Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

Question: Would Jay Hill take the USU job?

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Question: Would Jay Hill take the USU job?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      MDUte
      Participant

I believe some of you on here are more familiar with Jay Hill than I am. Just curious for any “in the know” if you think Jay Hill would leave TDS for the USU job?

ProudUte
      Participant

He is making good money at BYU. USU is a dumpster fire right now and have serious issues with the portal and keeping players.

I think Jay Hill may have taken the job a few years ago, but today is a much different story. I would be shocked if he would consider it.

Also, I think Kalani is on the hot seat, and Jay Hill be be the next man up in Provo.

Utah
        Participant

Unless BYU is going to spend big in NIL, USU is a better job than BYU.

AlohaUte
          Participant

If what they ate doing in basketball translate to football, then BYU will definitely spend in nil for football. The question is does the board of trustees and Ryan Smith think it’s worth all that for football and their 85 players or do they want byu to be a basketball school and pay more for their 12-16 players?

Matt
          Participant

Even if no NIL, a MW job is never better than a Big 12 job. Jay can succeed at BYU. He’s a much better coach than Kalani.

3 4
      Utah
      Participant

I don’t know. Hill’s goal was 100% to take over for Whitt when he retired. That’s why he left Utah. He wanted to show he could be a HC, which he did. The problem is, sometimes you prefer the guy who is there and Scalley got the job.

I think if Hill were to do his life over again, when Pease retired and Whitt called him at Weber St and offered him the DC job, he would have taken it.

I think I might consider it if I’m him for a few reasons:

1 – BYU is a dumpster fire. They will not go bowling this year and might not get to 3 wins. I know everyone thinks he will take over for Kalani, but why would he? Unless BYU decides to throw some of the hundreds of billions they’ve accumulated…you can’t succeed there. And there is a good chance BYU is left behind again in 2030.

2 – USU is actually a good job to find a better job. If you succeed there, you will get a P5 job offer. So many great coaches have gone through that school…ok, maybe not great, but so many P5 coaches used USU as a stepping stone to another job. And Hill would kill it there. Within 3-5 years he would be winning 10+ games a year there.

3 – Even if he doesn’t want to leave Utah, he could win the MWC most years there and have a lot of success and become USU’s Kyle Whittingham. Be there for 20+ years, give them a ton of success and then retire with a statue.

Honestly, if I’m him, I really, really, really consider it.

He could win 6 games this year and be around 9-10 next year. USU is ripe for success.

BYU isn’t. Unless BYU is willing to spend some of that tithing money on football like they have with basketball. Then BYU could turn it around quick as long as they look the other way with the HC. But the HC is why I wouldn’t touch the BYU job with a ten foot pole. It’s not a big deal until it is, then you get destroyed by their self righteousness.

1 1
        Central Coast Ute
        Participant

If he really thought it was that bad in Provo, he wouldn’t have left WSU for the DC job down there. He believes he can turn it around or at least make it a respectable program.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

I think he’d be a good fit for Utah St. Plus, if he’d be willing to take the HC job at Weber St, why would he turn his nose up at the Utah St job?

Utah St HC > ybu-p DC

Zigziggler
      Participant

I don’t think Jay Hill would. BYU head coaching job feels as though it might come open in a year or two. He would be top pick. However a person that was considered after Gary Anderson left Utah State was Ed Lamb. He brought SOME respectability back to SUU and then did a good job at BYU. He has a lot of connections within the state and is used to working in small markets. Northern Colorado is never going to go anywhere, but a chance to lead the Aggies might go somewhere for Lamb!

UteThunder
      Participant

Prior to the Scalley “Head Coach in Waiting” announcement, I think Hill would have declined a USU offer hoping for a Utah offer when Whittingham retires. Now that he knows a Utah job offer is off the table, I think Hill would take the USU job if offered.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.