Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Morgan Scalley Dean Witter

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Morgan Scalley Dean Witter

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anfernee
      Participant

Urban Meyer has said on more than one occasion that Scalley is one of the top 5 favorite players he’s ever coached. Chase Hansen (Saints from 19-22) said Morgan is the best coach he’s ever head at any level. Morgan has told people close to him he wants an aggressive “Urban-like offense.” I’m not worried about him carrying over the things Whitt does that drives us nuts. I know everything is still fresh and we are all frustrated but I’m still as optimistic as ever about him as HC.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Yeah, I feel that Scalley is much more like Urban than Whitt. I get a “riverboat gambler” vibe to him. I don’t think that his teams will have a lack of aggression or spontaneity.

UteBacker

Do you two think this is Whitt’s last year, like I do?

Utah
        Participant

If we make the playoffs, and we still can, it might be Whitt’s last year. If we falter, Whitt ain’t going out like that. Whitt is still here because he thinks he can win a national title.

Utah#1
      Participant

That maybe true, but right now Scalley needs to prove himself with the defense until the end of the season. The problem is, Whitt maybe in his way or holding him back from executing a defensive scheme he knows can work. Let’s hope Afernee and the MiamiUte are on point with their assessments.

highlandute7
        Participant

Morgan doesn’t have to prove anything. He has already done that. Some years will be more difficult than others but to say that Morgan still needs to prove himself is off base.

HATUman
        Participant

We are pretty decimated on defense. We have seen Scalley’s defense for years and it’s consistently been one of the best in the country. A few games where PLAYER PERFORMANCE has been lackluster shouldn’t taint his ability to coach. I think he’ll be a helluva head coach, and I, for one am ready to see that get started.

Trailgoat
      Participant

IMO, this is KWs last season. At 65, time to ski, play golf, hangout with family. Sometimes at the end of your career it’s not in the cards to achieve all your high level immediate high level goals. Celebrate the collective achievements over the years and pass the torch. KW staying on as a consultant he can represent Utah’s work towards Super League inclusion. Ideally it would be cool if KW announces at the end of league play with some positive wins. Let MS lead coach the bowl game as a transitional move, that is if Utah wins 6 games? Talk of MS being a predictable KW clone is silly. MS will take phenomenal lessons learned from his experience coaching with KW and make it his own revamping the offensive approach. First step, make sure Ludwig retires with KW or cut him loose if he doesn’t get the message. There’s a lot of excellent up and coming or established OC’s that would take the OC job in a minute with the stout Utah defense already in place. IMO, JH is not that guy. Got to make sure Wilson stays along with other key players. Looking forward to the change.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.