Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Our over pursuing Lander Backers have held Skattebo to 7.4 YPC.

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Our over pursuing Lander Backers have held Skattebo to 7.4 YPC.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ute Dub
      Participant

Maybe we should cover the middle of the field once in a while.

Xanthis
      Participant

Lander is by far and away the worst of the Barton bros. He shouldn’t be anything but a backup.

TruckStopTerrors
        Participant

@Xanthis, I don’t think that’s fair. We saw absolutely great play from him last season along with the explosive athleticism. At some point, you have to wonder if the foot injury had a huge impact on what he will be or could’ve been. He hasn’t looked the same.

Utecity
      Participant

His effort/technique on the last ASU touchdown run was horrific. Over pursued, then got folded in half by a blocker while Skattebo raced right by him. He is clearly just not his old self this year, unfortunately

BoxerUte
      Participant

Lander was just over 200 lbs in highschool. At least thats what I remember.He looks like he has put on 40 lbs…
      Are strength coaches worried too much about weight and that extra weight is taking away his speed and quickness? I want him to succeed so bad but something has been off this year.

22Ute22
        Participant

Which is funny considering that our DE’s are on average, on the smaller end of P5 teams. But yeah, Lander looks very slow and of course, there is the infamous picture of his neck/traps being ridiculously huge and looking like it’s morphed into a blob. LB’s these days are not the same as they were in Whitt’s days. They need to heavily emphasize speed in order to be able to cover TE’s and occasionally RB’s or even WR’s.

BoxerUte
          Participant

Same thing happened to Maxs Tupai. He was a beast who truly deserved his 4 stars… However strength coaches put so much weight on him and took away everything that made him great.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

If I remember correctly, Tupai got so discouraged that it became a psychological issue and he had to retire. Major college football isn’t for everyone so I’m not blaming the staff but there comes a point where you can’t treat 120+ players the same and get the best results out of each. There just isn’t enough time available in 20 hour weeks to get the outliers up to 100%, no matter the underlying talent.

BoxerUte
              Participant

that may have been the end result and why Maxs left, however by that time the staff had already put so much weight on him.
              He did not have the same speed and quickness that made him so great.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.