Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Observations on our defense from Saturday night.

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Observations on our defense from Saturday night.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

We started off slowly. USC was running the ball well and the Trojans scored two easy touchdowns. I think that Scalley initially miscalculated some things. However, Scalley made amazing adjustments and USC did not have another TD drive the rest of the game. (They did score an 11-yard TD after the punt return.)

I give Scalley credit for his on-the-field adjustments. Williams could not throw downfield. Their receivers were covered and we stopped their running attack. Williams had a few successful scrambles but they were limited.

We rarely blitzed on Saturday. I am sure Scalley did not want CW to take advantage of this with some quick throws. For the most part, our coverage on the laser screens was excellent.

The long pass that CW completed on the second TD drive was a result of our guys looking to the sidelines to get the play call. USC hiked the ball when we were still looking to the sideline and caught us with our pants down. But, that was the only long pass play of the game for USC. That is by itself amazing.

I give the defense an A for the game. They allowed the potent USC offense 20 points. The other two TDs were a result of pick-6 and a long punt return.

Oregon is a completely different kind of offense and our gameplan will be totally different. Oregon must run the ball to be successful. We will focus first on stopping the run but still need to defend the pass. Oregon will be tough to defend because of their ability to run and pass.

utefansince79
      Participant

After the first 2 drives, the only TD yielded by the defense came after a long punt return set the Trojan offense up just outside the 10 yard line.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Energy to start that game felt so off. Both teams just looked kind of wore out. Utahs defense was not tackling well and was slow at the point of attack. If LR was smart he should have slowed the game down and rushed more. LR can’t depend on his defense getting stops with his fast paced offense.

Whitty
      Participant

Not that I know anything of any worth, but it’s been pretty fascinating to see Scalley improve as a coordinator. I remember games in years past (particularly against USC) when Scalley’s defense was live or die by the blitz. This game was a masterclass by him in adjusting a gameplan to an opponent and executing to near perfection.

On another note, I couldn’t believe how fast Lincoln abandoned the run game in the second half. I know USC was down, but even in the 3rd quarter it felt like Lincoln panicked and began running exclusively passing plays – despite the run game tearing us up the first few drives. I’m sure it can partly be attributed to Scalley’s adjustments too.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

For sure a tactical error on Riley for not running. It was more effective than passing.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.