Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

New Jerome Myles CBs

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New Jerome Myles CBs

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tyler Henry
      Participant

Two new CBs were released for Jerome heading to USC. I would not panic too much, though. These CBs are proving to be even more unreliable as time goes forward. Current Utah commit Christian Thatcher was CB’d to USC for the longest time but was flipped to Utah last second. Hopefully Utah can make a strong final push!

cj13
      Participant

Twitter insiders are insinuating that we lost Myles to USC (Chisme). OnlyU has been adamant so far that he was ours to lose. Has that narrative flipped at this point OnlyU?? Not surprised after these first 2 games honestly

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

If Chisme is saying that, I’d go with that.

Onlyu
        Participant

I don’t think it’s over yet but yeah I think his visit last weekend to SC puts us landing him at significant risk.

Prior to last weekend he was leaning Utah. So far we’ve held off A&M, Ole Miss and Michigan among others…clearly possible that we don’t dodge another bullet with SC but until he’s signed we’ll continue to push regardless of where he sits today.

cj13
          Participant

I hope Wilson can blow up this weekend and we can get some crazy WR yardages. Probably won’t happen tho :/

Ghost of the HEB
            Participant

Doesn’t necessarily have to be a full on WR show, but has to demonstrate that this is a place you’ll be fed as a passing game weapon. Through two games vs not great defenses, our receiving yards leader is a RB. Guys like Landen King (who is boys with Myles) doesn’t have a catch yet (or even a target to my knowledge). We gotta be flexing muscle and spreading the wealth in these non-conf games for 1. To build chemistry and confidence and 2. Show outside talent this is a worthwhile place to play offense.

Anfernee
              Participant

Ghost, always appreciate your insights. So is Myles good as gone? Maybe if Isaac goes out and is 35/40 for 450 yard with 4 touchdowns, maybe we gotta chance still!? 😭 I realize that ain’t gonna happen.

Ghost of the HEB
                Participant

His performance against IMG Academy a few weeks back raised a lot of eyebrows. SC rolled out the red carpet and I’m sure dangled potential $ in front of him. That, combined with signature Utah lackluster WR production, is tough to overcome for a guy like this.

Dallas
      Participant

If he needed to see us throw the ball, he hasn’t seen it.

22Ute22
        Participant

Yup, so far our WR’s have a combined 178 yards in 2 games, and one of those was the money parks TD against Baylor that was just a little toss. USC’s WR corp had more than that in their first game. McMillan from Arizona had more than that in 1 game. WR’s don’t come to just block and get 2 catches a game. People can say all they want that if Myles came here, it would be different, but he’s not gonna risk an NFL future on that, especially when Utah has never proven themselves to be a throwing team.

2 3
      Larry B
      Participant

I wonder if Wilson’s leash will start getting shorter if Myles goes elsewhere. Part of me thinks him being named QB2 has something to do with his connection with JM.

HATUman
        Participant

Oofah

2 1
        beaslad
        Participant

Mmmm, I love a good conspiracy theory and this one actually sounds like it could be real.

cj13
          Participant

There is no way. Whitt wouldn’t put out a worse QB in hopes of landing a recruit in the future. If you think really hard about it you’ll realize why it would make no sense. Coaches want to put the best players out there to win not to play games with potential recruits

22Ute22
        Participant

I don’t really think it does at all. I highly doubt Whitt would name IW QB2 just for some 17 year old WR. Even in his most recent press conference, Whitt says that he’d like to pass and run for 225-250 per game, for a total of 450-500 yards. Sorry, but averaging 225-250 passing yards is not a WR friendly offense, especially considering our heavy TE usage.

4 1
          Larry B
          Participant

The alternative, in my opinion, is that Rose and Huard are really really bad. That would be disappointing.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

Rose probably. Huard is up in the air but it shouldn’t take a 4th year QB that long to learn the offense. At most, it’s just getting the different terminology down.

For as good as Huard’s pedigree was, he got chances his freshman year at UW and didn’t do well. And he didn’t exactly tear it up after dropping to FCS. He throws a pretty ball but has a long throwing motion and doesn’t appear to have the moxie that his NFL dad (Damon) and NFL uncle (Brock) did.

Ultimate Ute
      Participant

I wonder how much USC plans to pay Myles, versus the Utah offer? The Southern California weather is mild, and USC is also pretty formidable academically, although this is probably irrelevant to most D-I football players, it’s not like you’re talking about the UU ski team, who compete for NCAA titles every year while skiers are majoring in mechanical engineering, computer science, biochemistry, etc., and regularly achieving the highest GPA and graduation rate among Ute athletes.

