Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Not Utah Football

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ute Dub
      Participant

On AZ State’s first TD Lander Barton has the QB in the open field, well behind the LOS and doesn’t break down, over persues, loses contain, and gets beat on both a 3rd down and a 4th down which could have been easy sacks. It’s just not Utah football to get beat twice the same way with unsound tackling fundamentals. I’m not used to it as a Utah fan

Rabbit Evan’s had 9 tackles. What happened to Gilman?

Utah loses the TO margins by -2 and loses the game. Just feel like there’s no identity. The only identity we have is to try and shorten the game because we know we suck.

admiralute
      Participant

You are right, there is no identity. Utah is known to be rough, rugged, and at times physically brutal. Announcers make it a point every game to mention that, however, I don’t recall one game this year where that has been true. Not even against SUU or Utah State. They have looked soft this year. Perhaps it’s time for a new identity. Offenses and defenses have changed over the years as the sport continues to change, so why continue to put your CBs on an island and one on one protection every play. Work in some zone or other variants. You will give up more short passes, but will stop getting beat so badly several times a game. I think that scheme works when you have elite corner/s and safeties that are ball hawks, and pressure on the QB, but when none of that is happening, it’s a recipe of a very inefficient defense. You have to adapt or get left behind, which seems to be occurring. It’s time to reset and become innovative on both offense and defense, like other teams are. Utah is not in a good place when it appears that UNLV would put it to them.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Utah is not in a good place when it appears that UNLV would put it to them.

Funny you should mention that, because I was thinking the same exact thing last night. There are a number of G5 teams that would absolutely feast on this version of Utah football. Boise State and Memphis are other teams that would make Utah look bad at the present.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.