Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Not a popular question…

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Not a popular question…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      UTE98
      Participant

So if Ludwig and Harding are being questioned… what about the TE coach. What is his responsibility in the TEs underperforming in blocking, getting open? Is he beyond reproach?

Anfernee
      Participant

I think the rest of the season for these offensive coaches is an audition for next year. Whether that’s for Whitt or Scalley (I think MS is HC next year) it’s an opportunity to show what you can do. Especially under these circumstances. That includes Freddie.

2 2
      UtMtBiker
      Participant

Any offensive coach is only as good as his QB and ours is terrible. He might be great but right now, as a true freshman, he’s awful.

TruckStopTerrors
        Participant

To be fair though, Kuithe even talked about how TCU seemed to know the exact play they were running and the routes that would be run in his post-game. The blitz got through just about every time making Isaac run for his life. I don’t think Isaac played great, but the offensive playcalling was also s**t and has been this season in general. It’s so predictable even for us fans watching what they were going to do.

7 2
      Red Rhino
      Participant

I don’t want anybody from this offensive staff to stay on. I’m so tired of boring offenses. Many times the offense is so offensive that it feels like we lost the game even when we win the game. How many times have we seen us get a lead only to see the offense go ultra conservative, and end up barely squeeking out a win. Also, we have been terrible at qb development. Under Kyle, quarterbacks get worse over time, not better. He makes them so afraid of turnovers that their qb instincts go away.

2 5
      Utah#1
      Participant

Kyle Whittingham has been the #1 problem for some time now! How many OCs has Utah gone through since he’s been HC? A lot! Taylor who is now the HC at Stanford was OC at Utah for 1 year and then bolted. Different OCs same results. That has gotta tell us, maybe it was never the OCs, maybe it was Kyle Whittingham all along and to be honest, his pride and ego has caught up to him that prompted Ludwig to resign. Let’s see if the issues continue with the interim OC and Kyle still at the helm.

I do not expect anything to change as long as Whittingham is still the head coach at Utah. My only hope is he retires after the season is over! Go UTES!

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Taylor was on the hill for 2 years which is about average for coordinators anywhere but Utah. Anywhere else, a good coordinator is liable to get poached to a higher paying gig or a head coach slot, and one who isn’t getting the job done gets replaced. Utah has been different in that it’s been a last stop before retirement gig for some of the staff without any upward or downward pressure related to performance.

Whitt has been successful for a long time surrounding himself with people he is comfortable with. But it’s not common in the industry to have multiple coaches who have been on the same staff for over a decade. I keep going back to Saban who seemingly had to hire half his staff every year because his people were in such demand elsewhere. Head coaches looking to restart their careers + up and comers all flocked to learn from him and he in turn allowed new ideas to help shape his overall philosophy.

In contrast, Utah has had one overall philosophy and one set of options at it’s disposal for a long-time. It’s continued to be pretty good but it was also going to stagnate eventually and that is what we are seeing now.

pedro
        Participant

5th highest winning coach in the NCAA is the problem. Got it!

Red Rhino
      Participant

Whittingham is a good coach. There’s no denying that. There is also no denying that his offensive struggles have been as consistent as his defensive successes. Although we were lucky to have him and he was the right coach at the time, I’m ready to move on from his ultra conservative style. Perhaps I will eat my words, but no guts, no glory.

I would also like to see the same change for the Running Utes. For too long, we’ve been the walking Utes.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.