Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Matt the BYU fan would have been suspended on the CB for his posts

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Matt the BYU fan would have been suspended on the CB for his posts

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

If a Ute fan would have posted similar things about BYU on the CB – he/she would have been suspended and the post deleted.

Thanks, Tony for allowing freedom of speech. I think Matt completely believed in what he posted. However, in the end he was trolling and trying his best to irritate Ute fans with things like calling Whitt a douche.

I responded to his crazy post yesterday, but I now see that it is a waste of time to continue arguing with the guy.

I am a proud Ute fan. I was a fan during our 1-10 seasons in the 1970s and remain a fan today.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Not being a devil’s advocate but I liked his comments about the future state of college football. As a Miami, Florida native (but Utah grad) I must say that, while I dislike BYU, they’re not really on my radar. I basically shun them until we have to play them. Utah and BYU no longer occupy the same physical space in the college football firmament and it’s hard to see a path where a school like BYU ever comes back to being relevant.

MDUte
        Participant

I agree with you Miami, BYU will soon be gone in the future landscape of Tier 1 football. I realize the traditionalists don’t like where things are headed. I, for one, couldn’t be more excited because I’m absolutely confident that Utah is going to be included. And I love the idea of Utah playing week in and week out against the best brands in CFB.

There was nothing more exciting to me than when PACmas happened and our schedule immediately got upgraded from playing New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado St etc to having USC, Oregon, and Washington come to Rice-Eccles Stadium. When Utah gets promoted again, it will be even better with the best brands from the former P12 along with teams like Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St. It will also involve crossover games with teams like Bama, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. Getting to watch the Utes be part of that is football heaven IMO…sign me up!!

Tednab
          Participant

I appreciated Matt’s melt down yesterday it was pure entertainment.

W16Ute
            Participant

I agree. That post brightened my day. It was hilarious.

AlohaUte
            Participant

It always amazes me when middle-aged men act so immature and ridiculous on the internet.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

I’m not as confident as you are that Utah will be included in a so-called “Super League.” For one thing, RES and its lack of capacity is a liability. As it stands, it’s only bigger, and not by much, than five B1G stadiums, all of those belonging to teams in the lower rungs of the conference. For example, Iowa, a team that a lot of people compare to Utah has a stadium that has a capacity of almost 70K. If you’re talking SEC, RES is smaller than all their stadiums with the exception of Vandy’s. So, to be really taken seriously, Utah has to really, really upgrade its stadium situation. Ideally, I’d like to see a brand new, say 80-85K facility but that’s never going to happen. I’m not an engineer so I don’t know if expanding RES to greater capacity is even possible. I also think that Utah has to upgrade its NIL game and develop something along the lines of House of Victory, the USC NIL collective. Unfortunately, this being Utah, you’re going to have to overpay to get top talent. So be it…you’re never going to win anything if the only thing you settle for are mid-tier and down players in the transfer portal. Personally, I’m looking forward to the day where Utah is in play for anyone that enter the portal, even if it’s strictly a business decision on the part of the player.

MDUte
            Participant

I’m not worried about stadium size. That’s not an issue at all. Rice-Eccles is very comparable to Autzen stadium 52K vs 54K. What matters more than capacity size is gameday atmosphere which Utah has in spades. It all comes down to collecting the best brands from across the country. Utah isn’t competing with the schools in the Midwest or East Coast for a spot. We are competing against the other 4 corner schools and Bay Area schools to be that 5th Western brand added. And as it stands, everyone in the media points to Utah being the next best brand out West if the B1G decides to look West again after going to the Southeast for the ACC teams.

What Utah needs to do in the meantime is continue building our brand and stay ahead of our Western competition. It might be 5 years before the B1G comes back West or it could be sooner or maybe it never happens. But if the B1G doesn’t come West again, then there’s the whole prediction that the B1G and SEC are going to fracture and form their own Super League, shedding some of the “dead-weight” teams and replacing with the bigger remaining brands which Utah will certainly be one of those. So either way, I’m confident Utah is in great position to secure its future. Just need to stay the course!

The Miami Ute
              Participant

Oregon is what I like to call an “artificial power.” Do you follow European soccer? Well, to me, Oregon is the equivalent of teams like Manchester City and Paris Saint Germain, who were essentially nobodies until they were bought by Abu Dhabi and Qatar respectively and started receiving massive infusions of cash that had nothing in relation with how much money they actually generated and even currently generate. In a nutshell, that’s Oregon. They haven’t been bought by a foreign country but they’ve received billions of dollars in funding from Phil Knight and Nike, allowing them to become a national brand well beyond the rational scope. If you look at the state’s demographics, it has a small population and so has to recruit exclusively outside its borders for talent. Now, here’s the thing…Phil Knight is 86 years old and he surely isn’t going to live forever. I’m sure a lot of his support is tied up in trust mechanisms, but it will be interesting to see what happens to Oregon football when he passes away and the emotional tie between Nike Inc. and Oregon is gone. Remember, as I’m sure a lot of people do, Oregon has won every single one of their “outright” PAC football championships during the Nike era, meaning they were also rans for a very long time. Dust to dust and ashes to ashes…

Charlie
              Participant

I think this is exactly right. The eventual super league formed by the B1G and SEC will clearly need more teams from the west than the current 4 even while being heavy from the east. There are simply too many advantages and more money to be had by including more than the 4 as opposed to additional eastern markets. Leaving the 4 schools that will likely have trouble competing consistently, with only help from Texas and Oklahoma, to capture the wester half of the country will leave them open to significant market capture by the next tier of conferences. I also think very soon the 4 western schools will experience travel woes and will become very strong advocates for a few more western opponents.

