ESPN

Quote from KW

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Quote from KW

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

“Ideally, we would like to kick every kickoff out of the endzone.”

It appears that most teams are much more successful at this than we are.  Why?  We need to find a guy who can kick it long.  I am not concerned about accuracy.  Just use him on kickoffs.  There has to be some Utah high school football or soccer player that can kick it 70 yards consistently.

I just don’t get why we have this problem.  It is killing us because our kickoff coverage is terrible and every team in the conference knows this.

Whitty
      Participant

Proud, anything else interesting from Whitt today? You do a fantastic job of summarizing various pressers/interviews – thanks for doing those!

Tednab
        Participant

Love whit .. but you get paid 6 million a year to figure it out

Charlie
      Participant

I don’t know about the college level, however at the HS level you can ask everyone on the team to try kicking long. Often, someone you would not expect will be the long kicker. I would expect with 85 scholarships someone can kick to the end zone. Just not accurate enough to be a place kicker. If not, I would think there is a soccer player in the student body that would get off on doing the help. At the HS level, defiantly do not limit the candidates to just the place kickers. I would think with NIL you could make it worth someone’s time even without a scholarship. Have an intern sort it out because it is frustrating to watch.

SalUteopia
      Participant

It is mind boggling that we’ve been plagued with this problem for this long. I watch a lot of college football, and rarely if ever, the kickoff is not out of the endzone.

1 1
        Trailgoat
        Participant

Funny how KW sounds off in the presser like it’s someting new flipping back at the media as if he is dumbfounded by asking if there’s someone out there with elgibility who can kick it out of the endzone. His comments about NIL were interesting. A bit hypocritical the amount he and other coaches are paid to coach kids playing football. 

RustyShackleford
          Participant

Not hypocritical at all, did he say he didn’t think kids should be able to get payed? He is talking about how the current NIL is set up with basically no rules and no one enforcing anything. NIL was never supposed to be pay for play. USC basically organized a deal for a player before the were even in the transfer portal.

Larry B
      Participant

I feel like it would be better for us to kick it out of bounds each time. At least kicking it out of bounds eliminates the possibility of a long return.

MauchDawgUte
        Participant

I told my friends on Saturday we just on-sides kick every time. Starting position would be the same if we didn’t get it and we have a chance at another offensive possession.

SalUteopia
          Participant

My thoughts exactly, MauchDawg!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.