Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

My assessment of game 1

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My assessment of game 1

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

Tough to assess a game against an inferior opponent, but this is what I saw:

– The score was very good. Our first-half offense was great.
      – Stanley was the player of the game and certainly the biggest surprise.
      – Kuithe is BACK!!!
      – Rising looked good, not great. He is not afraid to take a hit. I am sure the coaches will be talking to him about that.
      – I loved that Lohner caught a TD pass.
      – Defense was very good at times, but they seemed vulnerable against the run early in the game.
      – We did not do great at getting to the QB and getting sacks. This is probably my biggest disappointment with the D.
      – We saw glimpses of some good runs, but our running game seemed to lack punch. Not many big runs.
      – As of today, there is a huge difference between QB1 and QB2. But, Isaac will learn, and I am sure he will improve.

I think the good news is that we still have lots of offensive weapons that we did not see tonight. Bently and Alford did not get any catches. I don’t remember Pittman playing. I heard that he might sit tonight with a minor injury. Parks only caught one pass. So, I think we still have a lot to see from our offense.

The bad news is that we had a couple of injuries. Johnson’s injury looks serious and it is at the position that we could least afford an injury.

RedUte14
      Participant

Pittman played. he was targeted over the middle. it wasn’t the best pass by Rising but he could have caught it.

ProudUte
        Participant

Thanks, I forgot that. We still have plenty of weapons that did not get targeted much tonight. I think we will see a lot more of Singer in the weeks to come.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

When SUU was forced to pass the pressure and sacks came. I think for me is the lack of contain early. Once SUU removed the runner it allowed to Utah to get pressure easily. Scalley sent a few vanilla blitzes to cause havok. Snowden had a great open field tackle on a tight end.

Just not a great energy performance is my thing.

UteBrook
        Participant

On the post game Elijah Davis talked about the D just playing a base man scheme. Nothing exotic and that is maybe why the D didn’t seem as tough. But in the end, they had 150 total yards and a goose egg on the scoreboard. That is a good performance.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Hard to assess a game like this. They took care of business which was their goal. Running game didn’t look great. Mitchell looked ok but not a bruiser as advertised. Third and two might need more qb runs which isn’t good. Rising is large and in charge and looked like himself with a better arm in my opinion. Lots of weapons on offense. Ludwig can get creative with this team. I think the players will be up more next week. Hard to get up for an inferior opponent.

Crowd needs biggest improvement!! East side was less than half full at kickoff. Couldn’t tell the west side because I sit in it. Looked 2/3 maybe? People in my row showed up during first quarter and left at halftime. We need to show this team we are a playoff caliber fans.

2 1
      Utah
      Participant

I disagree about QB1 to QB2.

Wilson played great. 7/11 with 74 yards, 7 ypc, and a beautiful back shoulder throw for a TD. I’m getting hard remembering it.

He did have two INT’s. The first one…the coaches screwed him over, which I bet they did on purpose to see how he responded. 3rd and 15, his third college football play ever. I’m ok with that.

The second one…the guy was open, it was just an insanely hard pass to make. If Wilson throws it to the back corner, it’s either an incompletion or a TD. The problem was, you don’t make throws like that on the run when you have open guys with easier throws.

What a learning experience for Wilson and one that is great to learn vs SUU and not vs a better team.

Wilson was an absolute success and to see his poise and the way he read the field, moved in the pocket, ran, and spread the ball around. The way he stepped up in the pocket…there are a lot of starting QB’s in college football that can’t do that. Hell, I’m not sure Jalen Hurts can do that.

He made quick decisions, had a cannon of an arm (better than Rising’s), was very fast running with the ball, made throws with pressure in his face and while getting hit, and his TD pass to Lohner…there are a ton of QB’s who can’t make that throw.

For the first time ever, Utah has two really good QB’s. Wilson lacks experience, but he will get there.

We should be ecstatic right now.

Ignore the guy talking. He’s so bland.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

I agree Utah. I thought he did fine for his first game. It was nice having a big lead so the mistakes weren’t costly. Second interception he had Lohner wide open in the flat. Needs to see the field a little better. I loved his pocket presence and his arm strength. Glad we got to see him live. He is a great addition to the Ute family.

Utah
          Participant

Agree that Lohner was open in the flat, but the WR was open in the end zone as well. He just under threw it.

Charlie
      Participant

I liked the Utah bunched up offense that resulted in opponent defense of an 8 man bunch with a single deep safety behind the box. We saw Keithe leak out of the bunch for an open post route. We saw Stanley running open wheel routes down the sideline. I will enjoy seeing the wrinkles develop with this over time. As defenses rightly get concerned with the multiple TEs and backs they may start in a set that makes coverage difficult. As the defensive set set changes they can also be victim to running plays with blockers creating numbers and advantage. Enjoy the develoment.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.