Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Ludwig’s complex playbook

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ludwig’s complex playbook

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Northernuteah
      Participant

Where I’m at a loss with Ludwig’s “complex offense” is 1. If it’s so complex, how is it always so predictable. And 2. I don’t understand how we have the excuse that it’s so complex so the QB’s can’t learn it fast enough. How is it that teams like Oregon, USC, Ohio state, Oklahoma, even can say Vanderbilt or ASU along with several other schools can field a transfer quarterbackh and they don’t skip a beat. Is it really a complex offense or is it more Ludwig’s inability to teach it. I can’t say I have ever thought Ludwig’s playbook to impress me more than a team like Ohio State or even Oregon.

I have zero knowledge of this but let’s assume maybe the reason rising did not get pulled is because Wilson maybe isn’t 100% healthy by chance and so the thought of keeping rising was to preserve Wilson (even though I don’t think this is the case) how is it that by this point we can’t get a guy like Huard who has been a QB2 at an elite program and has played some college ball be ready to play.

11 1
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t. That’s Ludwig’s playbook. The real tell is Whitt and Lud telling people last year with a straight face that a guy like Rose, who was in his second year in the program, didn’t have a good handle on the playbook. If that’s true, the problem is not Rose, it’s your playbook.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I mean, how complex is run up the middle, run up the middle, run up the middle?

Rick Walker
      Participant

I’ve been thinking about this. Even if it’s true that Lud’s playbook is really complex and players are struggling to understand it, the fact stands that the playbook should be simplified. In a world of college football where players are constantly changing schools you need to be trying to find the most effective playbook that can also be easy enough that all your transfers can actually be impact players

Northernuteah
      Participant

And it’s not like we see anything that surprises us. Stanley is in it’s 1 of 2 plays. Mitchell is in, it’s a run up the middle.

Last year was similar. Anytime Nate Johnson came in, the entire defense knew it was a run.

Last night rising had time to throw. I feel much better protection that what Wilson has had which is a positive sign maybe the o line is improving to some potential

2008 National Champ
        Participant

With Rising in the game, the D has to respect the hot routes and the ball coming out quick. With Wilson, the decision making is slower and he’s struggling to come off his first read consistently so you can devote more resources to forcing him to make decisions before he is ready.

ASU was content to drop 7 against an inaccurate QB last night and it worked with 3 picks and maybe one big play given up. The O Line did a good job but they were also able to do so with the number advantage. Utah using a different QB would have most likely lead to more rushers and the O Line not looking as good.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.