My questions going into the 2024 season

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am excited about the 2024 Utes. We look very good on paper, and I hope we have an incredible season. However, I have a few questions going into the season.

1. How will Cam Rising play? Is he 100%? I hope we will see the 2021 Cam Rising.

2. Will Kuithe be the same player he was before his injury?

3. Will Woods play this season?

4. What is Lander Barton’s status? I heard from his uncle in January that he was ready to go. But some on this board posted in February that they had heard he may not play this season. He did not play in the Spring. I suspect he is good to go, but …

5. Who will be our starting safeties? Will they be able to deliver at the same high level that our safeties have for the last decade?

6. Will Singer be a difference maker at receiver? Can he be a deep threat?

I look forward to seeing these guys on the field.

Go Utes!!!

Knoblocker
      Ute Fan
      @knoblocker

If anyone here hasn’t checked out 365 Sports. Do yourself a favor! One of the best Big 12/College Football podcasts out there.

UofU Fanatic
        Ute Fan
        @uofufanatic

I liked 365 but it was too much time for me. I usually tune in to Heartland College Sports, locked in Big 12 (but honestly drake host feels like such a Utah hater and BYU lover I actually haven’t listened much), and used to Podcast of Champions (but that likely now Big10 podcast), and locked in Utes

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

All key questions proud Ute. Rising is definitely the key player. Rising is a similar player to Bo Nix. We have similar weapons. Ludwig needs to open things up and spread the field. Can Rising throw the ball downfield with accuracy? If he wants a shot at the NFL he will have to prove it.

Kuithe Singer and Woods are unknowns at this point. Has Kuithe put on weight and more like Kincaid roll or stayed the same and more of a WR role?

Can Rising get the ball to Singer on deeper routes. That would create some big plays.

Woods could be a sleeper weapon. He looks extremely quick and fast but small. Getting him some open space could create some more big plays.

I like our chances that all of the above will pan out. Our offense should be tough to stop. Offensive line has to hold up.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Solid post and questions. IMO, the fist three games are crucial for Kuithe and Rising to knock the rust off, mentally and physically. Almost two years out from a top level sport takes time to get back, some never do. Woods and Ryan injuries remain a mystery to me unless I missed something, hopefully not for the coaches :). Ryan and Woods could be key contributors bringing needed depth. The new WRs and TEs is another post, crazy talent there. Have to think Ludwig is going the Dan Lanning route and protecting his QB at all costs with a lot of quick throws and strong play action for the deep stuff. That said, I am a wait and see on the Oline. Full faith in Harding. Very curious to see if Sam Huard gets reps early in the season. Huard has huge upside and could play a critical role during the season. I’m sure Wilson knows he’s the future putting his time in learning and recovering from surgery if he gets it done. Would be cool to see Wilson in the box with Ludwig part of the season. I can’t think of a more intriguing season following Utah football going back to my days in college during the 90s. A lot of storylines with KW winding down, all the national hype/12 team playoff, new conference auditioning for the next realignment, new players filling holes with the current foundation. Season can’t get here soon enough, though I don’t want the summer to blow by either. Go Utes!

ukiyoronin
      Ute Fan
      @ukiyoronin

I bet the Cam version we see this year is better than 2021 cam.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

I like your questions Proud. I can give you definitive answers on Woods and Barton. Woods will not play this season due to an ACL injury. Barton is healthy and should pick up where he left off last season – one of the dominant linebackers playing college football.

I want Rising to be better than 2021 and he should be. That may be expecting a lot but I envision him doing a lot of what Nix did last season. Coming up to the line, reading the defense and getting the U into plays on the fly that wreak havoc with opposing defenses. That’s the piece I’m expecting. This year should be another year in his progression. I think he’ll throw the ball a little better downfield as well – if only because Singer and the Syracuse transfer will stretch the field. Of course, we’ll see him throwing downfield to tight ends. I remember well a lot of mid-level throws over the middle and down the sidelines to Kuithe and Kincaid.

The offense is going to seem wide open this year given how conservative we had to be last year.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Thanks for the update on Woods and Barton.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Anyone know what surgery Cameron Calhoun had done and if he’s expected to be back in time for the season?

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My questions going into the 2024 season