Speaking of USC athlete compensation, was it ever determined what Caleb Williams was being paid. I saw something in the L.A. Times once that didn’t give specific amounts, but there was something about a private equity fund.

How is USC able to display a giant replica jersey of a double murderer in their stadium. I heard Utah grad Ted Bundy had a great jump shot.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Ted Bundy? you kinda went off the rails there at the end.

Caleb Williams was making the bulk of his money off national ads like Dr. Pepper, somewhere in the 10MM range. Their collective probably didn’t need to pay him anything.

Ultimate Ute
          Participant

Am I the only one that thinks pretending that D-I football and basketball are about COLLEGE is a complete joke.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

It always has been.

– Hugh McElhenny was quoted in the 1950’s that he had to take a pay cut when he went pro
            – The original college football teams in the 1890’s paid their players

The notion of the “scholar-athlete” was something the NCAA came up with so they could enforce draconian rules on kids while expanding their power

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Ted Bundy graduated from Washington not Utah.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

He went to grad school at Utah but I don’t know if he got another degree there before he got caught at the Cottonwood Mall.

RedMenace
            Participant

I believe that was Fashion Place mall.

2008 National Champ
              Participant

facepalm. he was trolling Cottonwood earlier the same day

ReconUte
              Participant

Bundy was stalking my mother during this time. She worked at a restaurant on the southwest corner of the fashion place mall and saw him sitting in his yellow bug nearly every night for about month. My mom was young waitress and she fit his victim profile. The other ladies would often tease her to go out and talk with him because he was handsome and she was single. Luckily she never did!

HeyyyUguyyys
      Participant

Expecting and fine with the inevitable downvotes that come with a comment like this. This whole situation just makes Utah seem like a pretender. I have no reason to think Myles is anything but a great kid. The comment has nothing to do with him as a person. Good for him for having options.

Utah just occupies a funny place in the college football hierarchy right now and it is being exposed big time by this situation. Real tier 1 programs don’t get 4 and 5 star recruits all the time, but it’s ok because they reel big fish regularly and they turn around and land another one 2 weeks later. Mid tier teams don’t stress about 4 and 5 star recruits because they know they were never in the running to begin with. Then comes a program like Utah sitting on recent conference championships, highly respected head coach, and a current #12 ranking, and you would never know it based on some of these discussions. All of the focus on how Myles would be the highest rated recruit ever or the idea that we feel urgency to convert to a more WR centric offense quickly so we can show him we are worthy of his services feels gross. It is something that an insecure program would do and makes us look like we don’t belong at the table. You know who isn’t framing recruiting that way? Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Texas… they make it known that they want somebody, they confidently make their pitch, and they let the chips fall and move on regardless.

These are the growing pains that come with trying to become an elite program, I get it. Every successful story is a mix of real progress and faking it until you make it. We have plenty of both.

NorthernUte
        Participant

I like the majority of your comment, the one thing I would argue though is that those big schools do NOT always just let the chips fall. All the time you see recruits flip and they don’t just flip for the hell of it. While the fan base may not be as excited as we are about landing a talent like Jerome, the coaches are equally as greedy as any other coach.

Uteanooga
        Participant

“make it known that they want somebody, they confidently make their pitch, and they let the chips fall and move on regardless.”

I suspect this to be exactly what the coaches are doing. The fans are the ones being a little gross. The coaches are recruiting and will be fine whatever the outcome is. I am sure they want him but I am equally sure Whitt is not pulling his hair or acting gross over the concept of Myles going elsewhere.

RedRocks
        Participant

I wouldn’t expect Utah to change who they are to pander to a potential recruit. However, you also can’t expect to be able to recruit great receivers if you never throw the ball to your current receivers.

I like living in Utah and I am a big Utah football fan. However, let’s be real. If I was a four/five star wide receiver recruit from Utah and got offered a bunch of money to play at USC, why wouldn’t I go there instead of Utah?

USC has a much better track record with wide receivers, actually throws the ball to wide receivers (yes, even when they are not wide open), is located in Southern California, and has a lot more exposure.

Granted, he will have more competition for playing time and may not see the field. However, if that happens, he can just transfer. Maybe in that case, he’d even come block for Utah 😉.

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

I agree with this to a certain extent, but I would add that there are reasons to want more wide receiver production outside of simply appealing to WR recruits. It is better for our offense to diversify.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.