Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Nate Johnson

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Nate Johnson

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      NorthernUte
      Participant

New found love for the kid. Played his ass off for us, was broken out there and just gave it his all. Didn’t make the best throws all night, but damnit those receivers dropped a lot of balls. Emery Simmons is the least impressive receiver I think I’ve ever seen… still don’t think he’s caught a ball? Tried to give him a gimme last week against UCLA on a screen and he DROPPED it. P**s poor performance from the receivers. Kudos to Nate for leaving it all out there. Pretty impressive heart from a freshman. I’d hate to lose him next year, but if the rest of the season plays out like this, I wouldn’t blame him for packin up and heading out.

DrahtUte
      Participant

I’m still getting over my shock at Nate’s willingness to keep his eyes down field time after time. He stood in there for as long as possible every single time.

Makes me wonder how well he could do with a game plan that was heavily weighted to RPO. He’s now shown that he can be very patient. We just need to see if he can make correct RPO reads consistently.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Johnson’s problem is mechanical. His tendency is to be flat-footed and arm throw especially on the shorter routes. That’s what leads to the under/over throws.

22Ute22
          Participant

Those things are fixable though, especially for a raw, inexperienced guy like NJ. He needs to work with a dedicated QB coach during the offseason. Plenty of QB’s in the NFL have gone from bums to above average or even good with a good QB coach. Whitt needs to hire an actual QB guru to teach the QB’s.

Yergensen
        Participant

^this, tailor plays to NJ. RPO, move the pocket, throw on run, run at edges. Lud does it when NJ is utility player, but not as a starter, why?

Utah
        Participant

This is what I don’t get. Utah invented the RPO with Alex Smith. And we have a QB that could excel at it.

Yet we hardly run it. It’s mind blowing.

1 3
      Caliman
      Participant

Utah will be lucky to go 6-6 with NJ at QB1, CR and Barnes need to get most reps in practice

RoboUte
        Participant

They already do.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

8-4 is still on the table. Arizona and Colorado are now toss-ups but Cal and ASU should be wins. And I’m not conceding there is no chance at upsetting SC, Oregon or Washington. 1 loss does not automatically mean 5 more unless you let it.

At this point, it looks like Johnson is the QB for better or worse. It’s up to the coaches to figure out how to make it for better because there isn’t any extra credit for having injuries. Start with figuring out what your O Line can do well and emphasize that. Then throw out whatever plays you would call with TQWSNBN in the game and stick with the ones Johnson has mastered. Dumb it down to one read and go and tell Johnson to have fun out there.

Johnson is a perfect example of why a HS QB is often the best athlete on the field but not necessarily a good QB. Pistol option suits his current skillset better than pocket passer behind a porous O Line. Instead we are seeing square peg round hole.

RoboUte
      Participant

As many have pointed out there was actually some bright spots for Nate, his growth from only a week ago was evident. But it was too little to make a difference especially in a scheme that makes no sense for him. It was evident that he’s relatively new to the position where others at this level have been playing it for 10 years or more already.

The flip side is that it’s impossible to say if he ever shapes up to a bona-fide QB at all. He could grow into it or he could not. Those who say he may be suited to another position may be right.

But I’m also conflicted because we’ve completely set him up to fail. He has not been properly coached up in his year+ in the program AND we have absolutely no interest in playing to his strengths. If a guy fails in that position I can’t solely blame him.

Same goes for Barnes, I can’t help but think he could be doing better if only a few small improvements were made in our process.

2 1
        Caliman
        Participant

Barnes would pass for 250-300 yards per game in a pass Happy offense, He should consider transferring out even if it has to be a G5 program.

RoboUte
          Participant

My question is why would Barnes stop at 300 when 800 is right there?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.