Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Paralysis by Analysis

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Paralysis by Analysis

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      2008 National Champ
      Participant

Another example of coaches outcoaching themselves? from Bernard’s Interview

It also came to light that during this period of not knowing who would start the team would be learning multiple game plans depending on who was at the helm of the offense.

“But now, we ain’t got to worry about that, because we know the game plan fully and what we’re going to execute in that situation. So I think it helped us a lot just building around the guy we got out of quarterback, rather than building two different game plans. So I think that would be one of the biggest things to help us,” Bernard said.

Rather than create one game plan that incorporated the best of what each QB could do with minor tweaks based on who was in, they created two distinct game plans and forced the team to try to master both? Looks to me like that strategic advantage of having to prepare for two QB’s was actually against Utah and not the other team.

Ute-yankee
      Participant

Yeah, it that is true Whitt is an absolute idiot. Way to shoot yourself in the foot. What is the old adage? If you have two quarterbacks you don’t have any?

SalUTEtheU
      Participant

Whittingham seems to be making mistakes that someone of his experience level shouldn’t be. Something seems off. The injury status situation sucked every ounce of energy from this team. He didn’t seem to learn from last year. The multiple game plan situation couldn’t have possibly been good for the team. Letting Rising make the decision on when to play and when to come out of the game is baffling. If I am a competitor and warrior there is no way I pull myself from a game. Failure to recognize Cam wasn’t right in the last game just blows my mind. I love Whittingham but these mistakes are something that a head coach with 20 years of experience doesn’t make. Is it failure to adapt? Is it NIL and pressures related to that? I have no idea, but it is strange to watch.

1 5
        Utah
        Participant

I really think this “Head Coach in Waiting” has really messed some things up and I think we are seeing some warts on Scalley.

I wonder if Whitt has already moved responsibilities from himself to Scalley and that is where some of the problems are coming from. And even if he hasn’t, I wonder if he and Scalley disagree on certain players/schemes/playing time (we already know that Scalley wants a different offense than Whitt) and that has to affect players.

I don’t know what is going on, but there is problems here that don’t happen here.

Part of me wonders if Whitt thought he’d turn the team over to Scalley, they’d roll through the Big 12 with Rising and Whitt would have a shot at a national title, ride off into the sunset and be great. Instead, everything is falling apart all around him.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Wait a second. I’ve seen videos myself where Whitt has said the game plan didn’t change for either quarterback. 

2008 National Champ
        Participant

At this point, I wouldn’t take Whitt’s opinion on scrambled eggs v. sunny side up with any amount of credibility.

Was it before OSU that he said one QB would take all the snaps one day and the other the next? Maybe it was Arizona. Either way, that stood out as weird at the time. If both QB’s are feeding from the same trough, swapping them out would be seamless and it would be just about allocation of reps. But once you alternate days, that lends itself to doing something completely different on Tuesday as opposed to Monday.

Either way, everyone else on the offense was forced to learn two things while the QB’s only had to learn one each. per the article anyway.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.