Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

National Championship

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football National Championship

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ALUF
      Participant

Should Utah claim a share of the national title in the 2008-2009 season?
      Only unbeaten team
      Did not play in the BCS Championship
      Beat a one loss Alabama team in the sugar bowl by a good margin
      Went to Michigan and won
      Beat ranked TCU and TDS
      If you do claim it, do we hang a banner or something?
      If you don’t think we deserve it, why?

Listening to the “voice of college football” on YouTube going year by year of who should and shouldn’t claim national titles is interesting. He said in 08 Utah should have claim to it.

15 1
      Larry B
      Participant

Should we have been in the Championship game? Absolutely. To say that the ONLY undefeated team in college football shouldn’t play for the championship is absurd. But to try and claim a championship that we didn’t win feels really zoobish IMO.

ALUF
        Participant

A lot of universities do claim titles they don’t deserve though. Alabama especially, the fact the ncaa and pac-12 both recognize it should be enough for us

2 2
        ALUF
        Participant

But yeah there is some zoobness to it

10 2
      UteBacker

Love that team, but no way we get through a P5 schedule unbeaten.

3 2
        FtheY
        Participant

This. Exactly this. 

AlohaUte
        Participant

Pure speculation and conjecture and therefore an irrelevant argument

prestitute
        Participant

That year, I don’t know. The P10 was soft that year. Only SC was great. We beat the only team to beat them (OSU). TCU was better than Oregon that year, IMO (commin opponent of BSU kind of showed that). I think WYO beat UCLA in the Vegas that year as well. It was a very strong MWC and a mediocre P10 that year. Only question in my mind os more around injuries. I think Utah vs. USC could have gone either way with the winner maybe getting the NC game instead of rhe Rose. 2008 Utah DESERVED to play for a natty. Just like TCU in 2010 deserved a shot at a Natty.

Roy Rangum
      Participant

While I don’t know that we should hang a banner, the NCAA already considers the 2008 Utes a national champion.

Trib Article

AlohaUte
      Participant

100% we should. When polls that are considered major selectors had the Utes as National Champions that year, I see no reason why we shouldn’t claim it. The Utes did everything asked of them that year.  The hypothetical arguments like, “well, we didn’t play a p5 schedule and wouldn’t have gone undefeated” are completely irrelevant because it’s all just conjecture and assumption. 

AlohaUte
        Participant
        1 2
        UteBacker

I see what you’re saying, but I have eyeballs and I see the toll a P5 schedule takes on a team throughout the year.  Our first few years of being in the Pac12 had some harsh Novembers as we’d run out of steam and depth.  I saw no reason that we shouldn’t have been considered for the mythical championship back then, but I do now.  I’ve changed my tune on that.  To be honest, laying claim to that championship seems bush league and Zoobish.  

We were freaking good though and absolutely deserved to be in the conversation.

Stone
        Participant

Agreed that it should be claimed. The primary argument against it seems to be that we would not have been undefeated if we played in a bigger conference. 

So what?

Look back at the NC teams before the BCS or playoffs. The schools that got those championships did not go through a playoff system or necessarily play the hardest schedules. Do those schools revoke their championships because they would not have survived in a better conference? 

It was always just a beauty contest. And there are some polls (i.e., beauty contest judges) that named Utah the national champion. 

Saying Utah would not have done well enough in a major conference is irrelevant. They won every game. That is undisputable. Saying they would have lost with a different schedule is both speculation and irrelevant. You could speculate about that with any team (i.e., if X team had played Y team that year, they never would have won the NC).

I say claim it. No need to be obnoxious about it. But barring a playoff, it is just a beauty contest, and there were some judges of that contest that said we were the best. No reason why those polls should have any less credibility than others. 

UteBrook
          Participant

In ‘08 we beat some decent P5 teams but our wins against TCU and TDS were very good wins. Remember how dominant that TCU team was in ‘09 and ‘10?

utefansince79
            Participant

After Alabama, TCU was easily our strongest opponent in 2008

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.