ESPN

Sam Huard

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Sam Huard

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Zigziggler
      Participant

I would like to think that our quarterbacks, namely IW, BR just were better than Sam Huard. But I wonder from Huard’s perspective, what is he doing? He came with 2 years of eligibility, (I think) and he wasn’t even 3 string for Saturdays game against Olk St. I fully understand there is a learning curve here but my gosh he is only going to have one year left to outperform IW, BR and any others that are in the roster. What a waste of football talent. He could have went to a myriad of places and started. Vanderbilt, Baylor, Miss St., he could have stayed in the big West at any of the California Schools and pretty much started. If he is in it to get noticed by the NFL, he will not get noticed due to play time at Utah. If he is reserved to just getting an education well Utah is good. But there are other places just as good if not more prestigious for an education than Utah.

Kellso
      Participant

He came to Utah for a chance to complete as a QB. He achieved that. He didn’t make QB 1 or 2. Evidently he’s a high character man and did not quit to run off to another program/education. The same might be said for Rose. From a selfish standpoint I’m grateful to have quality people like that in our system.

BSC8
        Participant

I asked a player on the team about Huard. He responded that he is 100% sure Utah has the best scout team quarterback in the country.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

Quality kid and family. We are lucky to have him in our program.

Rick
          Participant

Amen to each of these responses and I hope he stays for a final year. I think he’ll push Isaac and become the backup if he does.

Zigziggler
      Participant

No doubt he is quality. I am just making the point that for this young man’s future in football he needs to be seen. If he is just about an education, that is great. That should be the most important long range achievement. However if he is about the opportunity to make great money immediately, he needs to take advantage of his athletic ability and get play time. High character is what we all want for our children. But all our children don’t have the athletic ability that Sam Huard has.

Onlyu
        Participant

Sam didn’t come here this year to start. He knew that it was Cam’s job and came to compete for the job next year. He is a great kid with incredible arm talent. He looked fantastic in pre camp work, dove into the playbook and learned as much as he could.

The problem was once camp started he just wasn’t able to check into the right plays or adjust as quickly as he needed too and struggled. We’ve heard it said many times that Lud’s offense is challenging and combine that with the level that our defense plays at and you face a very difficult learning curve.

At this point Sam is in it for the long haul, to compete for the role next year as a starter or a back up. Clearly Issac has moved ahead and has gotten more opportunity than expected this year and looked pretty good with his reps so maybe that changes into next year but we’ll see.

Another quick point…Issac was in the building a lot last Spring. He had the advantage of living 25 min away so had a 5-6 month advantage learning the offense while Sam was finishing up at CP.

ProudUte
          Participant

Huard seems like a standup guy. I hope he stays around. I like having him in theQB room.

Zigziggler
            Participant

Selfishly, I want him to stick around for insurance purposes. However since we are all becoming IW fans I doubt Huard will have a chance. Next year we have BR, IW, Wyatt Becker. We have Crystal ball lean for Brady Palmer right now QB out of California.I am also assuming we bring in another veteran to stabilize the QB group next year. Huard would be the most senior QB we got but, going against IW will be an uphill climb. If I am Huard and obviously I’m not I’m going somewhere that offers me the starting gig no questions asked and just ball out and cross my fingers for a professional look.

Uteanooga
      Participant

I think Huard will have a chance if Whitt is still the coach. He has a pretty strong history of playing whomever gives Utah the best chance of winning. If Huard can progress past IW then he will play IMO. If not then he could well be QB2 and we all know how quickly QB2 can become QB1.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.