Fox

My Thoughts on the Game

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My Thoughts on the Game

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      12 1
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

1. Good Lord, I hate early afternoon games. I can’t imagine the level of conditioning these guys have when I’m seeing people carted from the stands suffering from heat related issues.
      2. Utah goes as far as Rising goes. But, the jury is still out on whether Rising is even close to what he was before his knee injury.
      3. What happened to Kuithe? I saw him make one catch and then he was MIA the rest of the game. Does anyone know if he’s on some sort of pitch count?
      4. If these refs were from the Big XII, then they’re about as bad as the guys from the PAC. How could they miss the push at the end of the play that sent Rising crashing into the coolers on the Baylor sideline?
      5. I have trust that Wilson can develop into at least a serviceable QB but he’s not even close to that right now. I saw him throw to guys that were double covered a few times plus airmail a couple of passes when receivers (Singer specifically) were wide open. I’m watching Nebraska vs Colorado right now, and the gulf in the eye test between Wilson and Raiola (also a true freshman) is about the width of the Grand Canyon.
      6. If I was a betting man, I’d wager that Rising gets next weekend off in preparation for the game at Stillwater. Now, I also expect that to change if say the Aggies somehow take a big early lead and Utah is forced to come back.
      7. It’s only the second game of the season, but the defense is already in mid season form. They completely manhandled Baylor and only gave up the one TD due to the Bears calling the perfect play for the defense that Utah was in.
      8. I was happy to see Simote Pepa gets some plays in. The Utes are going to need him to be at his best as they start getting to the meat of their schedule.
      9. Becker had a horrible game. He missed two very makeable FGs that could have iced the game much earlier.

Dallas
      Participant

Baylor seemed to be covering Kuithe pretty well, saw some double coverages.

SalUteopia
      Participant

Raiola is killing it! Wasn’t aware he’s a true freshman.

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Fair points. I will say that Raiola and Wilson are not in the same situation. Clearly there is a talent difference, but the difference in preparation is also apparent. Wilson would be better if he had an entire offseason to prep as the starting quarterback.

If he gets the start next week instead of Rising, I think he will perform much better than he did this week. He did what he needed to do to get the win this time, hand the ball off, don’t turn it over.

Next week he’ll have a chance to make some plays against an inferior team.

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

My thoughts on the game

Coaching – excellent coaching this game, Scalley gets an A+ for sure. He made Baylor’s offense look absolutely awful. Whitt and Co did what they had to do to get out of there with a win in a somewhat sticky situation.

QB – Rising played great. He had one run where he looked nearly as quick as his old self. Great to see. Wilson will do better when he has a week to prepare and a not so good opponent. He isn’t going to be Cam Rising as a Freshman. Cam wasn’t good enough as a Freshman to beat out anyone either. I think the coaching staff deserves some credit for developing him into a solid QB. I think their biggest problem has been evaluating QB talent.

RB – The main thing I wanted to see this week (outside of no injuries) is a classic Utah drive where we force our will upon the other team by running it down their throats, and we did that with the other team knowing we were going to do it. That is a success. I thought Bernard had a heck of a game. HE was able to consistently get 3 yards a pop even when they knew he was getting the ball time and time again. Mitchell is a step behind him, and after him Vincent is probably the best option in terms of pure running ability. Running game isn’t where it should be, but not a weakness either. Good to see.

WR – Rising made an effort to get these guys involved, and they played pretty well. I’m not sure I’d call the missed bomb to Singer a drop, it was just a half step too far out of reach IMO. Pittman is the same non-factor in the passing game that he was last year.

TE – Bentley got a catch. Lohner should have had a TD. Kuithe was doubled all game. meh.

OL – The tackles did a better job this week against a better opponent, so that is a major plus. Kump got penalized a number of times.

DL – These guys, especially fillinger and O’Toole played outstanding. It was good to see Simote out there, Geebus he is HUGE.

LB – Great game

S – I said this last week, not a fan of Gillman’s “tackling.” I sometimes wonder if he remembers he has arms he can use to wrap people up. People who use their head to tackle instead of their arms shouldn’t be playing football IMO.

CB – Great game here as well. Of course, the DL made life easy for these guys today.

ST – Cold Pecker had a rough game today. That’s all I’ll say about that. The blocked field goal return was dope.

Miles E.
      Participant

That 4th quarter 10 run drive was invaluable for the development of the offensive line. I feel much better about our run game after that. Baylor had some dudes on that D-line.

6 1
      HPrete22
      Participant

had rising played the entire game, i believe we win by 35+. just a different energy when he’s in control. but mannn is our defense incredible

3 2
        The Miami Ute
        Participant

Maybe so… however, other than the first drive, the offense was looking pretty ragged even with Rising in the game. I will admit that you can almost physically see the air going out of the offense when Rising is not in the game.

3 2
          AlohaUte
          Participant

It would have been at least 42 points.

1 2
            The Miami Ute
            Participant

Yeah sure…provided Baylor kept turning the ball over inside their own 5 yard line.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Kuithe had a few targets. He was getting mauled on plays. He did have a PI happen to
      him where the safety was early. I guess you could argue play on the ball but you can’t touch the receiver early.

The long one to Singer early in the game. Singer usually catches those.

RustyShackleford
      Participant

Where was glover? Injured or replaced?

UtesRock
        Participant

Mitchell is our future back. I hope Glover stays with us. He will get many touches.

URow
      Participant

Im sure it’s early and the offense isn’t utilizing the entire playbook yet, Rising is rusty, but our offense did not move the ball well today. We got a special teams touchdown and a sack fumble that set us up for an easy touchdown (14 points). When Rising was in, we had 3 punts, 1 touchdown, 2 FG tries (1 miss). Issac with conservative offense, 3 punts, 1 missed field goal. Although the QB play appeared DRASTICALLY different, offensive results weren’t that different. Cam had two 50+ yard drives whereas Issac had one.

Credit to Baylor for locking up Dorian Singer and Brant Kuithe, but we have too much talent to be this offensively unproductive.

Ute in Chatt
        Participant

1. I think We rise or fall with Rising!

2. Issac wilson is still having way to many deer in headlights, and I get it he is young, and the game is way faster than high school, but hate how little offense we produced the last two games with him under center. I feel like it is last season, and our defense will have to keep us in the game as we can only score 14 pts a game on offense. Again, I get he is learning, but was hoping for a little better performance.

3. Defense was a beast minus 3rd quarter, but Utah is an emotion based team. We lost our MOJO when Rising got hit and left the game. I do feel the Moment of Loudness definitely helped pulled our heads out of the sand.

4.i love, love what Scalley does when the other team substitutes and the defense gets to as well. It stalled one drive and almost another. 3 sacks and 8 tackles for loss. WAY TO HOLD DEFENSE FOR THE VICTORY.

5. GOOD OLE WHITT AND THE 7 MIN DRIVE AT THE END TO PUT IT AWAY! GREAT COACHING TO HELP GET THE W. At the end of the day it wasn’t as pretty, but a W is a W.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.