Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

My dream coaching staff

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My dream coaching staff

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

It ain’t going to happen, but just for fun:

Scalley will be the head coach at some point, and I am perfectly fine with that.

Offensive coordinator – Brian Johnso (I get that this is not likely, but Brian has a great football mind and lots of experience. He does like Utah and has some local ties. It’s a long shot.

Receiver’s coach – Steve Smith or Brittain Covey (If those two aren’t available – go get Fesi Sitake from BYU. He has an excellent WR core.)

QB coach – Coach Kjar from Corner Canyon. (He is a QB whisperer. Just look at his last 4 starters at CC; Wilson, Dart, Brown, and Wilson)

Keep the rest of the offensive coaches. Hire Fotherinham as an analyst. When he gets enough experience, make him the tight end coach.)

Defensive coordinator – Eric Weddle (Don’t need to say anything here. I would not mind getting Hill from BYU, but that is also unlikely.)

Safeties coach – Chase Hansen (I am not sure if he wants to coach, but I like his style. Rowe would be another guy I would like to have on staff.)

Keepy the rest of the defensive coaches.

Again, this is just a dream. I don not expect it to happen. But, wouldn’t be great to have guys like Brian Johnso, Steve Smith and Eric Weddle here?

2008 National Champ
      Participant

There’s a lot of good coaches out there. Might want to look a little deeper than just former Utah players that in some cases, have ZERO coaching experience. Let alone filling up a staff with those types.

And how do you think Rowe would work with Scalley? Wasn’t he the leader of the “Scalley is a racist” movement once the texts became public?

Ute Dub
        Participant

Exactly! Don’t bring in Ty Detmer just because he’s a legend. I’d prefer someone from the low D1 ranks that has proven themselves punching above their weight. Urban Meyer was that guy, the current Alabama coach rose to the top in that way. Jay Hill doing it down south.

jshame17
      Participant

Interesting thought experiment, but Why do we as a fan base always want former players to come back and coach?

Outside of Scalley, has that worked anywhere?

I get Weddle and Alex Smith because of their intelligence and name recognition, but Fotheringham? Why? Smith wouldn’t be a good coach in my opinion. He’s a perfectionist and I don’t not think he would build up players as much as needed.

What about Jordan Gross for oline?

RedUte14
        Participant

Luther Ellis.

jshame17
          Participant

I’m still in wait and see mode with him.

He has been good but I want to see him land a high level recruit and get this d-line back to being feared. It’s not currently and we lose contain too much at the moment.

But d-line is the least concerning part of the defense that is playing well, but not up to Utah standards.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

Luther had ~ 10 years of coaching experience before coming back. Ganther has coached elsewhere. I’m not against former Utah players per se. But only if they have proven themselves as coaches first. Utah football shouldn’t be a jobs program.

Rick Walker
      Participant

In a dream fantasy world where every hire works out perfectly yes this is the dream. Personally I think getting some other guys from different programs should be move for both offensive and defensive coordinators. I do like the idea of coach Kjar being the QB coach especially if you have a pass heavy offense. I do like the idea of Covey being a coach someday but that’s a long ways away if ever.

fanup
      Participant

Jay Hill

URow
      Participant

Coach Kjar is someone I would like to add to the staff in some capacity. Plenty of high school coaches have made the jump on offense and have done well. I get that some have done poorly, but its a chance I would take.

Rick Walker
        Participant

I think Isaac said in one of his media availabilities said coach Kjar likes coming to watch the practices. So take it for what it’s worth but it sounds like he’s got a relationship with some of the coaches. I also know that Kash Dillion’s (The DE recruit from Corner Canyon) mom and Morgan Scalley are friends so it’s not far fetched to think that they could have built a friendship that way.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.