Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Ludwig

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Jonzin1
      Participant

Is it considered a given that Ludwig retires with Whit? Does anybody know? I’ve kinda heard that in the past. So if this does happen to be Kyle’s last year and Andy leaves with him, any ideas for an OC? Brian Johnson would be amazing but don’t think he’d be interested.
      I value and understand the conservativeness of Kyle’s offense preference, I just think we need to take a few more chances to make big plays. I hope Scalley agrees

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Ludwig is 61. He’s never going to be a head coach. I doubt that Scalley would keep him but you never know. We can blame Ludwig all we want but it’s likely that the offense he runs is a figment of Whitt’s imagination. By that, I mean that Whitt is probably giving Lud guidance as to what he wants out of the offense and Lud is putting together the product that you see on the field. It could be that Scalley would keep him but give him completely difference guidance as to what he wants out of the offense.

SalUteopia
      Participant

I generally don’t subscribe to the ‘fire XXX’ philosophy, but I’d make an exception for Ludwig. I don’t understand his “complex” offense, and the need to have one in the first place. Cam and Huntley artificially elevated his reputation. We have enough talent to make it work even with Wilson. Injuries and QB debacle aside, we’d still be undefeated if not for Ludwig. I was really hoping ND would take him off our hands.

EastCoastUte
      Participant

Ludwig can’t call big plays if Cam can’t accurately throw the ball due to his injury…

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Ludwig has said that he will retire if/when Whitt retires.

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

Morgan needs to go out and find his own OC if Whit hangs it up, which is rumored. We cannot go through another season of Ludwig. If he doesn’t decide to retire with Whit then Morgan needs to go in a different direction.

Trailgoat
      Participant

No way MS keeps Ludwig. The culture is set, time for a new generation OC. Wilson has an excellent arm and needs an innovative throwing mind to use it. The Utah OC job is going to be a coveted opportunity. Plenty of coaches see how good an offense can be with a MS run defense, thats not going away.

1 2
      pedro
      Participant

Why do you feel BJ would be a great add? He’s literally been unsuccessful in that position everywhere he’s been. I love the guy, but I’d pass.

stbone
        Participant

I fantasize about an OC either from the Shanahan tree or familiar with the Shanahan offense. A steady diet of stretch, bootleg, and play action would be a fabulous addition to what the team already does well.

RustyShackleford
        Participant

That’s simply not true

AZUTE
      Participant

It’s been reported Scalley wants to run the same spread type O that Utah had in 2004 under Urban

Hello Dan Mullen this is Morgan Scalley the new head coach at Utah. Yeah remember me? How would you like to be my new OC? I’ll pay you 1.3 million a year and give you full control of the offense. Great see you soon

TruckStopTerrors
        Participant

Will his wife(Mullen’s) promise not to lock lips with players?

SalUTEtheU
        Participant

I don’t see a Dan Mullen leaving a low pressure TV gig to jumping back into coaching/recruiting as an OC. I think it would have to be a head coaching gig to convince him to jump back into it. Unfortunately I think we are back to finding that up and coming offensive coach.

Anfernee
          Participant

Scalley wants an aggressive “Urban-like offense” I think he’ll have no shortage of candidates. Especially directing an offense in this conference. Which SHOULD be not difficult but Ludwig makes EVERYTHING difficult.

coachklein
        Participant

Mullen is likely making that salary or close to it as an analyst at ESPN.

UTE98
      Participant

I’m torn on Ludwig. His play calling in the red zone lately has been part of the problem. I don’t think the rub route last game was a bad call. In my biased opinion the defender blew up our WR instead of it being offensive PI.

So Ludwig has been OC several of our best years. Two Rose Bowls, 2008 (Sugar Bowl). And been back for all our Pac12 championship appearances. But it seems like a broken record talking about red zone issues. He left after our Sugar Bowl appearance. So from 2009-2018 were we better off offensively? Sadly I say no. Just minor improvements in play calling would result in more success. Forget the triple reverses and runs up the middle on 3rd and 4th down and give us some screens, quick slants or out patterns past the sticks.

I remember how bad things got after he left. Whitt and Lud work best together. Hopefully they figure it out the rest of this year. I’m optimistic in what IW can do.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

contact on a rub route is okay as long as the receiver “acts” like he tried to avoid it. that was a great call poorly executed.

Ludwig has good plays at his disposal. He just doesn’t use them. Run the exact same play again. Flip the formation and immediately run the same play to the other side. Line up in the same formation and run a counter off it. You’ve just put the D on their heels, don’t let them off on a technicality. Instead he turtles up when his one shot per drive doesn’t work and goes right back to base.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

It’s amazing how good Ludwig becomes when he has a good QB. Rising and Huntley offenses scored points and moved the ball consistently. Without Rising and Huntley offenses have no identity and become stagnate. Let’s see what he can do with Wilson for Six games.

Utegator
        Participant

It was odd seeing him draw up a passing play on first down on almost every down of that ASU game.

Utegator
        Participant

It was odd seeing him draw up a passing play on first down on almost every down of that ASU game.

RUUTES
      Participant

Ludwig seems able to design his plays for 1 QB. And if anything changes he seems lost. If we have a BJ or a Cam and they are solid and healthy then his plan moves forward. But he doesn’t seem to adapt well to a change in the starter. he responds by dialing it all the way back to ultra pasteurized vanilla then trying to seem tricky by tossing in random and ill plays that invariably fail. Nothing about that makes sense to me.

I yelled Fire Ludwig enough earlier in my life I saw how much worse it can be with a revolving door of OCs…so I’m not saying that. I am saying the HC should be sitting him down and saying “I want to see your full gameplan for QB1, QB2, and QB3” and making sure they make sense.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.