ESPN

Love the Big 12

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Love the Big 12

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      15 16
      Tyler Henry
      Participant

I love Utah being in the Big 12. The atmospheres have been amazing, and every team is competitive. I grew up in Kansas, I dreamed Utah would one day make the transition! I am loving the experience right now!

18 6
      Tednab
      Participant

Really , feels like the mountain west 2.0

Ute Dub
        Participant

Some of us still think it’s Christmas that Utah ever made it into the PAC 12 and would have equally been thrilled to leave the MW for BIG 12. I don’t remember playing at Laramie or Albuquerque this year. More change is yet to come. Stay grateful and those good vibes will pay dividends down the road.

4 3
        Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

Why down vote someone who likes being in the Big 12? Tyler nothing wrong with liking the conference you grew up watching. Nothing wrong with others missing the Pac 12. Me personally I like playing some new teams and also miss the marquee matchups in Pac 12. We can’t change anything so let’s make the best of the situation and be happy we can have a legitimate shot at the playoffs every year.

16 3
      Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I’m not having that experience. This is a step down in competition. I guarantee had Utah gone into Autzen with Wilson as the QB not only would Utah have lost, the crowd would have been way louder. I don’t know what kind of Crack B12 fans have been smoking but everything they have claimed about this conference has been false so far.

Roy Rangum
        Participant

I’ve believed for a long time, that at least in the short term, you are better off as a big fish in a small pond rather than a little fish in a big pond. Hopefully we can make the most of this opportunity to dominate in the Big12 and make some waves. However, the long term goal is and has to be to make it into either the B10 or SEC. But as we’re not there yet, I think the B12 is the next best spot.

6 6
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

Did you use AI to create this comment? Sounds like something straight out of the “How Can I P**s Off Utah Fans?” book.

UteBacker

I don’t tell people how to fan. Good on ya, Tyler, if you’re enjoying this conference. Personally, I think we’ve been relegated, but that doesn’t mean I’m not invested in my Utes.

6 5
      UTE98
      Participant

Not my conference. BYU is 2-0, second year in the conference. Underwhelmed. So far it is about the same as UNM, UNLV, WYO, CSU.

2011, Utah’s first four conference games were losses to USC, UW, and ASU. BigXII doesn’t move the needle.

BYU, UCF, and Utah are leading the league with ISU… three of those four are relative newcomers. Too bad Lincoln transferred to USC, he was a god in the BigXII, now we know why!

1 2
        UTE98
        Participant

Utah started 2012 0-4 in conference as well. What does this say about OU and Texas? underwhelming seasons with far superior rosters.

ORute
      Participant

We’re a football powerhouse in a basketball conference, it is what it is.

Matt
        Participant

“Powerhouse” lol. What a joke. You guys are universally despised by the fans of all big 12 schools. You guys are going to lose some games. Wilson is not a good qb.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Are you done Matt? LOL…like anyone here gives a s**t if Utah is liked, or not, by other Big XII schools. Utah being in the Big XII is the equivalent of me having a cup of coffee at a truck stop on the way to the big time. Have fun in a few years when you’re in the PAC 6/7/8 or whatever it’s called at the time.

Jim McMahon
          Participant

If you are a fellow BYU fan, you’re an idiot. Don’t come to a rival message board and talk trash when they’re venting on their own board. We hate that on CB, so don’t do the same.

Just delete your account.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Participant

Universally despised by all Big 12 schools? Thats like calling the kettle black. Sounds like a cougarboard comment. I’m sure you’ve scanned the internet to find some sophisticated fans on twitter to back that comment. I know everyone likes BYU so much. Go back to the free ice cream stand for visitors at LES and hand out Utah thinks their better than us signs.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

🤣🤣🤣 and you guys are universally despised by everyone outside of the Big 12. I’ll take Freshman Wilson over sophomore Retzlaff any day. And until byi gets rid of ARod, you’ll never sniff the playoff.

