Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Please let me know if this was nothing

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Please let me know if this was nothing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      3 1
      ALUF
      Participant

On Utahs last score against OSU, Kuithe literally walks into the end zone (baddest thing I’ve seen Utah do in a while, actually Taos hit in the usu game was awesome). Afterwards we see all the OSU fans on tv dejected, sad, and on the verge of heat exhaustion. We go for two and don’t convert. We then see one of our players, can’t remember who, jabbing with the OSU fans along with a few of our other players. One of our guys flips off a fan (literally laughed out loud when it happened, super funny). At this point I was like Utah has this all wrapped up! As we all know OSU brings it back within 3 starting on the drive right after all this off a great kick return by them.
      My point in saying all this is, did our team get to high in the head after getting up 19 or whatever it was? Did we just go mentally and physically soft on OSU? I get that players on the road CONSTANTLY go back and forth with the home fans (unless you’re at byu-p apparently where they encourage you?? Look up the Avery Johnson calling byu game environment weird). I mean I remember the one and only time ever being right behind an opposing teams bench was when I was actually at a usu game vs Nevada when I was 11. I was invited to the game and took it upon myself to berate nevadas qb who was funny enough, Colin kaepernick. I called him lil bitch and flipped him off and called him all sorts of stuff all to the point where he was jawing back to me an 11 year old lol. Especially when they got up and won! Sorry for the side story as it reminded me of my youthful follies! but just wondering if we should be concerned or not for our teams mental ability to be the front runner in this league all season or when we get up in any given game. Especially on the road.

Utecity
      Participant

Felt to me like it was more a product of the prevent defense we started playing that allowed OSUs QB to finally start making some throws

ALUF
        Participant

That makes sense, hate prevent defense but I’m also not a coach

14 1
        chinngiskhaan
        Participant

The prevent wasn’t the problem. The mistakes made while playing prevent were the problem.

Tony (admin)
          Keymaster

It seems that when our defense does anything different than what they normally do, they don’t do it well.

Dallas
        Participant

OSU’s good receiver Presley said explicitly that our secondary started backing off which is why they started gaining some pass yards. Totally a prevent D nightmare.

HoosierUte
          Participant

coupled with a predictable run only offense that couldn’t get a first down.

2 1
            Utegator
            Participant

Yep, we do this in a lot of games and its annoying. Prevent defense with predictable prevent offense. Run down the middle 3x, punt. Then give the other teams offense more possessions in our prevent defense which tends to give up points.

krindor
        Participant

Being there and watching our safety lined up 30 yards off the line of scrimmage…yeah, it was frustrating how much space we were giving them.

And then the offense just literally running the ball up the middle three times and then punting on each offensive series.

That said….if the plan was to run clock and not turn the ball over (see what we did on offense) and to prevent any massive plays (even while giving up repeated solid gains), knowing that there wasn’t enough time for Oklahoma St to get the win in that scenario? It played out exactly like that. Yeah it was closer than I’d like, but even with the final score what it was (and converting BOTH 2 point conversions), they never really got that close or had the ball with an opportunity to win.

If we’d thrown an ugly interception, let up an 80 yard TD run/pass, or even failed to run clock with a 3 and out on passing plays, then that result could have been different. Which is probably exactly why the coaching staff went into the offense/defense that they did. It’s ugly and doesn’t feel good…but if the goal is to win (rather than to win emphatically), it did the job.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.