TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Snake bitten

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      7 1
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

We finally get our QB back and first series he gets hit and twists his knee or ankle. We got a glimpse of why he hasn’t played. He still can’t grip the ball. I would guess 50% of normal to start the game throwing. His ability to run and put a spark back in the team was worth the risk even though Wilson gave us a better chance to win.

It was obvious to everyone he couldn’t run or push off his back foot after the leg injury. Immobile and can’t throw. At that point Wilson was clearly better. I put that solely on the coaches. What happened to who gives us the best chance?

Nobody feels worse than Cam and he wanted to be out there with his team. The poor guy is just snake bitten at this point. I’m curious to see how bad the injury is. My guess is bad enough we might not see him again. My hope is he sits out until the BYU game and comes back for a last hooray. My heart goes out to him. He is a true warrior (with bad luck).

Anfernee
      Participant

And the continual trend (from last year) as well. Injuries. Dumani and Keenan Johnson for the season. Last week no Reid and O’Toole yet again. Tanuvasa out. Fotu out. Just maddening.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

Seems like our strength and conditioning is failing.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Way too many injuries over an extended period of time to say it’s just bad luck.

RoboUte
            Participant

Statistics will get you. The farther we stray from an expected value of injuries the more improbable it becomes that there isn’t an underlying cause cause. I don’t know if robust injury data exists for CFB but if it did it would be interesting to put together some analysis. The sniff test tells me something’s going on.

Rick Walker
          Participant

Honestly, I’m starting to wonder if the Under Armour cleats have something to do with it. It seems like a lot of the avoidable injuries have been lower body/leg injuries that could easily be affected by the cleat, and Under Armour just has been going downhill for a while now. Obviously strength and conditioning should be looked at but I’m curious what other confounding variables exist.

RoboUte
            Participant

I’ve been harping on this one here and there for a few weeks now. When the injury bug started to seem suspicious to my eye I started thinking about unique factors about Utah that could contribute and that one jumped out right away. Having worn a pair of underarmor shoes I can say with certainty that they aren’t there, probably never will be.

The Miami Ute
              Participant

I have a pair of Under Armour Utah Utes branded running shoes and I never wear them because they’re so uncomfortable.

//r00t4Utes
            Participant

Well, the Utes aren’t the only team to wear Under Armour. Look how Notre Dame, Auburn, South Carolina, Boston College, Wisconsin, and the home state for the company Maryland (there’s more schools I’m just remembering the bigger schools) are doing with injuries. If all or most of them always have more injuries, then you might have something

Clearly, none of Cam’s injuries can be attributed to equipment or brand.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Not putting Isaac in when anyone who has eyes in their head could see that was the logical move is a real damning statement on Whitt. It’s just indefensible. Maybe Whitt got caught up in the game like an inveterate gambler gets caught up in one more roll of the dice, thinking that next series will be the charm for Rising.

Whatever the case, it was clearly the wrong decision and likely cost Utah the game.

Now, the team has to figure out where it goes from here because this season has the potential to turn into a semi going sideways.

First step, Rising doesn’t play until he’s healthy. This means he likely never plays another down for Utah but so be it. Every practice or game snap that Rising takes from here on in is just delaying Isaac’s development.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

I agree Miami. I’m a huge Cam fan and I would have taken him out when it was clear he was hurt. Playing through an injury is one thing. Playing through two injuries (hand and leg)is impossible.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Playing with an injury AND being completely ineffective is what seals the deal. It’s one thing to be injured and still be competent. It’s quite another to be injured and miss easy completions because you can’t throw a football accurately.

Jim Vanderhoof
            Participant

Or move to get out of trouble or run for a first down. If you can’t throw you better be able to run.

highlandute7
        Participant

Amen, Miami.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Yes Anfernee the whole team seems snake bitten. Would Reid or Tanuvasa made a tackle on Scattabos two long touchdown runs?

I sometimes wonder if this hard physical play mantra is sustainable at times. Sometimes just wrapping up and making a tackle works over trying to decleat someone.

Our offensive line was really good last game. Too bad we couldn’t throw. Bernard is a stud.

utefansince79
      Participant

Massive pressure from fans demanding the return of Cam Rising (only to be hurt within a few plays) made it difficult to pull him. If they had put Isaac in and he struggled, some fans would have been screaming about it.

Damn I hate injuries.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

I’m not sure I buy that. I think Whitt is pretty tone deaf on what fans want. I think Whitt actually thought that Rising would play well and that the next series was when he would start putting it together. Unfortunately, games only last 60 minutes and time ran out.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

I disagree. The second the head coach starts listening to fans on how to run his team, he’s done. You pay the guy 7 MM per to know better than that.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

My hope is he sits out until the BYU game and comes back for a last hooray.

