Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Rose

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      5 1
      HeyyyUguyyys
      Participant

Like everybody else here I have been analyzing the reasons why a team with so much promise just a month ago could have fallen so far. For all of the discussion about Whit, Ludwig, Cam, and Wilson, I really think that arguably the most important character (or non character) in this story is probably Brandon Rose. We can talk about unimaginative play calling or putting all of your eggs in an injury prone QBs basket, but riding Rising as far as he was going to take us was absolutely the right move. Having said that, injuries are a part of the game and QB is far and away the most important position on the field. It’s not even remotely close. When the backup QB candidates are a 17 year old and a guy that had been in the program for 3 months, Rose HAS to be more ready than that. Wilson is getting picked apart for what he hasn’t done well, but what about the guy who has been in the program for two years already and should be way ahead at this point? I don’t know if coaches just didn’t develop him, or more likely, we just over valued him in the recruiting process. Not having him ready to be a serviceable backup despite a lot of time to get there has been absolutely crushing.

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

I think it was honestly just a recruiting miss. It happens. We’re known for it honestly with Tuttle and Costelli being in our recent past along with Nate Johnson from that same Rose class. I’m a real believer Isaac will continue to improve though.

Roy Rangum
      Participant

Two points:
      1) While I am super grateful Rose has stuck with us (as we may still yet need him), my belief is that he’s just not good enough to be “the guy”.
      2) Our quarterback development sucks. While yes we have had a few great QBs in the past few years, I believe Huntley and Rising’s success is far more because of who they are, and not so much what we did for them. Maybe Rose could have become something better if the support and development was there, but it’s not there. Having Ludwig be the quarterbacks coach was a poor choice in my opinion, and until we get staff that can develop quarterbacks, our team will always play with a glass ceiling.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

What do Brandon Rose, Nate Johnson, Peter Costelli, Bryson Barnes, JaQuinden Jackson, Sam Huard, Mack Howard and Cooper Justice all have in common?

What do Brian Johnson, Cam Rising and Tyler Huntley all have in common?

hint: one set of names were recruited and coached up by one man. the other set were just coached up by the same man. Perhaps the problem lies with talent identification instead of the individual players themselves.

RustyShackleford
      Participant

I think you guys are underestimating the amount of high school QBs that bust in college. It’s one of the hardest positions to project.

HeyyyUguyyys
      Participant

To be clear, I know that evaluating talent, especially quarterbacks is very difficult. It’s very difficult for the most seasoned talent evaluators in the NFL and college. I’m not even saying that the fact that Rose isn’t the guy is his fault. I’m sure he is a great kid that works hard, but it’s been interesting that all of the focus seems to be on Rising’s injuries or Ludwig’s incompetence. Almost nothing has been said about the fact that coaches misevaluated Rose to begin with, and it has cost us dearly.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I think rose is in the dog house for some reason. Isn’t he the one that coach keeps saying hasn’t learned the playbook yet? Either that or he hasn’t learned the playbook in 2 years, which is a concern.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Rose was also the guy who was QB1B coming out of spring ball in ’23. He had the inside track in fall camp should Rising not be able to go per all reports and OnlyU. Then Bishop crunches him during a scrimmage and ever since he doesn’t know the playbook.

I never realized that a kidney (liver?) surgery could have such an effect on playbook assimilation but he certainly went from the best option to persona non grata in a hurry.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Maybe he is a game time decision each week. Seriously either he isn’t good enough to play or Wilson just stands out at practice. Wilson emerged as the clear #2 in fall camp. It’s hard to believe he hasn’t as least got a series or two the last two years.

Utegator
      Participant

I’m not sure if i’m right, but wasn’t Rose picked to be the starter, until Cam came back, before injuring his kidney?

tgi56slc
      Participant

Remember when Barnes was injured and the coaching staff turned to Bottari not Rose.

I think that tells you what they think of Rose.

I think we should be wondering where’s Huard? He’s the higher rated QB & has experience. But he’s not on the radar. Why?

Rick Walker
        Participant

Maybe it’s time we start the ultimate Quarterback experiment and give each QB on the roster one drive in the first half and then decide who’s the best for the second half.

2 1
      Utah#1
      Participant

IMO, over the years I don’t take everything coach Whitt says as gospel but more like with a grain of salt until the team passes the eyeball test, and even then, that can be hard until your star player or players go down at any given time during a season, then you will find out if the team goes from top 10 to mediocre. With that being said, I’ve lost respect for him as a coach as a result of what has transpired. Hope he figures it out or the fanbase and the players will turn on him fast, and don’t believe the Harlan or an U admin will be help to protect him much longer.

Trailgoat
      Participant

Maybe BR is content with getting a paid for education, some team NIl cash, drive around in a free truck, enjoying the school and team/friends/college life. Not a bad gig. Crazy what college football has turned into.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Totally agree with that. Not everyone wants to play in the NFL. Some guys have more brains than talent (e.g. Jack Tuttle) and use the system to have a good time at college and have all of their studies paid for. In today’s normal person environment, there’s nothing better than graduating from college with one or two degrees and no debt.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Here’s what shocks me…in the 2023 Spring Game, Rose showed the most talent and promise of all the QBs that played. That’s why everyone thought, myself included, that he was QB2 going into the season. Then he got injured in practice and the narrative changed completely to one that he didn’t know the playbook. I’m still completely flabbergasted at that notion…how could a guy be in your program for so long and not know the playbook? And the funny thing is that you still hear faint rumblings of that notion today. So, Isaac, an 18 year old freshman, is better equipped to run the offense that a guy that’s been in the program for multiple years?

jshame17
        Participant

I’m with you. We also heard repeatedly that he “had the best arm in the room”.

He was in line to be the guy and in thwart of the QB battle, and poof, nothing.

TruckStopTerrors
          Participant

I wonder if the lacerated kidney he suffered impacted him mentally. I’m not saying he all of a sudden got the yips or anything, but to go from being thought of that highly to not being QB2 over a true freshman…. Then not transferring out…. Makes you wonder.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.