Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Predicting The Rest of The Season

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Predicting The Rest of The Season

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Tyler Henry
      Participant

I am not surprised at where Utah is right now in terms of their record. The mayhem of a new conference is getting to Utah. Nonetheless, I see us going 4-2 for the remaining six games.

Utah vs TCU|W
      Utah at Houston|W (could be a trap game)
      Utah vs BYU|W (Utah will not lose to BYU at home, let’s be real.)
      Utah at Colorado|L (Utah cannot go score for score with Colorado.)
      Utah vs Iowa State|L (Iowa State is in my opinion the best team in the Big 12, they are physical!)
      Utah at UCF|W (could be a tossup, but Utah should win)

While this record will not give us a NY6 bowl game invite, we would be able to contend in a decent bowl game. If we win that bowl game, this season would be acceptable in my eyes.

1 1
      Utesbyfive
      Participant

We could easily lose those last four games.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Any team that has a decent offense scares me at this point since I fear our offense can’t score enough points. TCU, CO, TSPP, Iowa state or UCF could outscore us easily.

1 1
      Rick Walker
      Participant

I’m not picking Utah to win anymore games this season until they prove me otherwise. As far as I’m concerned every game is a loss until it’s actually won.

8 1
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

Unless the offense gets its head out of its collective ass, Utah might not win another game the rest of the season. Just look at each team they play…there’s no team left in its schedule that has a worse QB situation than Utah. That needs to get resolved yesterday.

And this comment: Utah will not lose to BYU at home, let’s be real. Brother, you’d better take off those red goggles. Did you or did you not see BYU dismantle Zona yesterday? You know, the same Zona that walked into RES a couple of weekends ago and walked all over Utah.

Utah#1
      Participant

Post: “Utah vs BYU|W (Utah will not lose to BYU at home, let’s be real.)”

I like your confidence would LOVE for this to happen! I hope the team will be p**sed off angry for this game and takes it all out on the TDS giving them what could be their only 1 or 2 losses of the season, but if Utah continues playing like they have, TDS wins this game probably by 2+ TDs.

2 1
      RUUTES
      Participant

3-3

I see us winning TCU, Houston and probably CO

I have seen no reason this year to be optimistic about the other three games. Sadly.

And the emotional energy of playing BYU anywhere seems to have fizzled out for us over the last few years…being in a different conference, having the series interrupted, not even wanting to play them and now so many transfers who have no roots here…

I think the frame of reference for this team is missing. And if we win 3 and end up with 7 wins on the season I’ll be….well not happy but feel like that was probably about what we could do. If we lose more then I’ll be disappointed and if we win more I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

I predicted that the Utes, with a healthy Rising, would go 9-3. Obviously, we don’t have a healthy Rising and probably never will so a 7-5 season is more likely. If that’s the case, Utah will be shuttled off to a lower-profile bowl that most fans will have little enthusiasm to go to.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

I also said 9-3 but thought the issue would be all of the new faces and places that were going to have to be dealt with. Instead, it’s been the teams Utah should be most familiar with that have been the problem.

Finishing 3-3 would represent an epic coaching failure. Roughly the same team went 8-4 last year against a tougher schedule and with worse QB’s. I love that Bryson Barnes stepped up last year and did what he could to lead the team. Wilson should be able to provide no worse.

So if people are saying that 7-5 in now an acceptable outcome, then there should be staff members coaching to save their jobs in any healthy organization. When expectations and reality are so far apart 2 years in a row with such a long-tenured staff, you’ve passed the point of return. And no, a victory on Nov. 9 won’t be enough to hide the putrid rot

The Miami Ute
            Participant

Yeah, obviously finishing 7-5 would be a massive step back, given the expectations, and you’d expect heads to roll at that point. But, this being Utah, I don’t think that’ll happen. If Whitt stays on, I’d expect to see little to no change in the composition of the coaching staff given his sense of loyalty to “his guys.”

2008 National Champ
              Participant

I know i talk about UW more than people like but that’s what I grew up with so it makes for easy analogies.

In 1984, UW had what should have been universally recognized as a National championship season (apparently the trophy got lost on the way to Montlake. Maybe someone knows where it’s being kept and can return it to it’s rightful owner) but underperformed the next couple of years. Don James, the long tenured coach was given an ultimatum. Change the way you do business or start punching up your resume.

That produced a 3 year run from 1990-1992 in which they were legitimate contenders for 3 NC’s and split one. The seeds for that run were planted with the 1988 class and progress was easily measured as they worked their way back to the top.

What we are witnessing right now is the 1985-1987 years of UW football where expectations, based on past success, were not met but changes were not made because of familiarity and that same past success.

RoboUte
                Participant

“Change the way you do business or start punching up your resume.”

I wish our fanbase and people within the program had the courage to do the right thing.

Matt
                Participant

Washington was invited to the Holiday Bowl I. 84 and refused. They beat Byu they would have been #1, but they chose money in the Orange Bowl and a blue blood opponent in oklahoma. Byu could have very well beat Washington, and in fact spanked them 31-3 in the 3rd game of 85 season.

RoboUte
                  Participant

Sounds interesting I suppose. what do you mean?

2008 National Champ
                  Participant

That’s a nice story that parochial school fans tell themselves. Oklahoma wins the Orange Bowl against Washington or the next best available opponent and the winner of a hypothetical parochial school/UW Holiday Bowl doesn’t matter. Yet the same pollsters who would have been willing to move #2 to #1 couldn’t bring themselves to move #4 to #1 after beating the superior opponent. It’s almost like pollsters are unwilling to admit that their previous opinions didn’t matter more than what happened on the field.

I do think it’s cute when parochial school fan claims that being the only undefeated or untied team in a season is worthy of some sort of trinket or bauble but then claims that Utah’s 2008 season shouldn’t be viewed with the same prism.

Matt
                    Participant

You guys lucked out 3 times in 2008. Your 2004 team was the best in the nation.

2008 National Champ
                      Participant

scoring more points than your opponent = lucked out?

No one in their right mind puts 2004 Utah in a one-off championship game over undefeateds USC, Oklahoma and Auburn. I wish the team had gotten a stronger opponent than #19 Pitt but short of an 8 team playoff, Utah wasn’t getting a chance to play for the title. I’m fine with that even though I think Utah would have represented themselves well if given the chance.

UteThunder
                      Participant

And how many times did BYU luck out in 1984? There’s at least a couple of games they were lucky to get out of with a W.

GameForAnyFuss
      Participant

Sports are essentially impossible to predict. Especially football because injuries are so frequent. There’s a reason why companies that make money off gambling flock to sports – the high statistical variance in sports favors those companies making money.

Attempting to apply any type of rational predictive scheme to football is a fool’s errand.

UteThunder
      Participant

If Friday’s team is who we are moving forward . . .

vs TCU – Toss-up
      @ Houston – Toss-up
      vs BYU – Loss
      @ Colorado – Loss
      vs Iowa State – Loss
      @ UCF – Toss-up

RoboUte
      Participant

Utah vs TCU: Loss
      Utah at Housto: Win
      Utah vs BYU: Loss
      Utah at Colorado: Win
      Utah vs Iowa State: Loss
      Utah at UCF: Win

So I’ve got us at 7 wins. 6 wins is also very likely because Colorado is probably a tossup. 8 Wins is near impossible.

DataUte
      Participant

No more NY6. All of them are QF or SF of playoffs. It’s CFP or lesser bowls. Former PAC12 teams will go to same bowls for 2 years (eg. Alamo, Holiday)

The Miami Ute
        Participant

All I can say is that I’ll never go to any bowl that’s located east of Utah. The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.