Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Possible future Utah OC?

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Possible future Utah OC?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      UTE98
      Participant

Watching the Kansas-UNLV game.

What are your thoughts on Jeff Grimes as our next OC when Whit/Lud retire.

Current position
      Title Assistant head coach/Offensive coordinator
      Team Kansas Jayhawks
      Conference Big 12
      Biographical details
      Born September 23, 1968 (age 55)
      Garland, Texas, U.S.
      Playing career
      1987–1990 UTEP
      Position(s) Offensive tackle
      Coaching career (HC unless noted)
      1995 Rice (GA)
      1996–1997 Texas A&M (GA)
      1998–1999 Hardin–Simmons (OL)
      2000 Boise State (OL)
      2001–2003 Arizona State (OL/RGC)
      2004–2006 BYU (OL)
      2007–2008 Colorado (AHC/OL/RGC)
      2009–2012 Auburn (OL)
      2013 Virginia Tech (OL)
      2014–2017 LSU (OL/RGC)
      2018–2020 BYU (OC)
      2021–2023 Baylor (OC/TE)
      2024–present Kansas (AHC/OC)

Worked under Koetter, Beamer, Chizik, Hawkins, RC Slocum, Helfrich, Miles

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Not a terrible choice, but wouldn’t be option #1 IMO. I’m honestly excited to see Scalley take over after Whitt and Ludwig move on. I am interested to see who he picks for OC/DC and the rest of the staff.

I would be fine with Harding as OC. He is arguably our highest performing recruiter right now, and he knows the offense. I would also be fine with someone completely out of left field.

Distantute
        Participant

Unlv’s oc would be a good hire.

RoboUte
        Participant

Our LB coach will probably be the DC

Uteanooga
          Participant

I’ll be shocked if it is not Shah. He is charismatic, played at Utah, great recruiter, has two degrees from Utah (undergrad and Law), has more knowledge than anyone else on the staff regarding Utah’s defensive schemes and strategies, and has been very loyal.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

has Shah ever expressed interest in the DC job? Everything I’ve seen over the years is that he is happy just coaching the corners and wasn’t looking to get stepped up.

Uteanooga
              Participant

Do any of the coaches express public interest in replacing their bosses? I don’t remember ever seeing a coordinator-in-waiting announcement.

But I have no idea about Shah’s aspirations or intentions.

2008 National Champ
                Participant

publicly stated, no. The few times I’ve heard Shah mentioned or he’s been asked directly, he’s said that he was happy with his current role.

I was wondering if people had been hearing otherwise and I had missed it.

Tony (admin)
              Keymaster

Not really. He just likes coaching DBs.

2 1
      2008 National Champ
      Participant

As an OC (not including 2020 for obvious reasons):

2018 – 27.23 ppg (79th), 364.9 ypg (101st)
      2019 – 28.46 ppg (67th), 444.8 ypg (27th)
      2021 – 31.64 ppg (40th), 422.9 ypg (53rd)
      2022 – 32.15 ppg (39th), 413.8 ypg (45th)
      2023 – 23.08 ppg (101st), 377.8 ypg (73rd)

I’ll admit to only watching Grimes’s offenses in games against Utah. From that small sample, he appears to run an offense fairly similar to Ludwig. Single back, multiple tight end, only performs at it’s peak with a QB who can bail the team out with his legs.

Caliman
      Participant

That’s a …HELL NO! For me, the fact that He hasn’t been the OC at any college for more than 3 years, and couched at BYU is a huge red flag. How terrible of an OC is he, if even BYU doesn’t want him.

NarfUte
        Participant

I’m with Caliman on this one. Hell no on Grimes.

RoboUte
      Participant

Hell no on grimes

Zigziggler
      Participant

Obviously several factors come into play here. Relationships of Scalley, offensive philosophy, availability etc. A couple names that come to mind:
      Jake Spavital- pass heavy
      Tim Cramsey- Balance
      Beau Baldwin- pass heavy
      Ben Arbuckle- pass heavy
      Zak Hill- balance

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Spavital – We’ve seen his offense last week and last year with Cal. At Cal under Sonny Dykes and West Virginia under Holgerson he ran wide open, pass heavy offenses. Under Wilcox and Aranda, I haven’t been impressed so perhaps it’s more about what the Head Coach wants than his specific influence. He did coach Manziel and Kyler Murray so it’s been a mixed bag with him over the years.

Baldwin – Couldn’t get anything going in 3 years at Cal or last year at ASU. Now coaching in Canada.

Hill – Tried to put a square peg into a round hole with Jayden Daniels at ASU running the Chris Petersen style offense from Boise. Lots of formation shifts and horizontal screens: works great for a game manager QB but can be stifling for a truly talented QB

Arbuckle – very young but didn’t screw up the offense he inherited at Western Kentucky and then brought to WSU. Not sure if his offense needs a Cam Ward or Bailey Zappe type for max effectiveness. He’s dealing with a run first QB this year in Mateer so we’ll see if his offense works for anyone.

Cramsey – I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game he’s coached

Zigziggler
          Participant

Baldwin isn’t my favorite, but to give him a little credit, Chase Garbers was great at Cal, John Kitna was great at Central (but was great before Baldwin was there coaching), at EW he coached Matt Nichols, BL Mitchell, Vernon Adams, AZ State was a dumpster last year. I think he has a pretty good track record as an assistant and developing QB’s.
          Zak Hill- is a Beau Baldwin disciple. He really didn’t have the time to implement anything at AZ State mainly because he was in the midst of Herm Edwards mess. Arbuckle is very similar to Baldwin. I really like him, and think he is an up and comer that does a lot with little. Great developer of QB’s. Cramsey is a Chip Kelly protege. He is creative and has coached all over developing connections all over for QB recruiting.

22Ute22
      Participant

We need to hire a great, experienced OC when Scalley takes over. He has absolutely zero HC experience and the last thing we need to do is hamper him with an inexperienced OC.

Uteanooga
      Participant

Call me crazy but Ludwig seems the obvious answer. Convince him to stick around for a few years to facilitate the transition. He is only 60.

Extra Medium
      Participant

Are you serious right now? Hell no on Grimes. Why better options out there.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

Grimes was good at byu during covid. He’s been bad at Baylor and now Kansas. We don’t want him

GreatNorthernUte
      Participant

Scalley ideally can find someone from outside the program and the state. All of the programs in the state of Utah have produced absolutely nothing in terms of good P4 offensive coordinator talent. Ludwig is the exception. Once he is gone, there is nothing left.

Utah
      Participant

Scalley wants to go back to the Urban Spread.

So I wouldn’t be shocked if he hires a coach from Urban’s coaching tree.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.