasing the top Wildcard spot….Might come down to the final regular season series.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.