Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Redshirt games and postseason

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Redshirt games and postseason

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      High Uintas
      Participant

Confirmation that players can play in conference championships, bowl games and playoff games without burning their redshirts.

ProudUte
      Participant

Smart thing to do because December is portal month and many teams including the Utes have lost a lot of players in December. You need the freshman to play.

If we make the playoffs this season, it will be interesting to see if we have kids leave for the portal before the playoff game.

CityCreekUte
      Participant

Wow for a playoff team that is a really significant amount of time.

Bowl

Conference Championship
      Playoff round 5-12
      Qtrfinal
      Semifinal
      Final

Someone in a championship team will have 4 (or 5) extra games compared to a team just going to a bowl game. Even making the playoff since it probably involves being in a conference championship is 2 games extra. Probably the kind of thing that helps keep talent from the transfer portal.

One thing I am wondering about is how does this affect medical/hardship redshirts. They continue keep those decisions behind closed doors, like they are naming a new pope or something.

Utah
      Participant

This is really interesting. I think the strategy before this rule was get your young guys in the games early. Use their 3 games in OOC that don’t matter, when you are up big. Now…this can be huge for depth.

I still think you play someone who could contribute vs SUU. But then, you probably save them for later in the year. If you could have a backup freshman come in the last 3 games, play in the conference championship game and the playoffs.

If you are smart, this could be huge for depth in a program.

Charlie
        Participant

I makes a big difference when filling in for a starter missing a game. Imagine a player that is redshirting and moving quickly in development, we have had several, then at the end of the year they have surpassed the backup but still wants to preserve the redshirt. The end of year actual depth chart often is not the same as the published chart or the early season chart.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.