Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Resetting expectations: Can we get to bowl eligible

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Resetting expectations: Can we get to bowl eligible

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      MFury
      Participant

All the sudden TCU and Houston look like must win games….no gimme games.

the title hurts a bit, but after Houston hard it like a tough 4 weeks, unless we see some material change (play calling, QB, defensive contain/tackling)

prestitute
      Participant

Yes, and I think we will and will get better, but this year feels a lot like ’07 where things just don’t line up right. I think if we don’t lose the team, we rally and win 4-5 more games, but we definitely don’t get the season we had been hoping for or expecting. I strangely still think we will beat BYU. We just are just out of BXII contention, which sucks, unless craziness happens.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

I have to ask you, have you seen the schedule? Where do you see those 4-5 wins coming from?

prestitute
          Participant

Yeah, I have seen the schedule, and there isn’t a game that should be scary, but we obviously aren’t as good as we thought, either, so there are also no gimmes. I see TCU and Houston as both likely wins. I see BYU as a pretty strong possibility, too. UCF and CU are also both possible wins. Iowa St is less likely, but it isn’t out of the question. There is not a single game where I think we are clearly out of it, but by the same token, we could easily lose 4 more games, too. I think we are better than we have looked, and getting Karene and O’Toole back will help a lot. I will pick us to win the next 2 as well as BYU and UCF for the 4 I think we win. CU is also a very winnable game. Realistically, we won’t magically improve, so I don’t think we look great, but I will put is at 8-4 at the end of the year based on where we are, which is a huge disappointment. It isn’t that I think we are great, it is that I know the rest of the teams we play aren’t great either. We haven’t been outclassed in any games, but we have definitely been outplayed in the last 2.

The Miami Ute
            Participant

You forgot to take one thing into consideration…every team left in our schedule has a functioning QB room. Unless Utah makes some progress in that direction, victories are going to be hard to come by. Hope is not a method.

prestitute
              Participant

Have you not seen most of these teams play? You think UCF has a functioning QB room? TCU jas an Ok QB, but the team isn’t good at all. Iowa St and CU are the only 2 teams left on our schedule with what I would consider healthy/good QB situations (though Hoover is pretty good as a player, TCU is a bigger tire fire than us). Our schedule isn’t very good, and I do think we will get a bit better as the season goes on based on natural progression with Wilson. This team currently reminds me of 07 or 2017, or last year. not great, but there are plenty of good pieces, and we play a lot of just ok teams, too. That is where I see us getting 4 more wins.

6 1
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

I mean, who really cares…with the 12 team playoff, bowls are about as relevant as a horse drawn carriage.

MFury
        Participant

You’re right. Dammit.

In my midnight stupor my mind reverted back to when the post season eligibility mattered. I actually have no idea where a mid tier big12 bowl would be, if it would be worth playing in.

quagmire
      Participant

Bowls have been relegated to scrimmages for second and third stringers and have as much interest as the wnba.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.