Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

Planning a trip to SLC and need some information

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Planning a trip to SLC and need some information

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      montanafan37
      Participant

Hey all, hope you’re doing well.

I’m planning a trip to come down to see Iowa State vs Utah this year. With the Brawl of the Wild in Bozeman that week (so no way into that), and with Iowa State coming to SLC that week I figured this trip is a great way to knock a couple things off the bucket list. I didn’t see a planning thread or anything so apologies if I’m doing it wrong.

I’m wondering what your recommendations are for how to plan for this. My buddy and travel partner has already booked a hotel room (he’s gonna ref some hockey games so he can write off the trip lol) but also one of my best friends moved to SLC recently and he’s in the Bonneville Hills neighborhood (?) so I know we at least have a good place to crash.

Additionally, are tickets already on sale? Vividseats or whatever already seems to have some up for y’all or are they just season ticket holders who know they won’t be going and regular single-game tickets go on sale sometime in August? Or have I missed the boat here?

Anything else I should see while in town? We were looking at seeing a hockey game but looks like the NHL schedule has the Utah HC on the road that weekend. I’ve been to Salt Lake once before and thought it was pretty dope. The mall downtown is pretty cool. Went for a hike and so on, all the usual stuff. Any Saturday gameday rituals we should see? I would guess that this game won’t have an noon-ish kickoff, so if that lines up do y’all know of any sports bars or good places that might have the Brawl of the Wild on?

Anyways, looking forward to what should be a great game. This could be a top 15 matchup when toe meets leather with how much both teams are returning/adding. Really excited. Happy to have y’all in the Big XII (for now, I know everyone wants to leave the dang league).

enigami344
      Participant

Hey welcome! I hope you will like SLC! If you aren’t planning to stay at your friends’ place, you can try to look for hotels or airbnb along the trax lines. You can pretty much get from the airport to anywhere around downtown and to the stadium by riding trax.

As for food and things to do in SLC, my personal favorite restaurants are Sawadee (Thai food) and La Cai Noodle house (Vietnam and Chinese). But if you look for more food options and things to do, the Salt Lake City reddit page has a lot of info

https://www.reddit.com/r/SaltLakeCity/

KJU
      Participant

M37, I am on my phone now and hate typing long messages. My kids have all moved out and won’t be joining me at games this year. If you are interested I will sell you up to 4 tickets at cost. DM me for details if interested.

Kellso
      Participant

Welcome. For good beer and good pub food, visit Red Rock, Squatters or Gracie’s downtown. For great burgers and beers visit Proper and Lucky 13 slightly south of downtown. Tailgating starts on game day between 4 – 6 hours prior to game time. Most areas are just Southeast of the stadium. You will be welcome. Food and drinks will be readily available. Enjoy your visit.

montanafan37
        Participant

Alright, saving that recommendation! Thanks!

Yergensen
      Participant

That should be start of ski season. If you’re not a skier/snowboarder you can still get up to Park City for a tour of Olympic Park and ride bobsled track. Hang out in Park City after.

SteelUte
      Participant

It’s a tough part of the year- could be snowy, could still be fall. If you’re coming from Montana you’ll feel right at home. Ski areas most likely won’t be operating yet but those areas are beautiful to see. If it’s still fall, golf, hiking or mountain biking are amazing all over the wasatch front. Restaraunts- based on my preference: Market Street a little pricier but amazing sea food, rio grande or Red Iguana or Santo Tacos for good mexican food. The Pie is average pizza fun college atmosphere. A lot of restaraunts in Sugar House.
      Park City is amazing in the fall and fun to hang, though it may be too late to see leaves etc.
      If you show up to the game friendly you’ll be treated friendly. We’re a welcoming bunch (except on November 9th).

beaslad
        Participant

I don’t know when you went to Market Street last but the last time we went there (and will be the last) the calamari was basically pencil erasers, the lobster was the size of a jimmy dean sausage and the steak was so over cooked it was gray. They comped the entire meal and gave us some dried out cake for dessert to take home. Easily one of the worst meals of mine and my husband’s lives. For seafood, you cannot beat Harbor and even though it isn’t as good as it used to be, Current is still miles ahead of Market Street.

MDUte
          Participant

Market Street has never been the same since it changed hands from the original owners. It’s a shell of its former self which sucks because it used to be so good.

montanafan37
        Participant

Thanks for the response! Yeah, Utah is awesome, especially cause I don’t like leaving the mountains much, so when I found out one of my favorite teams was playing here I want to be on that like white on rice. Depending on how much time I have golf might be the move, but are there any good/cheap/public courses or hiking trails you’ve liked? Understand if the really good stuff has to stay secret but just don’t want to waste money.

UteManX
      Participant

Welcome. All of the above from everyone is great. Hopefully we don’t have the game at noon, but after last season where every game was a day game, you just never know. However, I’m also a Griz fan. I lived in Missoula for a few years and always enjoy visiting (wouldn’t mind moving back). The local group of Griz fans watch the games at Gracie’s in downtown. Last year for the national title game it was a massive crowd, so you’ll enjoy it.

Last year we ran into a huge amount of Iowa state fans at fisher brewing before they went to the game in Provostan. I believe many said they would be back There before playing the Utes.

Before the Utes game, on game day, be sure to tailgate in the main lot and pop into all the smaller ones. You’ll get drinks and fed. It’s a fun time.

Have a great time out here.

montanafan37
        Participant

That’s some of the good stuff there! Thanks!

J Rocksville
      Participant

Near fisher you have Tf brewing, kiitos brewing , and my personal favorite Bewilder Brewing all with good beer. Bewilder has great food as well. You can do a mini pub crawl right there before or after the game.

Tailgating is fun, weather will be unpredictable… Could golf, could sled. Who knows.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

You’re welcome to stop by my tailgate and say hello! Row H #69 by the police station.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.