• Author
      bopahull
      Participant
      Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Thanks for that. 

ProudUte
      Participant

I hope the coaches can get things fixed because our defense was not great last Saturday.  We need to be better if we want to win the conference, especially our rushing defense.  However, we did hold FL to 29 points.  So, I don’t think we were terrible.  But, let’s see what FL does tomorrow and going forward.

Charlie
      Participant

My guess is Richardson will make several good teams look bad on defense. Florida’s best offensive weapon is #15 on broken plays. I don’t think any other aspect of their offense is likely to pass this item up. Sadly, a running QB on broken plays has been a problem for Utah for sometime.

Possibly, our man to man defense gives opponents the opportunity to pull the LBers and secondary downfield or to clear a side. After a 4 or 5 count, so often there is an edge or the middle that grants the opportunity to run. For that reason, when facing a very good running QB, I favor a spy. It should not be every down and should randomly rotate through a couple of defenders, each of which must be quick. The team that beats Florida will have a good plan for these broken plays.

Ute Dub
        Participant

Yes. Tough to guard against the jump double pump pass fake and then pirouette and run with 4.4 40 speed. Utah may be the most disadvantaged against Richardson as they had no film to see his tendencies. Future oponents will have the advantage of seeing some of his body of work. 

You are correct about pulling the whole defense to one side of the field. Damn. We got burned on that more than once. 

Charlie
          Participant

There was enough clips that I saw to see this issue. When I saw them it reminded me of the game with TDS last year where I came into the game thinking this is priority one. Edge control is so difficult when you also mix it with rush the passer. Maybe we will do better against running QBs now this year.

UtahUtesRock
          Participant

just hope it doesn’t rear it’s ugly head against UCLA’s QB. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.