Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Netflix Untold: Sign Stealer

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Misc Netflix Untold: Sign Stealer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      SteelUte
      Participant

Sorry if this has been discussed already- Anyone watched this show yet on the Michigan football sign stealing scandal?
      Pretty interesting doc. Conor Stalions comes off as an incredibly intelligent ambitious individual who is super passionate about Michigan football, with his Marine intelligence background he was playing chess while everyone else was playing tic tac toe! Basically he says 80-90% of ncaa teams were stealing signs, had multiple staff members dedicated to stealing signs, etc. Thankfully it pushed the system to change to an NFL like headset for QB and defensive captain. Watching it makes me curious about what Whit’s philosophy was on that, what we were doing, what was done to us, etc. I would like to think we were above this level of sorcery, but watching this show made me skeptical that any team could win at a high level without stealing signs.

NarfUte
      Participant

I would say every team in the NCAA was actively “stealing” signs, and I guarantee Utah was/is doing it. Sign stealing isn’t against the rules – It’s how you go about it. A team would be stupid to not have someone watching the opposing sideline during a game specifically to try and decipher what signs meant.

Where Stallions and Michigan went wrong(and where it became against the rules) was having Stallions go to future opponents games to scout and steal signs…

AlohaUte
      Participant

I, for one, am not outraged. EVERYONE is stealing signs or at least trying to. Now Michigan took it farther by attending other games and video signs from other games, so it’s more frowned upon. But the fact they didn’t move to headsets a decade ago is the bigger issue.

HATUman
        Participant

One of the worst offenders of sign stealing was Todd Graham. As soon as Whitt realized that it was happening several years back he changed how plays were brought in and the game changed drastically in our favor. He never talked much about it though. A couple of years later TG threw a tantrum for claiming Mike Leach was stealing his signs. Pot meet kettle. Also, I miss having Mike Leach around, his interviews were the best.

Kolya
      Participant

It’s a stupid rule. The best teams would have the mindset, you can know our next play, and you still can’t stop it

Kellso
        Participant

Knowing what the other teams play is a massive advantage. Stack on a run play. Blow up a screen. Blitz on a long pass play or drop everyone into coverage. It’s a massive advantage.

Kolya
          Participant

So allow all teams to have this advantage. And the best team should still win

crazyute7
      Participant

In the show, I think the “U” logo was flashed on the screen for a split second when someone mentioned that “there are 5 or 6 teams that everyone complains about for going too far.” I was a bit surprised. Did anyone else see that?

NarfUte
        Participant

Lincoln Riley is a little bitch and made some comments about Utah during the whole kerfuffle. Likely that’s why Utah showed up.

Link to Riley’s comments

Again, the way Utah “stole signs” is completely legal.

Charlie
      Participant

This became a bigger deal when team would wait to see the defense set to call a play from the sideline. Go back to old school and send the play in with a player and have some plays the QB can check to if the box is thin or stacked. Sometimes WRs can check into a route because a defender is out of position but the QB must control the OL when run plays are checked out of to keep them from going down field.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.