Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

So what would you do if your were the coach?

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So what would you do if your were the coach?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

This is just hypothetical. We all know our offense does not look good and we have numerous key injuries. I would even go as far as – it is the worst offense we have seen in the Whittingham era. (It’s amazing that we are 4-1. It says a lot about our defense.)

So, what would you do if you were coach? Obviously, we do not know everything that Whitt and Ludwig know. Let’s assume that Cam and Barnes cannot play and that Jackson is out for a few more weeks.

For me, we have to be creative and maybe unorthodox. Those of you who are older will remember the “Duck” formation we used in the 80s when our offense was struggling. I say we need to do the unpredictable. We should use different formations and plays with some twists. (I like the Vaki run play at OSU.) We have to go away from just handing the ball to Glover.

Secondly, we should IMO bring out 1 or 2 of the freshmen running backs. We have no depth and Glover cannot do this on his own. Curry is not where we would like him to be.

If Rose has any chance of playing, we need to give him some reps. I just don’t really know his status.

I certainly do not have the answers, but I do know that doing the same thing that hasn’t been working will not help. We have numerous injuries to our best playmakers. It is unfortunate, but as Whitt often says, “No one is going to feel sorry for us.”

3 3
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

If I were Whitt right now I would do the same thing he has been doing all year. Hope Cam can play so we can open the offense up. Hope JJ can play so we can get back to 4 yards instead of two on first down.

Next best option punt!!

If the punter goes out. See what Rose can do and start looking for a portal qb for next year.

Yergensen
      Participant

Nothing highly creative is needed, simply tailor offensive game plans to NJ strengths. RPO with keepers, move the pocket, have NJ throw on the run or run if option 1-2 aren’t there.

Mystery why the playcalling changed when BB came in and were plays suited for NJ. Also, why haven’t we seen the NJ utility plays from last year (runs around end) and Florida (RPO keep) + Baylor (move the pocket) called again and again? I think the answer is Whit and Lud hoped to win with a conservative offensive gameplan against OSU as they did against UCLA and it didn’t work.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

It’s obvious they don’t trust NJ with the ball. I agree if you’re going to play him what do you have to lose? We’ve scored 14 points in two games. Turn him loose and see what he can do. He’s a gamer and showed it against OSU.

Charlie
          Participant

I think coaches are less risky with NJ when he is the only serviceable QB. I think we will see conservative play calling if there is no backup QB that has had reps. The bye week allows us to work on the team without a concern for preparing for an opponent. Hopefully, we have two weeks of practice for what will be game time QB1 and QB2. The same could be said for RB, two ready to go will be awesome. Next, some focus on bringing the TEs into the passing game is a good option. Last week’s TD indicates this could be close. If the starting center is back options there would be good. Hopefully Logan Fano will not be gone long, it is a must that O’Toole and Fillinger are available while he is gone. Even though it is not our strength, we must be ready to pass over a rolled up defense and accept some broken play runs or sacks to create space for short passes and the run game.

D T
            Participant

LF tore his ACL.

2008 National Champ
              Participant

That’s a tough break. He was well on his way to Defensive Freshman of the Year which would have been Utah’s 3rd straight.

UtMtBiker
          Participant

He showed it against OSU? I must have been watching a different game.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

I think he’s referring to the beating he took, not his throwing stats.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Coach can only use the tools he has to work with. Split the reps among those who he thinks will start and hope the bye week makes the difference in terms of getting enough players back.

Caliman
      Participant

If I was HC at Utah, I’d find 1-2 legit pure pocket passers with a lil running ability. Pick up 3-4 legit recivers, MP is ok, but the rest are crap,

22Ute22
        Participant

Vele and Matthews definitely aren’t crap. Pittman probably isn’t that good, but we don’t know since he’s barely played. Simmons is terrible though. McClain looked really good against Weber State.

ORute
      Participant

Steady dose of handoffs up the middle and 5 yard slants. Then once a game find the TE for a TD.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Get that Oline figured out. Especially after all the talk up about it you did.
      No point in Rising coming back if 1-3 Dlineman are hitting him every other down.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.