As for stadium size, that is important but also is one of several factors. If it happens that SLC gets the Olympics to return the problem is solved that easily and in advance of the games. I do believe the architecture plan already planned for the addition of a second tier of seating on the east side, if I remember correctly.

ORute
            Participant

Stadium size is a red herring. I’ve said it before, from an entertainment/TV perspective its about engagement and atmosphere. A rocking, sold out RES is top tier. A 2/3 empty tarped-off Rosebowl is embarrassing. people see an empty crowd on tv and tune out–why? Because its a signal of a non-important game or disengaged fanbase, not worth watching. All things being equal, a dead Rose Bowl does not trump a sold out RES because it holds more. We’ve got one of the top stadiums, crowds and engaged fanbases in college FB. Id much rather sell out 50k than have a half empty 100k. Wrigley Field and Fenway Park could double their size and sell-out, they don’t because the atmosphere is great. Bigger is not always better.

ProudUte
        Participant

I hate to see where college football is going. I liked being part of a the PAC12, a regional conference. I hate what NIL has become, and the portal has become a joke.

There will be 2 or 3 super conferences. I hope Utah lands in one of those conferences.

I really don’t care what happens to BYU. If they end up in a super conference with the Utes, oh well.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I, for one, loved the post. It wreaked with little brother syndrome, and it was 100% clear he didn’t bother to read the article before posting. He then went to call Ute fans uneducated. You really can’t make this stuff up, but TSPP fans will never disappoint.

Matt
        Participant

Oh, I read it. I said what I said because I’ve heard Utah fans say the same thing. I happen to disagree. In any case, no hard feelings. On CB I am called out for being a closet ‘yewt’ for saying positive things about your team. If you guys do get called up and us lowly zoobs get demoted, or the church decides to drop football, I will admit that I was wrong.

I really didn’t come to troll. I gave the board a little more traffic than it would usually have in the off-season, lol.

You guys should have a good team this year. Just don’t think a conference title is guaranteed before getting a feel for the different opponents.

MDUte
          Participant

Matt, you seem like a conflicted fan of TDS. I get that they’ve always been your team. But maybe deep down you’re really a Utah fan?? If Kyle and many others can switch over to the red…it shouldn’t be that far of a stretch for you to come over to where it sounds like you might belong???

Matt
            Participant

Haha, back in the late 80s, my dad called my brother and I Utes because we would watch all the Utah games (of course, secondary to byu games) because we knew a few Utah players from our high school. Back in the Jim Fassel years. Yeah, I’m getting old. Will turn 54 in September.

I really didn’t mean to start a big poop storm yesterday. There are many many delusional byu fans on cb who think we are going to dominate the basketball conference. Until I see some games and the new coaches style, I will reserve judgement.

I used to live and die with byu football in my youth, since losses were so rare, they hurt much more. Now I may get annoyed for a few minutes after a blown game, but over it quickly.

MDUte
              Participant

All good brother, stop by any time. You know, you could always be a BYU basketball fan but just switch football teams. Utah football is a lot more fun to follow these days…just putting it out there, we pride ourselves on having a wide tent that’s always welcoming to make room for newcomers. Hell, we even have one of your fans who claims dual fandom (Krindor) as Utah fan as well…as if that isn’t confusing enough. Not sure how that’s even possible but he manages to pull it off.

AlohaUte
              Participant

While Cougarboard is a cesspool of irrationality generally, I also don’t think you guys should shy away about acknowledging what great progress is being made in your basketball program and being excited about it and having high expectations. I would too if Utah had done the same thing in bball. Embrace the excitement of it.

Similarly, I, as a Ute fan, am very comfortable acknowledging that Utah should have one of the best teams in the country again next year, I have expectations that we make the playoff, and it’s a very reasonable expectation. I embrace it.

Yergensen
          Participant

Conference titles aren’t easy to win. While our Twitterphiles have pounded their chests you’ll find a more realistic group here.

P2 inclusion of us will take some planets aligning. But some talking heads include us in the conversation for what it’s worth.

Until then it looks like we’re conference mates again whether we like it or not.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Oh, I’m definitely not one that thinks the Utes have B12 title in the bag. I think the Utes have a shot, but anything can happen and that’s why they play the game.

AlohaUte
          Participant

See if this were the approach you took yesterday when you posted, it would have been a much better engagement (though less entertaining). Your comments here are rational and contribute to the conversation.

Matt
            Participant

Haha, yesterday I had just came home from a dental appointment (root canal) so I wasn’t in the best frame of mind. I appreciate your willingness to reevaluate my potential contributions here. I have browsed this board since it was founded buy have rarely posted until yesterday.

I think I’m shaddow banned on CB. Too many pro Utah takes I guess.

RedUte14
      Participant

the post was deleted by the way

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.