Nope. Let him walk with the other seniors before Iowa State. Give him a couple of plays in the 2nd quarter so that he can walk off the field to thunderous applause for everything he did for the program. And let him ride off into the sunset on Whitt’s Harley.

The last thing I want is someone trying to come back from multiple injuries for what may be the biggest emotional game of the season. Rising is done. It’s not his fault. But subverting more of this season so that he can have a farewell tour means that you’ve given up on team at the expense of player. And that can’t happen.

utefansince79
      Participant

I say if we are ahead against Iowa State and able to take the V formation, have Cam come out to take the knee. Other than that his time is done.

Will never forget his performance against USC a few years ago.

1 1
        2008 National Champ
        Participant

Selfishly, I want Rising to go out in style. Kind of like those kids games where they bring in a kid in a wheelchair and everyone gets out of the way so that he can score a TD. Everyone is in on it, everyone cheers but no one takes it seriously.

If you send him in before the game is over but he can’t influence the outcome, he can have his last moment, and everyone can move on. You can even tell Iowa State that on the first play of the 1st drive in the 2nd quarter, you are going to call a handoff to Bernard and please don’t kill our already injured QB. We have a highlight package ready to go to honor him. Bernard will take a knee at the LOS, we’ll have our little ceremony and then the game can start again at 2nd & 10.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Participant

That’s a low blow Champ. Bottom line he wasn’t healthy enough to play. Cam felt the pressure to play and hoped he could gut it out. The injured leg was a nail in the coffin. We don’t know the extent of the injury but you know it’s bad. Out indefinitely or season ending?

2008 National Champ
            Participant

I’m missing the low blow that I apparently made?

In soccer when a player gets injured, the other team kicks the ball back to them once play resumes. It’s called sportsmanship. In MLB, they routinely stop play to celebrate records. Or put a retiring player into the field for half and inning so that the manager can take him out and the home crowd can show their appreciation. And it isn’t unprecedented for a football player to limp onto the field for one final snap so that he can lauded as he comes out of the game.

Was it the wheelchair reference? I was talking about something I used to see on sportscenter whenever they wanted to do a feel good story about how kid’s understand that moments can be as important as the games. I certainly didn’t mean that Rising should be in a wheelchair or was making fun of his injury. I appreciate what he has accomplished at Utah as much as anyone.

1 3
              Jim Vanderhoof
              Participant

If you don’t know I feel sorry for you.

2008 National Champ
                Participant

If I’ve truly said something offensive but don’t know what it was, how will I learn?

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

For a competitor and ultimate team player to go out 1st play second quarter take a knee cost your team a down and stop the game so we can glorify him on senior night. It’s a low blow to think he would ever agree to that. Can you imagine Whitt letting that happen?

jshame17
        Participant

Yes, because Whitt clearly lets Cam do whatever he wants.

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cam say he’s starting for the BYU game no matter what, and Whitt will let it happen.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Thanks for letting me know Jim. Sounds more like a difference of opinion than that I said anything really bad.

I guess I’d like to see Rising’s last play be something other than not being able to avoid the rush and getting bent over in the 4th quarter at ASU. So even just a ceremonial goodbye where we could all express how much he’s meant to the program. Of course, I’m operating on the assumption that he will not be healthy again this season and won’t come back for an 8th year.

You’re old enough to remember Joe Theisman’s last play. He’s said many times that he is haunted by the way his career ended. I’m all for one last shot at highlighting the good of Rising’s time at Utah and putting the last two years behind us.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Thanks for clarifying. The wheelchair comment along with the stop the game struck me wrong. I know you mean well. I too think Cam took his last snap as a Ute. It looked like a knee injury the way he bent. Right knee this time.I think honoring him before the Iowa state game on senior night is enough. I’m sure he hates the focus being on him. I think we all had grand illusions of this year I know I did. Amazing how 1 position can make such a big difference in wins.

Red Rhino
      Participant

I’m not a doctor, but this makes sense to me, (found it online, so it must be true):

“It is possible for an athlete to gain so much muscle mass that the torque generated by those muscles exceeds the capacity of their tendons to handle, potentially leading to tendon injuries, especially if muscle growth outpaces the adaptation of the tendons to increased load; this is a key reason why proper training progression and focus on tendon health are crucial for athletes aiming to build significant muscle mass.”

With all the movement of players from one position to another and with trying to bulk up quickly to become extra physical, it seems it may be possible that their muscles are out growing the strength of the their tendons.

If there is a doctor on the forum, please correct me if this is incorrect.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.