Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Random musings an hour after the game.

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Random musings an hour after the game.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      UTE98
      Participant

First the Stanford loss IMO was the straw that broke the camel’s back regarding the playoffs. Once Stanford lost no matter what they did or Utah did was going to get either of us in the playoffs. But our loss pretty much guaranteed no PAC12 team gets the CFB or possibly even a second NY6 bowl.

I find it very odd that the Pac12s three ranked teams all lost today, and it will be seen as a sign of weakness in the conference.

Yet Baylor and LSU lost and all anyone will say it those are tough conferences. Baylor lost to a ranked undefeated team, but let’s be honest the Big XII is sexy because they score lots of points. That doesn’t mean they are better than the Pac12 teams. And honestly Oklahoma lost to Texas, that’s a very bad loss. Texas is 4-6 (3-4), there are 4 teams with losing records in the BigXII. Only 3 in the Pac12 and we’ve got two more teams.

The worst part about tonight is now we are no longer in the driver’s seat. USC has not looked good since they played us, but they’ve won. They still have Oregon and UCLA. We have UCLA and Colorado. A win next week is crucial. Then we have to hope USC stumbles in one of their two remaining games.

Stanford will not lose their last conference game to Cal. But they may lose to ND. So there is a good chance a 9-3 Stanford team plays either Utah at 10-2 or USC/UCLA at 9-3, there is also an outside chance Utah at 9-3 gets the nod, but it would mean we lose to Colorado, and USC loses out. Less than a 5% chance that happens.

So far it has been a good year, but having such a good season makes the losses that much more painful. Though still it has been a good year.

I just hope we get to the Pac12 championship, if USC goes our bowl game prestige falls dramatically unless Stanford loses the Pac12 championship and we might get the second best bowl.

Sad we lost but happy with out season.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

It sucks we don’t control our path now and have to hope for a USC loss. As good as Oregon is playing right now, I could see USC losing. The game is AT Oregon.

We still have to take care of business and as we know very well, any Pac-12 team can beat any other on any given day. There are no guarantees.

89ute
      Participant

The thought of getting to the college playoff is absurd in my mind. Even before our loss last night. Winning the south and getting to the championship game is probably the ceiling for this team. We do not have the depth to contend for a championship. Depth on offense is in okay shape but that is our weakest unit. Defense is where we win and just off the top of my head we are down Dimick, Mokofisi, Porter, Hansen and Godfry. Plus, Carter does not seem right.

We were getting killed on the edge early in the game with the option. Fanika or Norris would take the QB and there was NO ONE on the pitch man. Boom-10-15 yards before the backside pursuit would make the play.

Depth at linebacker is non-existent. No one to spell Norris and Paul, plus, Norris has not looked the same since coming back from his injury.

Getting through this game, plus two more, plus a Pac-12 championship is pretty sketchy. Going two games beyond that is crazy thinking. That’s six games. Another half season of incredibly tough football.

This is where your depth needs to extend to your threes and fours. We’re already there with our tight ends. There will be more injuries before the end of the season. There may be some after yesterday. I don’t know, I’ve been hiding in my bed restoring my strength to face the world. I don’t know what the injury situation is after last nights game.

Arizona came out and played well. Tony, I agree with you, I don’t know what we were thinking offensively in OT. Arizona’s offense was broken when Soloman went down. The game was ours for the taking. Booker’s fumble hurt, I believe that was going to be a game winning drive.

When the game went into OT I was 100% confident we would win. They had no offense and we could still move the ball against them. I was excited, looking forward to getting out with a win and being the top dog in the Pac. Damn.

All is not lost. The next two weeks are going to be wild in the Pac-12. Nationally too.

Beat UCLA.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Can’t understand all of the injuries this season. 2008 Utah was very lucky with no talent going down. Next man up means more reps and it has shown how the defense has declined.

Utah had the win right in front of them.

Onlyu
      Participant

This team is clearly banged up…both linebackers – Paul and Norris aren’t right, Carter’s not right, I’m sure many others at this point of the season too. A step slow right now but they battle and I love their effort. Without Dimmick we don’t get to the QB very often (maybe even with Dimmick it’s the same). Very deep D-line but not great at containing the QB or getting off blocks inside and being quick enough to close down an escape lane. A little bit of a trade off…stout against the run, big and physical but not agile enough to grab a quick QB when the pocket breaks down. This is our biggest challenge this year in my opinion.

We play so much man on the outside we have problems against a spread offense when our ends go over top (too deep) on the rush, QB steps into a lane and has a choice to run or throw approaching 4 seconds after the snap. Tough to stay with a PAC12 wideout for that long. We don’t have a Nate Orchard type this year…he was agile and quick enough to adjust to a mobile QB stepping up and under and wouldn’t let him escape.

Offensively, I hope Booker looking a step slow and tired is related to the knee and not him wearing down with all of the hits he’s taken this year. 2nd and 7 at the 8 in OT and we call a pass play? Booker gets 2 minimum there and at worst its 3rd and 5 in 2 down territory. A sack and a loss of 8 kills us. Bad call there. Our wideouts are problem #2, young and inexperienced or not able to create much separation (Smith’s drop was huge) and Wilson obviously isn’t a great thrower, adequate most times but combine those two things in a 3rd and long and we lose that play more often than not.

Last night was a bummer, we had taken control and Bookers fumble after their mistake gave them new life…it happens but that moment was huge. Could have buried them on that drive. That said 8-2 with two winnable home games ahead, USC having to go to a resurgent Oregon and finish with a rivalry game against UCLA keeps us right there for the South. Teams that pressure Rosen beat him, those who don’t really struggle…have to make him uncomfortable.

Winning the South is and always was the goal. Hope we can get some guys healthy this week, play better and finish strong!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.