Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Mass exodus

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      NashvilleUteFan
      Participant

How at risk are we of a mass exodus at the end of the season? Between what’s happened this season combined with the potential overhaul of staff when Scalley takes over and just the overall disarray and bad vibes within the program right now, I fear we may see an unprecedented amount of transfers as well as de-commits (we’ve already seen a couple of those) this coming offseason. In the new age of the transfer portal I feel like we’ve actually done a pretty good job of gaining more than we lose through the portal each year (not the case this year losing JJ) and I think a lot of that had to do with the stability and consistency of the program. But we are quickly losing that badge of honor.

Ghost/OnlyU any thoughts on this?

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Obviously it is a big concern for Whitt and Scalley. Ludwig is taking a hit for the team by resigning. If we don’t turn things around this week and against BYU things could get pretty ugly.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

We should have some available NIL money though since we presume Cam isn’t coming back. Might be able to pay some to stay or pick up some new players?

AlohaUte
      Participant

All depends on how the rest of the season goes and NIL money.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

NIL money, NIL money, NIL money, followed by playing time…those are the only things that really matter nowadays.

Ute Dub
      Participant

Stop the fear mongering. The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. We’re going to have a good O-Line come back and a good defense. That’ll continue to be our mantra with Scalley. I’m excited to get some younger coaches in and to see if they vibe with recruiting better than Ludwig.

Larry B
      Participant

If Jay Hill is still at BYU next year, I fully expect him to come after some of our guys (Snowden would be the first guy I’d approach). Let’s not forget, BYU has their own version of Phil Knight who could pump as much money into that program that he wants to. He could pay coaches to stay and pay players to come. This is why NIL needs some sort of restrictions.

Utah5410
        Participant

I wouldn’t worry about that Jay Hill is gone after this year. USU is open. They would hire him in an instant. Or another head coaching job.

MacKidsAlumn
      Participant

If you have a losing or mediocre season, is a mass exodus a bad thing? Some of the guys have been way overhyped, while others have not been properly used by coaches. Either way, is it bad if they move on?

Ghost of the HEB
      Participant

Everything is fluid right now. Will we start scoring more than 1 TD per game with Bajakian calling shots? Will Whittingham actually give him full reigns like he says? Will guys who should be more involved start to get more involved? Was Ludwig really the problem? Is Whittingham done after this season? If so, who does Scalley have lined up for DC/OC? All is yet to be seen. I’m confident from this point, we’ll see fewer “politics” type decisions when it comes to who plays and who doesn’t. It’s survival mode time for the staff, and your best chance is to play your most talented players — regardless of who isn’t being “humble,” who isn’t at the coach’s ideal weight, who is family friends with a coach, etc.

The answers to the above questions will determine the level of exodus we see. Some guys we’ll lose regardless because of the current state of portal and NIL (and it’s not always a bad thing if a player leaves). But if we start seeing results and build momentum through the end of the season, I think the vibes can get back to where they need to be to keep some current and prospective players who seem to be goners.

Anfernee
        Participant

Thanks again for all your input. What’s your feelings on this being Whitt’s last year? Originally I felt like if we made playoffs he’d ride off on his Harley into the sunset. I also thought if we had a down year he wouldn’t go out like that. But this feels different. It’s been such a massive disappointment, toxic at times (this year) and chaotic last two years, he sees it’s time for a new voice for the program.

Ghost of the HEB
          Participant

He was making comments even in Sept about being on the fence. Things have really gone downhill since then. My gut feeling is that he really wants to leave on a high note (which is why he came back after both Rose Bowl losses), but it’s also likely he is starting to realize that not every legend gets a storybook ending, and that’s okay.

Utah#1
      Participant

The interim OC has a lot of pressure on him coming in to right the ship just a little before the end of the season. Can he do it? I don’t know. After doing some research on him, I wasn’t impressed with his experience and coaching record to say the least, but just a new cog in the wheel. If he can kinda turn things around starting with Houston and then BYU, we can at least finish the season on a good note. To me, keep the existing players we as well as the recruits is very important, but wouldn’t be surprised if some players announce their intentions to transfer.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

least amount of pressure possible for the position. Utah continues scoring under 20 ppg, it’s the last guys fault and it was too broken for him to fix during the season. Utah gets up around 30 ppg the rest of the season, he gets a shiny new contract.

The only way you make this move during the season is if you are acknowledging that staying the course would be worse than a hail Mary. No matter how it gets spun in interviews.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.