2 1
        Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

Common man. Powerhouse? Georgia Ohio Sate Alabama are powerhouses. We are a good solid program but let’s see how we do in the Big 12 with a really good team. If we make the final 4 in the playoffs that might qualify us as a powerhouse this year. I’ve been a Ute fan way to long to consider us a powerhouse.

ORute
          Participant

Nope, going to disagree with you here. The Utah football program has developed into one of the best in the nation, not my opinion, fact. Ask Joel Klatt and other national media. Ask the number of guys we put in the NFL. Ask how well the program has done with ‘less’. Joined a step up in conference and won 2 conference championships. Elite coach, known as the top developer of talent. Would your definition of USC be a powerhouse because they get 5*s and do nothing with them? Georgia, OSU and Alabama are bluebloods–they have a history of being top tier. Utah hasn’t historically been a blueblood, doesn’t mean they’re not currently a powerhouse based on the last 10-20 years. Im proud of this program and don’t hesitate to call them one of the best college football programs, any number of metrics backs that up.

The Miami Ute
            Participant

Come on man…take off the Utah goggles. This is a program that’s never even had one 5-star recruit. How in the heck can you call it a powerhouse? This is a program that routinely loses three to five games every season. Does that sound like a powerhouse to you? This is a program that STILL can’t keep the best in-state recruits in Utah. That’s not the sign of a powerhouse. Maybe one day Utah will be a powerhouse, but that’s surely not now or anytime in the foreseeable future. Sorry for the bucket of cold water but having gone to Miami from 88-92, I’ve had a front seat to what a powerhouse program looks like and, right now, Utah isn’t it.

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

I wouldn’t call Utah a powerhouse either. A very good, solid program yes. Powerhouse? No. You can one of if not the best in the B12 but that’s as far as it goes.

1 1
          SalUteopia
          Participant

I’m with @Vander on this one. We’re a strong program, but we’re not a powerhouse. We’re not on the level of Georgia, OSU, Bama, etc. But there is no shame in that. We have a top 5-7 coach, and we routinely punch above our weight. We’re well respected by the national pundits, and our trajectory continues to trend upwards.

OmahaOmaha
      Participant

Love your enthusiasm. Would like to see it spread.

2 1
      Hellhound152
      Participant

#1 Welcome BYU Matt to the board. You are welcome to celebrate your teams victory with us!
      #2 The Big12 is white dog s**t. The hateful 8 should be embarrassed of themselves, the mid-major 4 may be better than the teams in the league that were in power conferences since the 50’s. We’ll see if they can actually wear the mid-majors down by the end of the season. There is nothing impressive about this league as a football conference.

prestitute
      Participant

I think it is fine for all of us to have our opinions. I think we do have a slightly easier road this year compared to most years in the PAC as there aren’t as many true top teams in a given year. I thought KSt or OK St might be that, but they aren’t this year.
      Overall though, I think our schedule is pretty similar to most years in the P12 (last year being a big exception). I liked the P12 destinations as they generally places I liked to visit, but I don’t think there is a huge difference on the field.

I do like that the BXII fans seem more engaged than most of our P12 brethren, but I don’t see a big difference in our schedule aside from missing the USC, UW, UO type games depending on the rotation. Honestly, 3 of our 9 games are literally the same with ASU, UofA, and CU. USC looks very much like a mid to top BXII team this year, honestly. That LSU win seemed to be doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

No way. Even in the PAC down years it was better than the B12 is now. Maybe this is better than 2021 PAC 12, but that’s a maybe.

Tyler Henry
      Participant

We can agree to disagree! The Pac 12 did not scare me in terms of the teams we played. The only time I truly “feared” a team was last year when Oregon traveled to SLC. We battled the national runner-up with a squad of backups. The main thing I love about the Big 12 is that the fans are great, and there really isn’t a “bad” team, other than Houston. Houston has been recruiting well since joining the conference though, so who knows!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.