Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Running Back

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Running Back

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      bopahull
      Participant

Bernard has shown that he is a very effective RB, that is no surprise. He has always been an elusive back and a solid receiver.
      So far this year, I think Vincent has impressed me more than any of the other backs running out of the backfield. Mitchel doesn’t seem to pick his hole , he just runs straight into the line, and Stanley has the speed but not the strength to break tackles.

5 1
      Yergensen
      Participant

What has surprised people about MB is his durability and workhorse capability.

The narrative, which I never believed, was MB couldn’t carry a full workload. Whitt was saying just last week MB is not a 25 carry a game guy. Well, Coach…

MB has done everything asked of him, reduced and specialty roles, bigger roles, offense, defense and special teams roles. He’s done it all and proven a lot of people wrong along the way.

He may not qualify (due to limited use) as an all-time great Utah RB, but he may have a season this year that ranks with the greats He’s one of my all-time favorite Utes.

As far as the rest of the RB room, we need to go shopping.

pedro
        Participant

Nothing personal, but if the staff thinks they should limit him, when possible, to 25 carries a game, I’m going to go ahead and bet that they know what they’re doing and are trying to preserve his health. The wear and tear of more carries is likely not sustainable for the entire season.

RoboUte
        Participant

He was running hurt at the end of last week and it’s September. Might want to pump the brakes

Yergensen
          Participant

Every RB, college and NFL is running hurt in September and throughout the season. It goes with the position. So, that in no way says MB is less durable or injury prone (see label slapped on JJ last year).

For the record, if the goal is season long activity and career longevity, I don’t think any RB should be getting 25 carries a game.

MB “can’t carry a full workload”, “isn’t durable enough”. This is the stuff MB himself has said he’s working hard to disprove.

From MB last week, “I’ve been trying to work for a long time to get here,” Bernard said. “This is the most carries I ever had. I’ve been trying, I’ve been working for the last five, six years to try to get to this level, to where coaches trust me and believe in me to have 25 carries. So it’s been a long time coming, and I’m finally glad that I have everybody’s trust in order to give me the ball.”

RustyShackleford
        Participant

If you don’t have to have him carry the ball 25 times a game you shouldn’t. Keeping carries low on RBs will benefit him later in the season. So far from what I’ve seen out of the back up’s we don’t have that luxury

PhiBetaUte
      Participant

Bernard is a gamer but I wonder about his durability over the course of the season. I doubt he can sustain the number of carries and hits and still stay upright. Mitchell is a redshirt freshman and is learning his way. Zack Moss had the same issues in his early days. I still wonder what’s happened to Glover who was a serviceable RB2/3 and could spell RB1. He’s listed on the current roster.

Ghost of the HEB
        Participant

Good chance we’ll see Glover on Saturday

CoyoteUte
        Participant

Wonder what happened with that Idaho transfer? Thought someone mentioned injury, but it seems like that happened before he even got here?

Uteanooga
          Participant

Season-ending injury. Expected back next year as I remember.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Honestly I think Utah wanted to pass more this season. But well it is what it is and Bernard has risen to the occasion again.

ProudUte
        Participant

If Rising had not got hurt, I think you would have seen much more passing. Just my opinion.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

Bernard has RISEN to the occasion. Jeez. How on the nose do I need to be.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

Since it hadn’t already been mentioned yet, Bernard is currently 6th in the nation in yards rushing this season. He’s only 1-yd behind #5 Kyle Monangai (Rutgers), and 6-yds behind #4 Ja’Quinden Jackson (Arkansas).

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

Bernard does have a higher average YPC than those two, though.

mfaulk80
      Participant

Mitchell is put in for short yardage situations or other situations where it’s clear that we’re going to run. It’s not really fair to judge him on the same curve IMO.

Micah is balling out though…and I’m not surprised. He’s always shown a lot of talent IMO.

UteRapidJazz
      Participant

I think Mitchel has easily been the second best back but with his injury he has only been used in short down situations. But Vincent was good last week as well

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.