Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

New approach to Fall Camp being taken this year

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New approach to Fall Camp being taken this year

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      MDUte
      Participant

Whitt confirmed that to avoid the injuries sustained last year coming out of Fall Camp, they are going to take the NFL’s approach with is more of a “ramp up” than “hit the ground running.”

I approve this message! Go Utes!!

Tednab
      Participant

The Utes biggest test this year will be to stay healthy.

ProudUte
        Participant

Also, we will have the SUU game to get some hitting in. Not starting with a P4 team is a benefit IMO.

6 2
          PhiladelphiaUte
          Participant

I absolutely hate seeing FCS teams on our schedule. They’re always too overmatched to show us anything about our team. I’d prefer seeing us playing midmajors in CA, TX, and FL, or UNLV, Colorado St, Army, or Navy.

But if we absolutely MUST schedule an FCS opponent, it should be ala SEC style, where they stick them in November, to serve as a virtual bye week to get healthy. We don’t need to “get healthy” in Aug/Sept s much as we need to do so in late-Oct/Nov.

UofU Fanatic
            Participant

Philly, I would agree normally but this year I feel little different and okay with it being the first game. Rising hasn’t played a real game in a looong time so I feel this might help shake off the dust a little

AlohaUte
            Participant

I’m totally fine with one as a warm up game to start the season.

ProudUte
            Participant

Philly, I would prefer that all P4 teams never play FCS teams. However, it does some good for the FCS teams. It is typically their biggest payday of the season.

I am glad this year that we have a chance to get some of our injured players some practice before playing the big boys. Rising, Kuithe, Barton, Fano, Bernard, and others need some real-time reps.

MDUte
              Participant

IMO, the FCS games should be played in Spring vs Power teams to give them their payday. And then the G5 programs should be the ones who play FCS teams during the regular season for additional opportunities to make their needed revenue.

EastCoastUte
          Participant

I agree with ProudUte, it’ll be nice to play SUU to work out the kinks & remove the rust. it’ll be like another spring game.

2 2
      HATUman
      Participant

Doesn’t help that Coach Elisaia is having the team doing heavy Olympic lifts midseason. Those are great for summer workouts, but midseason training should prioritize functional exercises that maintain strength and performance without the high injury risk of heavy Olympic lifts. One of my closest friends works closely with the team, and when he suggested as much to coach Whitt a couple of months ago, he stuck up for Doug. I know Coach Whitt and coach Elisaia are very close, but this has been an issue for years. No reason to get rid of him, but after years and years of injury issues you should probably look to change something up.

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

There is no evidence that our injury issues last year, which primarily existed before the season started, had anything to do with mid season training methods. I would guess that we are, most years, no more or less healthy than the average team.

You go on and trust your friend over Kyle and Doug though.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

How many seasons does it take to figure out? One season we didn’t train hard enough in the offseason, one season we trained too hard etc… Hope this is the season they figure it out.

ORute
      Participant

Impossible to know what’s due to training and what’s just bad luck. TBH, artificial turf probably has a larger impact on injuries than anything else–crazy how many knee/achilles injuries from planting/sticking there are. Injuries are part of the game and last year was abnormally bad. We can say that we are one of the tougher more physical teams out there, so training has done a good job for the most part. The one issue with staff I do have is letting QBs be live in practice–see B. Rose last year. QBs have worn bibs in practice since the dawn of time for exactly that reason–could have really used him last year. Otherwise, injuries are hard to control, just cross our fingers.

HATUman
        Participant

It’s not impossible to identify factors contributing to injuries. Studies have shown that combining heavy lifting with high-exertion activities like football can increase the risk of injury. For example, research published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that athletes who engage in heavy resistance training alongside intensive sports activities are more susceptible to overuse injuries due to the cumulative stress on their musculoskeletal system (Petersen et al., 2011). Emphasizing functional exercises and recovery can help mitigate these risks and maintain player health throughout the season.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.