Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Not So Fast My Friends…

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Not So Fast My Friends…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

As stated on another thread, Cam Rising’s season is over due to a rumored torn meniscus.

Because Cam sustained a major injury while appearing in less than 30% of competitions, will not participate after the midpoint of the season, and the injury will prevent him from competing in the remainder of the playing season, he will be eligible for a medical redshirt, should he decide to seek one, and return for an eighth college season.

Would you want Cam back? We know the plusses of a healthy Cam but what about the negatives? Probably the biggest negative is that a Cam return could make Isaac a transfer risk. Personally, I’m ready to turn the page and see what Isaac has, though it is intriguing to have a healthy Cam available. I also think that if Cam decides to return for another season of college football, he might be a one-season rental for another top program (hint: USC will need a new QB next season after Miller Moss departs).

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I’m not ready for this conversation!

MFury
        Participant

Ask again after Wilson has a couple games

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Well, you better be ready because it’s going to be all the rage until it gets resolved.

6 3
      Rick Walker
      Participant

Personally I was in favor of him leaving after the 2022/2023 season but it is what it is at this point. The only way I could tolerate him back at Utah after this season is if he’s in some GA role of sorts but as far as playing goes I don’t want him back. If he’s back that probably means we lose Wilson and maybe some others and it’s unnecessary. But I could honestly see Cam wanting to hang it up for good after this.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

NIL is too good to hang it up when you have remaining eligibility. I can guarantee that if Cam can prove by early next year that he’s fit, some top school will take a chance on him if Utah lets him go. For example, look at the guys that Notre Dame has brought in the last couple of years (Sam Hartman, Riley Leonard, etc…). A healthy Cam is better and much more decorated than either of those guys.

Rick Walker
          Participant

Sure the money might be good, but at what point do you say that my body is worth more than a couple million bucks. There’s so many ways to be successful in life and so many ways he could keep football a part of it without risking more damage to his already injury riddled body.

22Ute22
            Participant

He would also have his pick of the litter. I guarantee a top priority for him would be having an elite OL. Notre Dame generally does. Michigan generally does and their current QB situation is pathetic. UCLA is a hometown team for him, but they are awful and they also play Utah next season. I would hope he doesn’t go there, not just for our sake, but for his. USC would not take him imo. They could definitely get a better and/or less injury prone player, and it doesn’t seem like their OL development under LR has been good. Oregon already has a bunch of QB’s and will sign more promising players from high school.

2008 National Champ
              Participant

there would a be a certain amount of irony were Rising to follow Tuttle at Michigan

admiralute
      Participant

I’m not sure Cam wants to come back to Utah. He knows that he not looked at favorably from the fan base right now, and if he does come back, he would be under a microscope. Not sure if anyone likes that type of pressure, especially in a game like football.

I would wager that if he does come back next year, it’s not with the Utes, and yes, he will get paid elsewhere and probably win a lot of games for a team. It’s just time to move on for both parties, and they know it.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

I agree. I also think that he’ll be playing football again next season. And it’ll be, as I said, with a top team looking to make a run and needing an experienced QB to run the show. That’s Cam to a T…if he plays his cards right, he might be able to make more money than he ever did at Utah.

admiralute
          Participant

Exactly. And I would also wage that he would play the full season without injury. It’s just how it goes sometimes I guess.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Utah should keep him on as a GA. But Utah needs to move on to younger talent. Wilson is the future. Need to work on surrounding him with talent.

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

No, it’s time to move on. At this point, there’s no such thing as a healthy Cam. It will be just the same saga next season.

lgt4141
      Participant

Cam did great things for Utah but Utah needs to move on to the present and future players who are there. If the drama of 2023 and 2024 continues in 2025 the whole fan base might revolt.

RUUTES
      Participant

I don’t see Cam coming back in at 100%. he really hasn’t played except two half scrimmage games in 2+ years. He’s got damage to so many places. He’s an asset if he’s fully back but there’s also the future and team development to consider now.

Any Given Sunday kinda scenario…could I see him letting the rookie shine and develop and then coming in and breaking his body for a few big plays in a big game? Guess I could. Would I wish that on anyone? No. The momentary glory sounds great in the movies but a lifetime of injury and pain…not so much.

It seems like it’s time for Cam to decide if he wants to transition (given his age and injuries) into coaching or some other sports related career. Or does he want to go to business or law school and do the next thing? I support whatever he chooses. But I just can’t see how he returns for another year of being targeted on the field. He’s had a lot of injuries for a long time now. That wears on you…moreso the older you get.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Are you familiar with Michael Penix Jr’s injury history? If you’re not, it makes Cam look like the Teflon Man.

2018: Tore his left ACL three games into his freshman season – missed the rest of the season
        2019: Right shoulder injury (Shoulder Clavicle Fracture) six games into his sophomore season – missed the rest of the season
        2020: Re-tore his left ACL – missed the rest of the season
        2021: Dislocated a joint in his throwing shoulder after five games – missed the rest of the season

He was a four-year starter at Indiana and only played a grand total of 20 games. He was injured so often that he had as many pass attempts in both of his seasons at Washington as in his entire career at Indiana.

Then, in 2022, he transfers to Washington, doesn’t suffer an injury in two seasons there, tears up the PAC, and parlays that performance into a 1st RD (#8) selection in the 2024 NFL Draft.

My point is that Cam knows all this and probably believes that he still has plenty of football left in him. If id doesn’t happen in Utah, then it’ll surely be somewhere else.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

The one key for the Penix turnaround was that he went to a school with an offense designed to showcase his arm while asking him to do little to nothing with his legs. Penix’s history would have made going somewhere with a scheme like Oregon’s a much bigger risk.

Should Rising decide to play next year, that is the kind of situation he needs to seek out. Rising’s style of play in no longer conducive to keeping him healthy and if he can’t stay on the field, he might as well hang ’em up now. Because the Utah offense is going to require that he put himself in harm’s way to be successful.

DataUte
        Participant

Agree. I think he has a couple options and he has the right to make the choice:
        – medically retire. Welcome back to the U as a GA or any other endeavor he chooses
        – transfer to another school and they figure out the NIL worth and he makes money to continue the dream. one year rental and good luck (but as others have stated, maybe he goes to a team, plays a full season, gets to the CFP, etc. – unlikely given the track record, but he will be able to pick up any playbook in the nation after Ludwig’s 😉 ).
        – I don’t want any option that he stays at Utah as a player and gets $1 of NIL here. He has received likely $Ms the last 2-3 years without playing that much. Time to give it to other players, including Isaac, RBs, line, WRs, etc.

In other words, I love his grit and what he has contributed, but it’s time to let Wilson, Rose, and Huard take the reigns at the most important position.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Oh, I agree. I personally don’t want Cam back as a Ute next season. However, I have zero input in the decision. That’s all between Whit, Lud, and Cam. And Whit might feel that he’ll be damned if he’s going to let a healthy Cam go to another school and lead them to glory.

Who knows what will happen? Of course, this whole conversation becomes academic if Isaac balls out the rest of the year. If he trends from mediocre to bad, the situation with Cam could really get interesting.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

symbol police alert:

M is thousands
          MM is millions

3,000 M = 3 MM

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.