Scalley once again named HC in waiting.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Awesome news…so great to see!! Thanks for posting this!

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Good news. I’m happy for him and think he’ll be successful. The first few years might be a little bit bumpy like they were with Whitt, but with Whitt sticking around in an advisory role, it should go as smoothly as it possibly could.

UteNamedOg
        Ute Fan
        @utenamedog

Can’t go wrong with blitzing on third and 15

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

You have to think this means (1) scalley was getting offers elsewhere or (2) Whit has indicated privately that he is going to retitre in a year or two, or both.

Given that next year is a quasi rebuilding year, I could see him hanging it up next winter.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Yes good call, and he was. Steve Bartle confirmed that this was agreed to earlier in the year when SC/Lincoln Riley was pursuing Scalley to be their DC. Interesting that they’ve waited until now to make his new contract public.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

And here’s some more interesting news about Scalley’s contract. Depending on when he is promoted to HC, Scalley already has his annual salary worked out. IMO, this answers the question/concern that Whitt must be retiring after this year. Because they’ve worked it out where the longer Whitt decides to coach, the higher Scalley’s salary gets increased to account for this. Whitt still might end up hanging it up after this year, but it appears to me that everything is in place for Whitt to make the call whenever he wants.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Scalley is smarter than that. Obviously, he’ll use it as leverage for more money and getting the coach in waiting title back. But hitching his wagon to Lincoln Riley would be a bone headed move at this point. Maybe they’ll turn things around down there, but I’ve heard rumors that Kiel McDonald is having buyers remorse.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Lets hope this is not the curse of Phil Bengsten

Ute in Chatt
        Ute Fan
        @phinney23

I’m super excited for Morgan Scalley. He has done a great job of following Whit’s defensive genius. I think it is a great move and shows consistency in an age of volatility at all levels.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

(For lurking Zoobs from ClownBoard)I love seeing Utah taxpayer dollars being put to the best possible use!! $7M to Whitt, $2.5M to Lud, $2M to Scalley…love it!!We need to get the Utah Athletics Utah County Tax increase passed to funnel more tax dollars to our state’s flagship university! Best money spent!!

BD
            Ute Fan
            @flyfisherman

(For lurking Zoobs from ClownBoard)I love seeing Utah taxpayer dollars being put to the best possible use!! $7M to Whitt, $2.5M to Lud, $2M to Scalley…love it!!We need to get the Utah Athletics Utah County Tax increase passed to funnel more tax dollars to our state’s flagship university! Best money spent!!

Completely agree. An investment in Utah football is an investment in the University of Utah, which is an investment in the state of Utah.

Utah’s jump to the Pac-12 brought enormous benefits to the university and therefore to the state of Utah. And, I don’t have the numbers, but I do remember hearing/reading about how just playing in the Rose Bowl resulted in increased interest in the university from outside the state of Utah.

Tax dollars well spent, regardless of what low-IQ opinions on CougarBoard say (I haven’t lurked there so I am not aware of what nonsense they are spewing, but I can only imagine!)

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Good move for recruiting. I’m confident that our competitors for croots are using the likelihood of Whit retiring against us. Knowing that there’s a succession plan and stability will be a big deal. It isn’t better than Whitt bing here for the next 10 years with confidence, but better than having to go through a whole coaching search and upending the program.

NashvilleUte
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilleute05

It’s nice to have this confirmed again, but it’s not even remotely surprising. I’d have been absolutely shocked if he didn’t become our next HC with or without this announcement.

The important question is who will be his coordinators? It’s pretty much a sure thing that when Whitt retires so will Ludwig. Maybe Harding? Maybe someone currently outside the program? Who replaces him at D Coordinator? Don’t know… I wouldn’t be opposed to Sitake returning. I keep hearing how the Zoobs think he’s the reason they suck (he’s not). Plus it would be nice to rub it in their faces if he comes back and is successful again. I really don’t see it happening, but I wouldn’t be opposed to it either.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I think I’d prefer to see Scalley poach Jay Hill to come back to Utah since the Zoobs all have their hopes pinned on him replacing Sitake.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

My guess is Coach Shah moves to the DC. Just a guess.

ukiyoronin
            Ute Fan
            @ukiyoronin

That would make a lot of sense. He’s awesome.

BD
            Ute Fan
            @flyfisherman

My guess is Swan.

Sanders
              Ute Fan
              @sanders

He’s been around long enough that he probably already has his assistant coaches hand picked. Those private conversations have already been made.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute
Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Scalley once again named HC in waiting.