Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

QB2?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Nate
      Participant

Has it been announced if Rose or Huard is QB2?

Herk
      Participant

Rose

UteThunder
      Participant

It’s Rose. Whit confirmed in his presser today.

RUUTES
      Participant

I’m really curious why Huard basically gets no mention. Given how highly touted both he and Rose were coming into the year they both seem to have dropped off a huge amount with Rose seemingly ignored as a tool at QB3 and Huard not even brought up by the coaches as far as I understand. Is there an issue there? It can’t be the playbook…every QB transferring around seems to be able to step in around the country except on our team. Anyone seen Huard practice or anything lately able to shine a light on why he’s underperforming or not considered at this point?

Utah
        Participant

There has to be a turnover issue or work ethic issue or can’t master the playbook issue.

You watch Huard throw the ball and it is just beautiful. It’s sexy. It’s special. He’s a five star for a reason. He can just throw it better than everyone else.

So it’s not talent. But he has been at three schools now, given every opportunity to succeed at three schools now and hasn’t done it. So, who knows.

But you can’t deny his arm talent.

How I’d rank the QB’s arms: God tier: Huard. Pro level: Wilson. College level: Rose/Rising, with Rising on the weaker end of a college QB.

Rising had “it”. But we have some really talented arms in that QB room.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

Huard came in this year knowing he was going to play since Cam was coming back. Obviously, things have changed, and Wilson has the inside track for QB1 next year.

DataUte
        Participant

Huard has said he is the best practice squad qb in the nation (a little in jest) – he knows his role and I hope he gets a chance.

From what I hear, they (Rose and Huard, but especially Huard) are not as good as Wilson at identifying defenses based on pre-snap reads, and dealing with pressure in live situations. These things are also why Rising was thought to be a good option in spite of his injury status. Obviously, Huard can throw a great ball, but if he can’t understand what the defense is doing and take advantage of it, he’ll get sacked and throw turnovers (or fail to check out of disastrous plays/match-ups).

RUUTES
      Participant

is the Utah Offensive Playbook that difficult? Honest question cuz aside from boneheaded play calls that achieve nothing I haven’t seen it since 2002?

2008 National Champ
        Participant

The playbook isn’t. There aren’t any plays in there that aren’t in every other OC’s playbook. It always comes down to the plays called and more importantly, the sequencing.

My premise has always been that the Whitt/Ludwig way of doing things (because don’t for an instant think that Whitt doesn’t have influence on the overall vision) is try to straddle the line between lowest risk while still trying to maintain maximum impact. Whitt would rather have a 7 minute drive that moves 30 yards and ends up in a made 50 yard field goal than risk two 3 and outs with a quick strike TD in the same amount of game time. And as the boss commandeth, so shall the OC deliver. He’ll call low risk plays that are designed to get half the distance necessary and depend on his playmakers to beat the other guy in a phone booth.

That thinking puts a premium on not turning the ball over. And when you continually beat into your QB’s heads that TO’s are unacceptable, not undesired but unacceptable to the point that you will get pulled from the game, you make your QB’s afraid of making a mistake. That’s why the playbook is hard. Because you’re constantly trying to figure out how to get 8 yards on 3rd down but only allowed to throw a 5 yard route. And as a QB, you have to be constantly wondering why when you see your opponent able to convert 3rd and 11’s with multiple receivers open against your own top 20 defense.

Utah
          Participant

What!?! We are on the same page on two ideas!?! What’s happening?

I agree 100%. This is 100% Whitt not allowing any OC to do anything that puts his defense at risk. We never throw to WR’s outside of the hashmarks. It’s not because we can’t recruit WR’s. We have a WR on every team that ends up in the NFL and making plays in the NFL.

It’s because Whitt would much rather throw to TE’s because they are easy throws with a high chance of success and low chance of TO’s.

Our offensive issues have many to blame, but Whitt is 95% of our problems. I love the guy, want him to stay longer, but I also realize he will never be Saban or Carroll because he will never let his offense let loose.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

yeppers. I just need to get you to come around on the true benefit of unbridled capitalism and my work will be done. It’s a shame it took the last 3 weeks of Utah football to get us to this point. hee-hee

Jim Vanderhoof
          Participant

Good points Champ. Also I see shifts by the TEs but not a lot of motion by the WRs to get a clean break off the line and some separation.Few 3-4 wr sets. Where is Alford, McCain , King and who is playing in the slot?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.