Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

Paging OnlyU

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Utesby1
      Participant

I am desperate for updates coming out of spring practice. Can you share some juicy tidbits with us?

juicy tidbits?

Onlyu
        Participant

Just getting going…no banging yet. Tao running at nickel, Vaki at Free and Kump at Center (which I’ve wanted since he’s been here). All very intriguing to me and could turn out really well. Ritchie a little banged up but mostly from getting back in the swing of things and they’re bringing him back slowly.

Rose arm talent is impressive but Nate looking good as well…feel like we are in pretty good shape behind Cam.

Luca and Mikey Matthews in the mix at WR which is a big positive. LB in a good spot. Hall turning some heads early. Fano bros are gonna be very good. Honestly think we might be seriously 12 deep on the o-line. Will be interesting to watch that shake out and see who bounces after the depth chart settles.

Cam is progressing nicely. It’s interesting for me to read or hear thoughts about how Cam won’t be back for game one when everyone including Whit and Cam have publicly stated that he’ll be ready. Just remember the stresses placed on the knee at QB are a lot different than almost every other spot on the field. He doesn’t need the explosiveness or lateral quickness that most positions require so when they say he’ll be ready for game one I’d say believe it.

Xanthis
          Participant

My biggest concern with Cam is if his explosiveness and lateral quickness isn’t there he is much less of a threat. His ability scramble is one of his biggest assets, especially since his WRs sometimes struggle with separation. Kuithe should help in that department, but will his arm strength be there to stretch the field this year. That is something we rarely did last year. 

Onlyu
            Participant

Understood, however I think the o-line and RB experience coming back is going to allow for very good protection (Bernard/Curry are excellent in pass pro) and Cam’s intelligence allows for him to make quick reads. I also think while he will be less explosive (a word I would not use describing Cam), 8+ months is plenty of time to develop sufficient mobility in small spaces. Straight line running to the sideline won’t be an issue. Cam will tell you in 1 on 1 situations he’s going to “run over” the guy in front of him. I suspect that changes some for the first 3-4 games next year and he gets down or out of bounds.

Add in the fact that you have a mismatch nightmare in Kuithe and the ball skills of Vele (and likely Simmons) he will be able to get the ball out very quickly. Combine that with a run game expected to be very good and it’s gonna be tough to get after him.

I think it sets up really well for the things you need to happen for him to be successful as the leg continues to heal…also remember the injury was very clean from a repair standpoint. No extended damage outside of the ligament which is rarely the case.

ProudUte
              Participant

Thanks for the updates.  It’s always good to read your perspectives.

tanute3
          Participant

Really excited for Mikey Matthews!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.