Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Ludwig’s hands tied, compared to prev years (Cam is only half the equation)

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ludwig’s hands tied, compared to prev years (Cam is only half the equation)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      4 4
      Ute Dub
      Participant

The other half of the equation is a running back that seeks contact and punishes the defense, wearing them down, a compliment to Utah’s defense, like what we’ve seen the last 20+ years at Utah. Ludwig had that with Tavion Thomas, Zack Moss, Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack. Although not with Ludwig, Devontae Booker would seek to be the hammer to the defense. Could have had it this year with Jaquindon but hindsight hinted that he was always injured and not worth the value of the NIL he could get elsewhere. Bernard is a great back, but I don’t see him punishing defenders, he’s not that type of back.

Let’s not forget, Ludwig OC’d Vanderbilt to the leading rusher in the SEC in 2018 as both the OC and Running Back coach. We thought we had the horses this year…but we don’t quite yet with a freshman QB and the RB room looking soft compared to previous years. Maybe soft isn’t the correct work, but a different style of running backs. Again, Bernard just doesn’t punish the defense the way Utah running backs typically have for the last 20+ years. Mitchell not running hard, Anthony Woods getting injured, Jaquindon leaving. Leaves a 1 guy running back room…but Bernard doesn’t have that stout frame like a Damian Hunter.

Just my .02 cents. I can view Ludwig with some gratitude for what he gave Utah.

I get the play calling woes, but also, if the QB doesn’t have a fall ball to prepare as the #1, then you’re not going to understand how to call to the audibles that will beat the defense and how to execute those plays, so what happens? You audible to a dive play.

3 1
      Rick
      Participant

You feel like Jackson was a punishing runner? Seriously?

Ute Dub
        Participant

No, not last year, but he is this year. That’s why I said, “Could have had it this year with Jaquindon but hindsight hinted that he was always injured and not worth the value of the NIL he could get elsewhere.” I think he has 10 TD’s through the first 6 games this year. I’d take that.

I do think he was a tough runner once he got to the 2nd and 3rd level, just because he was much bigger than the DB’s.

https://x.com/DB_cUTEpper/status/1700889658761392205

jshame17
      Participant

So a QB needs all of fall camp as the #1 to be able to audible and run a productive offense?

Cam has been out and Wilson the starter basically since 09/07 … how much more time does Lud need to figure this out? Especially after last season without the QB who has never finished a complete season.

If an offensive coordinator still can’t get a QB ready and field a competent offense in a month including a bye week, then they aren’t capable of doing their jobs. Even with a freshman at QB.

Utegator
        Participant

leaving the injured Cam on the field in that game when it was obvious he couldn’t make an accurate throw was 100% on the coaching staff. Pretty sure EVERYONE was confused about that.

Ute Dub
        Participant

Genuine question. How do you see the rest of this season going? The guards can’t pass block, the pressure will come straight up the middle. How does the offense get fixed?

2008 National Champ
          Participant

one possibility would be that the new guy has seen everywhere that the O has been getting beat and immediately moves to counter. blitzes up the gut are fairly simple to plan around. quick screens to the outside, always running a hot route at the MLB, shifting the protection and rolling the QB out are the obvious options. you have to execute but countering a defense’s aggressiveness is OC 101.

Utesbyfive
            Participant

Does Ludwig’s offense use planned rollouts?

2008 National Champ
              Participant

Yes. Or I should say that he has one rollout that is a staple of his offense. He’s been rolling his QB right a couple of times a game since he came back in 2019 with the TE between 3 and 5 yards downfield and another receiver usually 10-12 yards deep and heading to the sideline.

Kuithe and Kincaid were usually successful on the underneath but there was the usual caveat that Ludwig would typically call that on 3rd and medium to long requiring the TE’s to break a tackle and get the rest of the yardage themselves. Vele made a couple of sideline catches from Barnes on that play last year. There was typically a backside post that maybe got thrown to twice in 6 years.

Like everything in Lud’s playbook, it’s a good play. It could have been more effective if used in sequence giving the same initial look with different route structures on the non-TE routes but like most of his calls the last few years, he only called it in the same situation with the same personnel and formation. It took 100% execution and the D not recognizing something they saw a lot on tape for it to be anything more than a safety call.

Anfernee
      Participant

Listening to Scott Mitchell talk on the radio today about the lack of adjustments was maddening. Basically saying from his college and pro days, he’s never seen an offense that doesn’t adapt to what the defense is doing. Which was happening. And how Ludwig wouldn’t allow Wilson to audible out of a play at the line of scrimmage. Not tailoring things to IW strengths and utilizing the pass catchers properly. We’ll see if it matters and how much Whitt will control Bajakian but it literally can’t get any worse

Utegator
        Participant

Yes, it was an interesting interview. Its been very obvious that opposing defenses knew what Utah was doing… because we kept running the same plays. Like our swing pass plays took so long to develop the defender was smashing them as they caught the ball.

4 3
      TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

Ludwig was always a mediocre OC that of course was elevated by the talent on his roster. Not to say other OCs aren’t elevated as well. Ludwig was just predictable and unimaginative. I wish him well in his next stop or life in general, but this was long overdue.

UtMtBiker
      Participant

The other half of other 3/4 is the QB play is awful. The numbers don’t lie. He’s bad. Accept it. He can get better and be great but he’s the worst QB we’ve seen in the field this year by either team

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

I don’t think it is accurate to say his hands are tied in this respect. That implies that he didn’t have any control over the matter, and he absolutely did.

He could have gone after a big back in the portal, and he instead went after Woods, who is not big, is not physical, and would not have helped in that regard, even if he wasn’t hurt.

Ute Dub
        Participant

I’m more referencing play calling. He doesn’t have the punishing back. He doesn’t have the quarterback. He can’t protect the freshman QB by giving the load to a punisher.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.